CVA 2021

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will like to see how they achieved that much speed. I think the best i ever managed was 2400fps or 2500fps in a 27" 45cal 1-22 barrel with a 209 plug. A 40cal though is a whole other animal. One look at the loads, powders used and pressures for 40cal SMLs is quite different than a 45cal even with similar bullet weights.

BH209 could perform much differently in the 40 vs a 45 just like commonly used SML powders will. Just look at 30-30 BH209 data. Its well over 30kpsi, almost 35kpsi. If they are using a powder chamber in this new 40 it might be making some SML type pressures. You will need to "re-learn" everything and treat it like CF reloading. Just swapping bullet weights will creates WAY more peak just like it does in CF reloading. Whats a safe max for a 220gr will more than likely not be safe for a 300gr.

I think it would be neat to shoot a 400ish grain 40 at about the same speed as i shoot 45s using less BH209. I dont see that happening with a 40cal 1-20 but i would love to be proven wrong. Im fairly confident its gunna need a 1-16 to do that. Maybe a 1-18 at the slowest.

I’ve thought of that for the last few years - thinking the states will roll back at some point to sidelocks.. may not be in our lifetime.
Michigan has done basically the opposite. They keep opening up populated areas for the straight wall guys during the dedicated muzzleloader season and the sale of muzzleloaders has hit rock bottom, while the sales of 450's and 350's have skyrocketed.
I'd bet that if someone approached the NRC here, they could likely get SML approved.

A few states have added an additional primitive only season, Maryland just did this.

WV did this also, after all the regular seasons are over. It is this week actually. Traditional bows and ML's only.

I personally think the straightwall cartridge thing is crap. It ain't a muzzleloader 👎

I can't use a sidelock anymore because I need a scope due to my crummy vision. However, I still like the idea of a primitive season. Maybe put the inlines in rifle season and extend it a few days to keep everybody from getting too mad. I use a muzzleloader in rifle seasons when I can't get a muzzleloader tag. Then they could take all the muzzleloader restrictions off the inlines. If you're only willing to hunt the muzzy season you'll have to go primitive.

The reason the muzzleloader season in Colorado is during the rut, is because using a muzzleloader is supposed to be a handicap. If you can take 400-500 yd shots you aren't handicapped.

Glad that the majority of the states have more liberal muzzleloader seasons, with some even including SML.

There's absolutely no reason a hunter can't hunt the entire season and all seasons with a flintlock if that's what he or she prefers. Another hunter hunting with an inline should be able to do the same.

That "my way" crap is getting pretty old and with the number of hunters declining all across the Nation, along with other factors being played out currently, we should be encouraging everyone and do what is possible to keep them involved. Sometimes we have to be careful what we ask for...........

Yes, I agree. I can only talk for my state though. A lot of hunters come here.

I have a secret and can always get a deer and elk tag. Although my elk days are over. I should change my avatar. :)

Too many hands in the fire, resulted in 200.grs oh BH209 in my ML, behind a 250 he SST. I don't know what the MV was, but I am not planning on that ever happening again.

Last edited:
Not smokeless, those at CVA I know have stated that multiple times... With BH209 as an approved substitute, no reason to - I agree.
I almost agree with you. BH209 is still slightly corrosive, and there area few other little things I would enjoy losing. Ignition time, dirty barrel, etc.

WV did this also, after all the regular seasons are over. It is this week actually. Traditional bows and ML's only.

I personally think the straightwall cartridge thing is crap. It ain't a muzzleloader 👎
I could go with the straight wall cartridge IF it was an antique design and black powder or a BP substitute

I think it would be neat to shoot a 400ish grain 40 at about the same speed as i shoot 45s using less BH209. I dont see that happening with a 40cal 1-20 but i would love to be proven wrong. Im fairly confident its gunna need a 1-16 to do that. Maybe a 1-18 at the slowest.
I was just havin the same convo with someone on another group about this -1:20 barrel twist they chose over a 1:16 or so. The argument was the increased pressure from the faster barrel twist would likely be too much for a non SML rated barrel. I don't have the knowledge yet to speak much on it though. The .40 sure does have my attn though I must say.

Latest posts

Back