Cutting off the QLA

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up my barrel for the 50cal. Black Mountain Magnum this morning. Here are the photos of the work. For those who are interested, this work was done for $60.

View attachment 8291View attachment 8292

View attachment 8291
The QLA was 7/8" deep and very nice to load conical or sabot. The front sight and the rib were moved back and the barrel was cold blued. Now for testing......

AWESOME DEAL!! I am anxious to hear of your Results with it

Nice job, I picked up one of these black mountain magnum barrels and have considered doing the same thing.

Well, I found time to set up a target and see what the results that I was faced with.

First, I stroked the barrel 100 times with Montana Xtreme.

I checked the bore with some sabots, which was the only thing I had that was close. The first shots were with 70 grains of Swiss 3F and a couple 300 grain XTP in Crush Rib Sabots, about .502. The results were not much to brag about. The target was set at 40 yards.

I decided to move on to 80 grains of Swiss 3F and some 300 grain Harvester PT with the Crush Rib Sabot they come with. The first two shots are at the 10 o'clock position. The peep was adjusted just a little. And then the third and fourth shots are around the dot.

I want to see what some lead bullets will do, but all I had for now was a half box of No Excuses 420 grain at .503. That will be another day.
TC BMM target.JPG

Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR

Dave, Do you have any 2F Swiss by chance? How about some 1/8” Wool Felt Over Powder Wads? If you can do so, Try 80 Grains of Swiss 2F, Push an 1/8” Wool Felt Wad Down on the Charge, Followed by a Nice SHARP BASE Bullet :lewis:

I HIGHLY advise Bullshop’s .504-460s, Dan makes a FINE BULLET!! He is One of the ONLY i can advise. I believe Dan can Size them to Whatever you Need?

Hi Lewis. I did see your shooting comparison with 2F and 3F. For now all I can get is 3F. This next week I will start working on finding the powder and getting some good lead bullets. I do shoot an over the powder wad, 54 cal, 1/8".
Did you have any better luck getting ahold of Dan by phone? He has not responded to an email.

It looks as though the bore might be right at .500. The .502 sabots were fairly stiff - but a one hand load, definitely in the 20 pound class. I am pleased with todays shooting. A much different pattern than before.

Any advice on a powder order?

Hi Lewis. I did see your shooting comparison with 2F and 3F. For now all I can get is 3F. This next week I will start working on finding the powder and getting some good lead bullets. I do shoot an over the powder wad, 54 cal, 1/8".
Did you have any better luck getting ahold of Dan by phone? He has not responded to an email.

It looks as though the bore might be right at .500. The .502 sabots were fairly stiff - but a one hand load, definitely in the 20 pound class. I am pleased with todays shooting. A much different pattern than before.

Any advice on a powder order?

I will help you get that Rifle Shooting Dave :lewis: I have a few Different Bullets you Can Try that i Cast from Custom Molds i had Made

This is my most Recent Copy of the Bullshop 460 Bullet, With a few Changes, This Bullet Shoots REALLY well in my 1-28 Twist Rifles, Bullet Weighs right at 460 Grains Cast of Pure Lead
mgss1zsl.jpg

This is another REALLY GOOD Bullet, A Little Heavier than Above, Just under 500 Grains when Cast of Pure Lead
gExkH49l.jpg

And this is the Lightest Custom Bullet i Cast, This thing Shoots AWESOME as well in the 1-28 Twist
tpfMuOKm.jpg

Here is a little follow up on shooting the Black Mountain Magnum.

I took the gun out today for a couple shots. Our range is open on next Wednesday and I wanted to take it there and test some loads at 50 yards. Today, I shot two shots at my house at 40 yards.

On this picture, the two patches below the center bull were the BMM 50 cal. with 70 grainsW of Swiss 2F and a 54 cal. wool wad and a 420 gr. NoExcuses conical.

The two uncovered (one hole) was the same load in my Pedersoli 50 cal.

On Wednesday, both of these guns are going to the public range to shoot at 50 yards and 75 gr.W. I am going to be shooting the 460 gr. BullShop bullets to test. Both the NoExcuse and the BullShop bullets are .502.

Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR

Attachments

• target pedersoli.JPG
    target pedersoli.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back