CVA Accura MR-X .45 without issues?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heat

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Tempted to try one of these out but thought I've seen some threads about the barrels and maybe some other issues with handguards, general fit and finish of these rifles. Anyone have one that they like and shoots good? Am I asking for headaches? Live in AZ. Will hunt deer, elk mostly maybe whitetails and hogs down the road in TX. Open to options for projectiles. Not limited by law on that. Happy to hear opinions or experiences if anyone has any to share.

Last edited:
I dont have the MR-X, mine is a 2019 LR .45. I’ve heard enough bore issues with the MR-X .45s that I wont risk it til i can put my hands on one and examine the bore carefully. Like bore diameter and consistency. If you want to consider the .50, then ive heard a lot less about those barrels having issues. I really like the stocks being adjustable although im not crazy about the two camo pattern options.

I dont have the MR-X, mine is a 2019 LR .45. I’ve heard enough bore issues with the MR-X .45s that I wont risk it til i can put my hands on one and examine the bore carefully. Like bore diameter and consistency. If you want to consider the .50, then ive heard a lot less about those barrels having issues. I really like the stocks being adjustable although im not crazy about the two camo pattern options.
I appreciate the input.

I was going to buy the pursuit 45cal 1:20 twist but tried calling traditions a few times and got a recording saying that they were closed😠and somethings I’ve read about their customer service I decided not to.

I've been watching the sales at Midway. That's sort of what motivated this post. Seems like a great deal if the gun is right, but if there are bore issues and stock/barrel alignment problems, well NOT SO MUCH. I like that camo pattern too. Thought about the .50 when they still had those in stock, but we have a .50 in a Wolf and I really want to try a .45 next.

I've been watching the sales at Midway. That's sort of what motivated this post. Seems like a great deal if the gun is right, but if there are bore issues and stock/barrel alignment problems, well NOT SO MUCH. I like that camo pattern too. Thought about the .50 when they still had those in stock, but we have a .50 in a Wolf and I really want to try a .45 next.
I dont think the fore stock fit issue is as a big problem on these style guns as it is on a one piece stock. Pretty sure you can actually shoot these with no fore end on at all. The only issue i couldn't fix in my garage with some duct tape and a hammer is the bore condition. I may jump on this sale in spite of saving for a Woodman barrel.

I’m tempted but I wish they didn’t put cerakote over the nitride. The forend out of alignment would be easy enough to fix and I wouldn’t even mind if the bore was a little oversized.

the cerakote is only on the outside of the barrel and the action, it isn't inside the barrel .
it adds a extra layer of protection over the nitride and some camo to blend in .
everything isn't for everybody .

I have a MR-x .45. I posted a lot about my issues with it on this site. The big takeaways are it has a large diameter bore .455 or so. And I say or so because the second big problem is that the bore is choked. What I mean by that is that it starts off at around .455 and then about half way down it get even larger. If you plan to shoot sabots or something like a power belt (something that has plastic to conform to the bore) it really isn’t a big issue. Mine shoots great with fury .402 star tips and light blue harvester sabots. The issue comes if you try to shoot full diameter bullets. If you start a full diameter bullet down the bore, halfway down it free falls to the bottom with no resistance whatsoever. If the bore was .450-.452 without a choke…I would absolutely recommend the gun. If you’re only going to shoot bullets that use some sort of plastic I’d still recommend the gun but just know what you’re getting into. I haven’t heard as many complaints about the .50s but have no personal experience with then

I have a MR-x .45. I posted a lot about my issues with it on this site. The big takeaways are it has a large diameter bore .455 or so. And I say or so because the second big problem is that the bore is choked. What I mean by that is that it starts off at around .455 and then about half way down it get even larger. If you plan to shoot sabots or something like a power belt (something that has plastic to conform to the bore) it really isn’t a big issue. Mine shoots great with fury .402 star tips and light blue harvester sabots. The issue comes if you try to shoot full diameter bullets. If you start a full diameter bullet down the bore, halfway down it free falls to the bottom with no resistance whatsoever. If the bore was .450-.452 without a choke…I would absolutely recommend the gun. If you’re only going to shoot bullets that use some sort of plastic I’d still recommend the gun but just know what you’re getting into. I haven’t heard as many complaints about the .50s but have no personal experience with then
What is your bullet weight with the Fury?

I’m tempted but I wish they didn’t put cerakote over the nitride. The forend out of alignment would be easy enough to fix and I wouldn’t even mind if the bore was a little oversized.

The forearm can be fixed with a heat gun and some patience.

So I have been tempted with the 45 MRX being discounted at Midway in the Mossy Oak stock. I would only shoot sabot/bullet combo and almost pulled the trigger on it yesterday until JeffB posted his issue with the bore and patches on his new 50 cal. I read Mr. Tom's response and he has a point, patch thickness is all over the map, so that and some JB paste could cure the issue. As to stock/barrel fit how could/can this be fixed with a heat gun?
Thanks
John

The furniture is plastic, my fore grip came twisted which made the gaps funky. If you get the forgrip heated up you can tweak it (twist is in the other direction) and fix the gap issue.

Not something I want to see on a $600+ muzzle loader. These guns have minimal moving parts and should be cheap to manufacture, they should be a better bang for the buck than most guns. I wouldn’t recommend buying a brand new expensive gun you need to fix like this but it is possible.

So I have been tempted with the 45 MRX being discounted at Midway in the Mossy Oak stock. I would only shoot sabot/bullet combo and almost pulled the trigger on it yesterday until JeffB posted his issue with the bore and patches on his new 50 cal. I read Mr. Tom's response and he has a point, patch thickness is all over the map, so that and some JB paste could cure the issue. As to stock/barrel fit how could/can this be fixed with a heat gun?
Thanks
John
i use patches from the same moistened CVA pad container on a 2003 optima and they did fine just as they have the previous 2 dozen or so times i used them on the old optima . the 4 times i tried to swab the barrel on the mrx 50 they came off at the breech plug and i had to remove the breech plug to get them out . i used a range rod not the bunji rod supplied with the mrx . i don't think patch thickness is an issue ......

Back