CVA Accura nitride cleaning between shots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmhuntr

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a new muzzleloader (CVA Accura MR). I am going to shoot Blackhorn powder and snot bullets. My question is for those of you who have this rifle or something simulat do you clean between each shot at the range?

Thanks

My rifles aren't nitride and I don't clean between shots ever when using BH209. I've shot probably 25-30 with no issues. I clean when done. My guess is nitride would do even better than non, but I've not owned one.

I have an Accura V2 in Nitride, and when I am shooting at the range, I swap out my breech plugs every 7 shots or so. I have two breech plugs I swap out so that each one gets equal use. I do this to maintain as much consistency as possible. When I do this, I run one, and only one, dry patch down the barrel while the plug is out, just to get the big stuff out but keep the barrel fouled, as I hunt with a fouled barrel. On a spotless barrel, there is a slight change in POI when compared to a fouled barrel, in my rifle. The one dry patch run through the barrel does not remove enough fouling to change the POI in my rifle. YMMV I do shoot bullets with sabots, Knight Bloodlines (220 grain/.458) and an orange Harvester Crush Rib for .458 bullets.

Last edited:
I have an Accura 45 LR nitride. I stopped swabbing between shots except when i go to a different bullet. A couple dry patches. It did seem to make for better groups (i don't measure). My first clean cold shot is always lower and left 1-1.5"ish, at 100yds. I haven't shot sabots or powerbelt ELRs thru it yet, just conicals cast @ 40:1

Thanks a lot
Do you shoot sabot?

Yes.

Be sure to clean out the breech plug VERY well when done. That buildup is like concrete in my experience. Get the correct drill bit for your flash channel and do it by hand. Also, like phenix78 said...if shooting alot of shots in one sitting, the BP channel buildup could affect accuracy. You may want to pull the plug every "x" number of shots and drill it out. My guess is every load and rifle are a little different on how fast the buildup is.

Latest posts

Back