CVA 40 Caliber Muzzleloader Accura MR-X

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i hadn't seen this mentioned here and thought some might find it interesting .

https://internationalsportsman.com/new-cva-40-caliber-muzzleloader-accura-mr-x/
I'd be all over that .40 cal MR-X if it hit the market. The ballistics are unbelievable for a mz and it absolutely screams out of that barrel! Plus .40 cal is a very versatile caliber. I have the .45 and I thought that was pretty versatile for a muzzy but if that .40 hit the streets I'd have one. The paramount is obviously superior but also much more expensive to purchase and even shoot. I love the design but not a fan of the variflame. The fact that you have to pre prime your primers is annoying. Not a deal breaker but annoying. Point is if I could get the ballistics of the .40 in the MR-X platform? Heaven...

The .40 is more versatile than a .45?
Imo yes. Energy wise, it holds more energy at longer ranges, the cs density is obviously better, velocity is higher equaling flatter trajectory. You could power it down for coyotes and wouldn't be too much overkill, or you could take a bear with it. All of that adds up to a more versatile caliber in a rifle than a .45. I won't hesitate to put a 285 grainer in a yote, but the hole on the other side is going to be laughable. I should be able to attest to that fact soon as I plan to do some testing on coyotes with it. But to answer your question yes the .40 is not only more versatile but it's superior. Again all of this is subjective besides the numbers. (Velocity, energy, down range performance, bc etc.)

Personally, I would question the integrity of any power belt, ELR or otherwise, in a .40 when used on deer sized game and have the same reservations with .45 and .50 caliber PBs as well. Personally, I have had 250 grain, 50 cal PBs pushed with 100 grains of T7 gernade on deer shot squarely in the shoulder at 60 yards and at 78 yards. I'd like to see more and better real-life data compiled on deer sized game using those .40 ELRs; data compiled by hunters other than those directly involved with CVA.

There is a huge disparity between a coyote and a white-tail sized animal when it comes down to bullets and how well those bullets are looked at thru terminal performance.

I have a gun fully able to shoot .40 in sabots and .45 as land riding bullets, using basically any black powder or sub and including a fairly wide range of smokeless powders. I have yet to shoot this gun but when I do develop the loads I want using the .40 bullets I've chosen to shoot I will spend significant time shooting and testing those bullets to make sure they can handle deer sized game without blowing up. Similar to what you're saying here Kyle, I too have plans to do some dog shooting with this particular gun, but deer are my primary target and I am still not terribly convinced that the non-pb bullets I will shoot are tough enough for deer, but pbs are the last thing I would consider out of a 40 if a deer is the target animal.

Original Power Belts don't have a real healthy reputation and I haven't seen any reliable independent reporting done on any of those .40 ELRs. Even at 285 grains, a .40 ELR might sound a godsend on paper or by the "numbers" as you say, but how they perform on live deer-sized game is another story yet to be told.

I'm an old CVA fan but I can say that in recent years what CVA has been squelching on has not done much for me to support an old friend. CVA has stubbed both big toes on this newest venture and its going to take a lot of fessing up and changing to get people on track with trusting them. Some people are fine buying the X guns and shooting pellets and ELRs, but the mainstream shooters want to be able to make up their own minds on what bullets to shoot and with what powder. But for coyotes, an X gun and ELRs might be just the ticket.

I'm going off the threshold of the 1,000fpe mark it is deemed necessary to take deer size game when I factor these variables. Bc, energy, trajectory, cross sectional density. All things that are mathematically equated. Not opinionated. Now terminal performance is where things do get a little hairy. I've seen weight retention rates as low as 50% with PB bullets. I understand that sounds and is extremely low. But the .40 cal elr is 220 grains or so. Could be 225. I forget. Point is even if the bullet were to lose that much mass on impact you still have well over 100 grains slamming through the vitals of a light skinned animal... And I'm staying over the 1,000 fpe threshold when I factor these things. (We all know you could easily take a deer with as little as say 150 fpe with accurate shot placement.)
But the terminal performance is something I cannot attest to as I've yet to shoot a .40 cal PB. That being said I stand by my original post in that from a pure numbers standpoint, yes the .40 cal imo is certainly more versatile than the .45. the terminal performance should be very similar if we're comparing apples to apples and using elr's in both catalysts. So in that case if the .40 has a flatter trajectory more energy and better ballistics, (which it does) I'd pick up a .40 cal MR-X all day over the .45 given the extreme versatility.

Personally, I’m not a fan of anything CVA - especially their bullets. But that’s a topic for another thread.

As to the versatility question. I (and many others I think) look at .40s as a very specialized caliber. A .40 wouldn’t be legal in a number of western states for big game and your choices in bullets are severely limited compared to .45 and .50.

So in my mind, there’s no comparison to a .45 in versatility. Maybe someday down the road.

I'm going off the threshold of the 1,000fpe mark it is deemed necessary to take deer size game when I factor these variables. Bc, energy, trajectory, cross sectional density. All things that are mathematically equated. Not opinionated. Now terminal performance is where things do get a little hairy. I've seen weight retention rates as low as 50% with PB bullets. I understand that sounds and is extremely low. But the .40 cal elr is 220 grains or so. Could be 225. I forget. Point is even if the bullet were to lose that much mass on impact you still have well over 100 grains slamming through the vitals of a light skinned animal... And I'm staying over the 1,000 fpe threshold when I factor these things. (We all know you could easily take a deer with as little as say 150 fpe with accurate shot placement.)
But the terminal performance is something I cannot attest to as I've yet to shoot a .40 cal PB. That being said I stand by my original post in that from a pure numbers standpoint, yes the .40 cal imo is certainly more versatile than the .45. the terminal performance should be very similar if we're comparing apples to apples and using elr's in both catalysts. So in that case if the .40 has a flatter trajectory more energy and better ballistics, (which it does) I'd pick up a .40 cal MR-X all day over the .45 given the extreme versatility.
Personally, I’m not a fan of anything CVA - especially their bullets. But that’s a topic for another thread.

As to the versatility question. I (and many others I think) look at .40s as a very specialized caliber. A .40 wouldn’t be legal in a number of western states for big game and your choices in bullets are severely limited compared to .45 and .50.

So in my mind, there’s no comparison to a .45 in versatility. Maybe someday down the road.
To each their own. I was going to bring up the legality factor, but I'm speaking on a purely science based test not variables such as that.Personally .40 cal bullets shot at 2,500fps in normal magnums and 2,750fps in super magnums, is very intriguing. CVA and power belt bullets have been getting knocked around good lately. And maybe for good reason. Personally though, I haven't had a bad experience with either. But cut out CVA and power belt bullets. Wouldn't you think a higher velocity and energy projectile, having a better bc and cs, would therefore be more versatile? What I mean by this I guess I should explain more thorough.
With a .50 cal projectile you're going to blow a hole the size of a basketball out of the back of a coyote, but that's great news for bear or elk. Ie bigger game. With the .40 cal again cutting CVA and PB bullets out of it, having a smaller diameter yet more down range energy and velocity, would produce that same energy needed to take game such as bear, while being smaller in diameter, making it realistic to hunt smaller game all the way down to fox and cats. (I know that is a bit much still) Having more down range energy makes the caliber more versatile for distances as well as actual game size or type. If the .40 cal has more energy at 300 than the .45 then therefore you are able to use it at a wider range of distances than a .45 would be able to be used, again using that threshold as a baseline.
So when I stated that the .40 imo is more versatile than the .45, I'm speaking purely of it's VERSATILITY. Not CVA or PB's terminal performance.

Great points. To me though, “versatility” means being able to use it in a wide range of hunting situations. So, if it’s not legal in the places I hunt or there isn’t a bullet available for it that is ideal for a given target animal, then I consider it less versatile.

Let’s leave predators out for a moment because if you’re saving the pelt, there’s no muzzy made that’s what we would call “fur friendly.” So if I’m shooting a predator with a muzzy, I’m not planning to save the hide. I use my .204 Ruger for that (leaves one .204” entry hole).

So for big game, my first questions are always, “What species am I hunting?” and “at what range do I want to be able to shoot it?” I think a .40 would be fine for most deer-sized game, but if I’m hunting elk, brown bear or moose, for example, at ranges of 50-100 yards average, I want a heavy controlled-expansion bullet. I don’t know of any .40s that really fit that bill. Don’t get me wrong, I’m intrigued by the .40 as well but, there’s no doubt in my mind it’s not as versatile as a .45 or .50. With a smokeless-capable .50 really being the most versatile of any muzzy out there, IMO.

Bullet selection for the .40 is very limited - Fury, Parker, Pittman and maybe Northern Precision make a couple, but they are mostly target or thin-skinned game bullets IMO. I think that will change with more of us buying .40s, but right now, there’s a lot of hunting that I do, that I couldn’t do with a .40. Terminal performance is not all about speed or energy.

If we can shoot other full bore projectiles in their new .40 besides a PB, they may be on to something. I think the biggest issue most folk have with that is bullet selection. A lot of us don't want to be forced to shoot proprietary bullet because its the only one in spec.
Agreed. Until we actually see some of there barrels evaluated independently and tried with other bullets, it’s just speculation. I used to be a CVA fan, i own an Accura LR, a Kodiak and two Prospector pistols, and really love the MR-X in design and in theory but too many reports of dissatisfaction are keeping me from trusting them any more… for now. If i wanted a .40, and i am interested in it, it would be no contest, a Knight Peregrine.

Imo yes. Energy wise, it holds more energy at longer ranges, the cs density is obviously better, velocity is higher equaling flatter trajectory. You could power it down for coyotes and wouldn't be too much overkill, or you could take a bear with it. All of that adds up to a more versatile caliber in a rifle than a .45. I won't hesitate to put a 285 grainer in a yote, but the hole on the other side is going to be laughable. I should be able to attest to that fact soon as I plan to do some testing on coyotes with it. But to answer your question yes the .40 is not only more versatile but it's superior. Again all of this is subjective besides the numbers. (Velocity, energy, down range performance, bc etc.)
I will attest to the .45 cal on yotes. I have shot one at around 45 yards with my CVA Optima v2 with a traditions Bleed 140 Grn (might have been 170 grn) saboted bullet with 100 grn white hot. DRT almost turned him inside out. Hahaha little much at that range but he is done running deer for sure.

I will attest to the .45 cal on yotes. I have shot one at around 45 yards with my CVA Optima v2 with a traditions Bleed 140 Grn (might have been 170 grn) saboted bullet with 100 grn white hot. DRT almost turned him inside out. Hahaha little much at that range but he is done running deer for sure.
Sounds like you're havin fun

Agreed. Until we actually see some of there barrels evaluated independently and tried with other bullets, it’s just speculation. I used to be a CVA fan, i own an Accura LR, a Kodiak and two Prospector pistols, and really love the MR-X in design and in theory but too many reports of dissatisfaction are keeping me from trusting them any more… for now. If i wanted a .40, and i am interested in it, it would be no contest, a Knight Peregrine.
I think this thread turned into a CVA evaluation as opposed to a caliber evaluation as I intended with my comments... Note to self, CVA has no love here... Not saying they should or shouldn't but this is an absolute bash fest of CVA and power belt bullets. Two companies I've actually personally been successful with. But no two rifles/barrels are exactly the same harmonics everything comes into play so varying results can be expected. I stand by my statement in regards to caliber versatility. Say the .40 cal was a TC Omega or a Remington ML. Would we be having the same counter points? I think not. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but personally I think there's just a general dislike when it comes to CVA these days. I understand why. But to say they can't produce an accurate functionable muzzy is a far stretch. And even if say said .40 cal paramount or eventually Accura's is restricted to one bullet design, (elr's) I don't see the issue. If it works why not use it??? All rifles are designed with a certain projectile in mind... That's how twist rates are determined, bore diamater etc. And "independent evaluation", what about all the satisfied paramount customers, shooting ethically out to 4-500 yards? Shots hitting as far as 700 is what I've seen, one hit at 1,000 yards is the furthest I've seen yet. (By ethical I am using the 1,000fpe threshold standard held for deer and even bear) Again I think it's just a CVA bash as opposed to a caliber assessment. Just my opinion though. What's not my opinion are the ballistics which I feel as though people are ignoring. In regards to legality where I am I am not restricted in caliber so the versatility of the caliber may be more so to me than others. Which is why I stated it was my opinion it was more versatile but fact that it has superior ballistics. To each their own though, hey I have no affiliation with CVA. Heck bash them all you want. But a spades a spade. There have been some serious shots taken with those paramount .40 cals. And super magnum rated? Sign me in. But again it's from CVA. So it will catch a lot of flack regardless. When some other manufacturers start producing high power .40 cal inlines, I predict it will become vastly more popular and will make it's bones then.

Sounds like you're havin fun
Me and a friend went out the other night. He had a new 6.5CM to try out and I took the CVA V2 for it had a illum reticle scope. We had a dead rabbit carcass on a gut pile and coyote call. He took a few shoots out to 200 yards and was unsuccessful then we have this dumb one come in and I smoked him with Bleed Hollow point. Not a fur friendly as they say. We just added him to the gut pile. My friend was totally impressed on this performance. hahaha

Yes - we would be having the same discussion of “versatility.”

Let’s all buy a .40 and compare notes! I’m in.
WTH just money I'm in and I will shoot SWBP and piss off a bunch of people. Hahahah You are the best. I needed a laugh today. Seriously I have been watching this 40 cal debate and would like to shoot it at prairie dogs and such just another gun that I most likely don't need but I don't hear much about the results with it hunting as of yet

WTH just money I'm in and I will shoot SWBP and piss off a bunch of people. Hahahah You are the best. I needed a laugh today. Seriously I have been watching this 40 cal debate and would like to shoot it at prairie dogs and such just another gun that I most likely don't need but I don't hear much about the results with it hunting as of yet
You can’t have too many muzzys! Hell, there isn’t one made that will do everything anyway!

Back