CVA Accura MR-X .45 without issues?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank ypu Rob and Jeff. Think I'll pass on the MR-X unless I could hold it and see it. Ordering online seems like it will be a crap shoot. I have two regular MR's with the 25 in barrel and they are great. I'll probably grab one of Traditions 45 Strikefires and go with them for now. At least with them I am reasonably confident I will get what I expect and see how they shoot with the old 300gr platinum powerbelt, blue base. Won't be until spring before I can get out and shoot though.

Midway USA sent me a shipping label today to return the MRX. And they are going to refund my money according to the lady that helped me because I requested it in my email. So midway is doing me right so far. I'll ship it out to them tomorrow

Midway USA sent me a shipping label today to return the MRX. And they are going to refund my money according to the lady that helped me because I requested it in my email. So midway is doing me right so far. I'll ship it out to them tomorrow
So what are you going to get in its place? I’m having a hard time deciding if my next muzzle loader will be a knight or a woodman

I have been following this thread, as I won a CVA MR-X .50 cal. I am wondering if it is worth keeping or to trade it in as it is still new.
Not sure what I would get, possibly a Traditions Nitro fire, as they are legal in both N.H. and Me. where I would be hunting.
Bill

I have been following this thread, as I won a CVA MR-X .50 cal. I am wondering if it is worth keeping or to trade it in as it is still new.
Not sure what I would get, possibly a Traditions Nitro fire, as they are legal in both N.H. and Me. where I would be hunting.
Bill

I would do a good cleaning of the barrel, visually inspect it, and run a true to bore bullet down the barrel to see how consistent it is.

If all checks out its probably good to go. You will need to put a quality aftermarket rail, and scope rings (figure another 180-200 bucks) on it for it to hold zero.

I was shooting 1.5-2 inch groups with mine yesterday with 3 different saboted bullets. Lot's of youtube videos out there showing full bore cononicals also grouping well.

Is it as good as a premium gun like a Knight or Woodman? Heck no, but it is more functional than the bad press on here let's on.

What do you plan to do with it? Break it out once a year for muzzle loading season? It will work well for that. As for me I shoot mine from the bench 2-3 times a month for score so yes I will be upgrading in the future.

Midway has dropped the price on the .45 MRX even more. $430 and change. That's more than 1/3 off the regular price. Seems like the word is out that the barrel might suck. But maybe not. Could be one heck of a deal if you get a decent barrel!

I would rather risk the sub $300 Pursuit 45 1-20 than take the chance on the current MRX/LRX stockpile.

Is there anyone out there who can make a decent (not top tier) custom barrel for on of these and not have it cost more than the gun?

Going to give my 45 MR-X a try this spring. Hopefully I have a better outcome then most. This is my first MZ and it sounds like this is going to be a challenge. I will try more then just the PB. The combination are endless but not my wallet.

I essentially did what Heat and GM54-120 are saying by buying the Vortek Strikerfire in 45 cal that Knight Shooter recently had for sale. It came in and looks just fine. I look forward to shooting it this spring. I want the MR-X but maybe 2023 production will be better.

I essentially did what Heat and GM54-120 are saying by buying the Vortek Strikerfire in 45 cal that Knight Shooter recently had for sale. It came in and looks just fine. I look forward to shooting it this spring. I want the MR-X but maybe 2023 production will be better.
Let us know how it goes. I still would like to get a 45 someday.

I have just purchased this new MR-X 45 cal from Midway. Put a decent scope on it and have been slamming 8 inch ceramic tiles at 250 yards all day long. I have not put on paper at that distance but at 100 yards I am shooting 3/4 inch groups with Shooters world loose powder. BH209 is 90 dollars for 8 oz here I'm not paying that. I tried pyrodex and it did not like that as well. T7 was a about 70 fps faster but the ole crud ring came back. Shooting the hornady xtp, and Barnes bullets and it shoots well. This is new shooter for me. I also have the Optima V2 and the Wolf and they are good 50 cals but I have no regrets with the 45 cal. Just a little tough finding bullets at a decent price. Hopes this helps anyone with concerns. Stay safe

That's sounds good Laudy, still waiting to shoot mine. All I hear is how bad they shoot. Good to see someone is making it work! I will be shooting T7 unable to get BH at this time.

I have just purchased this new MR-X 45 cal from Midway. Put a decent scope on it and have been slamming 8 inch ceramic tiles at 250 yards all day long. I have not put on paper at that distance but at 100 yards I am shooting 3/4 inch groups with Shooters world loose powder. BH209 is 90 dollars for 8 oz here I'm not paying that. I tried pyrodex and it did not like that as well. T7 was a about 70 fps faster but the ole crud ring came back. Shooting the hornady xtp, and Barnes bullets and it shoots well. This is new shooter for me. I also have the Optima V2 and the Wolf and they are good 50 cals but I have no regrets with the 45 cal. Just a little tough finding bullets at a decent price. Hopes this helps anyone with concerns. Stay safe
What sabot are you using with Hornady xtp. I was looking at the Harvester but it was loose? MMP was much tighter. But I have not shot the new MZ yet.

Going to give my 45 MR-X a try this spring. Hopefully I have a better outcome then most. This is my first MZ and it sounds like this is going to be a challenge. I will try more then just the PB. The combination are endless but not my wallet.
My .45 MRX shot good with the ELR power belts. I just don’t want to shoot copper plated lead and am not a big fan of being somewhat pigeonholed into using them. I have great results with fury .402 startips and light blue harvester sabots. If you don’t mind using sabots you plenty of options that will work. Let me know how it goes when you get around to shooting it

Back