CVA 2021

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny thing....Pedersoli's original Gibbs 40 was a 1-24......The current offering is a 1-16.
I know, I get a bit drooly over the Gibbs myself & I did see that the .40 is in 1:16 now. Man I wish my eyes were still good enough to attempt to put a gun like that to good use. Nice price tag too.

.40 is illegal in my state for ML too but so are guns that load powder from the breech but they’re currently trying to change the law now to allow the Lehigh and Traditions “ML”.

Last edited:
.40 is illegal in my state for ML too but so are guns that load powder from the breech but they’re currently trying to change the law now to allow the Lehigh and Traditions ML.
Same here in Indiana.

A few states have added an additional primitive only season, Maryland just did this.
Its not surprising that Md did it. I'm from there, it's a big muzzleloader & bow hunting state. But like many other states, their politicians would take something very cool like that & instead of adding it too the already existing ML seasons, cut the season in half to accommodate that new season & really crap the bed. Now that would not surprise me a bit. They've had this ridiculous bs forever now where the state is divided in half with bein able to hunt with a rifle & shotgun only counties. That should change too. It sucked enough that the early ML season in mid Oct. was/is? only 2 days. I really miss deer & turkey hunting back in Md now that I've been in Fl 6yrs. I'll never get use to hunting in this kinda heat & humidity & gettin sucked dry by skeeters & deer covered in ticks

I can't see Colorado ever having a real primitive season. When I talk to them they think they already have a primitive season. They banned inlines for one year. They got so much flak that they gave up on doing that. They were going to ban BH209 when it was first released but gave up on that too.

They seem to think banning the .50 PRB for elk is a good idea. Along with banning the .45 PRB for deer. How many flintlock/caplock .45 PRB's have killed deer for centuries?

Its not surprising that Md did it. I'm from there, it's a big muzzleloader & bow hunting state. But like many other states, their politicians would take something very cool like that & instead of adding it too the already existing ML seasons, cut the season in half to accommodate that new season & really crap the bed. Now that would not surprise me a bit. They've had this ridiculous bs forever now where the state is divided in half with bein able to hunt with a rifle & shotgun only counties. That should change too. It sucked enough that the early ML season in mid Oct. was/is? only 2 days. I really miss deer & turkey hunting back in Md now that I've been in Fl 6yrs. I'll never get use to hunting in this kinda heat & humidity & gettin sucked dry by skeeters & deer covered in ticks
I think my brother told me that it’s up to the counties whether to allow rifle hunting or not.
I don’t know if they changed the other seasons or not, I usually go down there and hunt between Christmas and New Years. Unfortunately with the covid thing going on I couldn’t go this year.

LIVE IN iNDIANA AS WELL,SO HERE GOES THERE MUZZLELOADING REGULATIONS ON MUZZLELOADERS.44 CAL OR BIGGER,SINGLE BULLET OF AT LEAST.357CALIBER.SBOTS BULLETS OF AT LEAST .357 DIAMETER OR LARGER.PAGE 23 IN THE iNDIANAHUNTING AND TRAPPING GUIDE.SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS,THE BUTTON IS STUCK.😃

I think my brother told me that it’s up to the counties whether to allow rifle hunting or not.
I don’t know if they changed the other seasons or not, I usually go down there and hunt between Christmas and New Years. Unfortunately with the covid thing going on I couldn’t go this year.
Md is a fantastic hunting state across the board. You can go from open fairly flat farm land ( corn & tobacco mostly w/ soy bean here n there ) to swamps & hard woods to the mountains in western Md. Havin fantastic neighboring states Va. Pa. Wva. is great to hunt as well. I'm from southern Md. My kin is from western md. Pa. Wva. So I really got to cover some ground growin up.

Md is a fantastic hunting state across the board. You can go from open fairly flat farm land ( corn & tobacco mostly w/ soy bean here n there ) to swamps & hard woods to the mountains in western Md. Havin fantastic neighboring states Va. Pa. Wva. is great to hunt as well. I'm from southern Md. My kin is from western md. Pa. Wva. So I really got to cover some ground growin up.
What part of southern Maryland? I grew up in Charles county.

I was just havin the same convo with someone on another group about this -1:20 barrel twist they chose over a 1:16 or so. The argument was the increased pressure from the faster barrel twist would likely be too much for a non SML rated barrel. I don't have the knowledge yet to speak much on it though. The .40 sure does have my attn though I must say.
What makes everyone think this new weapon isn't strong enough for smokeless but not rated by CVA for it?

How would you know? Couldn’t you ask the same question of a bunch of muzzleloaders?
I thought that's what I just did?
All I'm saying is after reading all these posts about what folks have been able to achieve so far with what we have available and CVA's clear position on smokeless muzzle loading, to me the logical conclusion to their speed claims is a weapon made to heretofore unheard of strength standards. The physics of this matter tell us that in order to launch a 220gr projectile at 2800fps+, the pressure needed to achieve this can only be done by building a weapon strong enough to handle it. Obviously all we have to do is wait and all will be made clear in the fullness of time...but its fun postulating the possibilities till then...at least to me anyway. I meant no disrespect...I guess I should have worded my question differently...maybe if I'd said "What if CVA made a new weapon to smokeless strength standards but not certify it as such for liability reasons...could that not be how they could reach these claimed performance levels?" I guess that sounds a little less accusatory...sorry.

Last edited:
With that light a bullet (220grs), 2800fps shouldn't be a problem with heavy charges of BH209. I doubt it'll be a 1.25" straight barrel, but I have been wrong before :)

Guys are getting 2600fps shooting heavy charges of BH in 50cal. RUM's with 300gr+ bullets and factory barrels.

With that light a bullet (220grs), 2800fps shouldn't be a problem with heavy charges of BH209. I doubt it'll be a 1.25" straight barrel, but I have been wrong before :)

Guys are getting 2600fps shooting heavy charges of BH in 50cal. RUM's with 300gr+ bullets and factory barrels.
Well, whatever it is I'm holding off my Paramount Pro purchase till I see what the deal is...I hunt over open corn, soybean and hay field and to be able to be lethal out to say 400 yards without buying a custom smokeless rig would be great.

I find it easier and cheaper to just get closer. Nobody needs to take a 400 yd shot.

A few years ago I had a .270 that would easily take long shots. I did at the range. I still took 50-75 yd shots at game.

Back