CVA accura V2 frustration

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hutch56

Reaction score
I purchased a CVA Accura V2 after reading mostly great reviews. However after 5 months of different loose powder and sabot/bullet combinations I have not found any combination to shoot consistent. I have tried Pyrodex, triple 7 and Blackhorn (yes I bought the breech plug). I have tried hornady XTP's, Barnes MZ's and TMZ's, shockwaves, PR bullets in an array of weights, and scorpion PT's. I have not tried power belts because if these are the only bullets that this gun will shoot consistantly than I don't want it. I have tried every powder/bullet combo in 10gr increments from 80 to 120gr. I have used Fiocchi, Federal, Winchester 209's with the Blackhorn and triple 7 and Remington clean bore primers with the other powders. I have tried swabbing every shot to shooting without swabbing. I have waited over 10min between shots to allow barrel to completely cool. I have put 3 different scopes on this gun along with the current 800$ zeiss to rule that out. My best 100yd group thus far is a 3" group at best with PR 300gr dead centers and 105gr of triple 7. The next day the same combo shot over 8". I know this is long winded but I am looking for any possible ideas besides the gun being faulty and wanted to explain what I've tried in the 200 plus unsuccessful rounds I have fired through this thing. I'm at the end of my patience. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Oh wow yeah I would be frustrated too!! You have tried everything that I would suggest to try. I hate to say it but it maybe time for a call to CVA. Almost everything I have read about Accura's has been very positive. Maybe they just let a bad one get through. Sorry this isn't more helpful.

If the rifle is shooting like that, and you're sure its not optics or sights malfunction, then I would call CVA. Explain to them what has happened. They might suggest you mail it to them so they can test it themselves.

Its definitely not an optics or mounting issue. That was what I originally thought until I put 3 high end scopes on that I used to developer loads for other rifles. Im fairly new to muzzleloading but not to shooting and reloading in general. I just didn't want to give up and send it back without more knowledgable opinions than mine.

Sounds like a very frustrating experience.

My son's Accura V2 shoots very well with 110gr BH209 and a Harvester smooth black sabot with a Barnes 250gr TEZ, Winchester 209 primer.

When the action is closed, lockup should be solid and you can't wiggle the barrel. Have u checked that?

Do u clean all the carbon out of the breech plug with a drill bit turned by hand?

Have u tried JB bore paste? I use it on all my muzzleloaders and I believe it helps with accuracy.

Have u tried a plastic dissolving solvent in case your bore has a buildup of sabot residue? Some say it wont build up but I think it can.

With the pointy bullets, are u using the correct loading jag so not to squish the tips?

The gun is solid and I have been cleaning the breech plug every round whether I swab barrel or not. I clean with Hoppes bore cleaner or the stuff Blackhorn sells. I've been loading all bullets with the correct jag. I have not used any bore paste. All are good suggestions. Little things can add up

Hutch56,
I have bought several CVA 50 CALS and never experienced this problem. I started with the V1 then moved up to the ACCURA V2 the the Acurra MR and finally the ACCURA MR with the Nitrite barrel. I tried many different bullets, sabots and powders both loose and pellets. I tried Remington Kleanbore, and wound up with Fiocchi primers.
I wish I had an answer for you. If you checked the base and rings and tried other scopes then maybe the problem is else where. Hows the scale your using or the U-view powder measure? Are they consistent? Are you putting the same amount of pressure when you seat the bullet? How about the rifle itself. Is it free of oil and grease? I take it that the breech plug is clear and the firing pin is working freely. Is the fire channel clear and free of carbon? Did you check the sabot weight and bullet weights. Are they consistent? Did you try working the barrel with some JB Bore Paste? If you have tried all of that then maybe it's something else. Hows the rest or stiks you maybe shooting from? Are they stable? Well there's only one thing left. A physical problem. Trigger squeeze, breathing, holding the rifle the same way in the same position in your shoulder. Moving your position immediately after the rifle is fired.
Here's a few pics from the 100 with my last 2 Accura's including the new on with the nitrite barrel. My load is 110 grains or BH 209, either Barnes SPIT FIRE TE-Z's 290 grain or Hornady Mono Flex 250 grain and Fiocchi Primers.
IMG_0701_zps6fe1e921.jpg
IMG_0696_zps6891a3b5.jpg
003_zpse0b61616.jpg

They were all shot from the 100 yard benches. I use the Caldwell Tack Driver green rest and small green rest for the stock.
Hope you find the answer to your problem. If I can help in any way send me a PM and I'll try to help.
One last thing, you don't have to swab after each round. My rifles like the barrels dirty. I clean the breech plug after 6 to 8 shots. I've shot as many as 45/50 bullets before I swabbed..........Good luck
Ray................ :yeah:

Do u index your sabots?

Do u knurl your bullets?

How does the end of your muzzle look? Any dings? Does the counterbore without rifling look centered?

Forearm wobbly?

Are u using the supplied one piece base/rings? If yes, did u take it off and loctite the base screws to the action?

Have u tried Harvester sabots? Not the crush rib.

I appreciate all the help. I have tried the harvester and the mmp sabots. I have not weighed the individual components and I have not tried bore paste. Are these things that just make accurate guns better or are these necessary steps needed to take a gun that will barely group on a pie plate and get it down to 1"???

:)

I had to use JB BORE Paste because some bullets that I know from experience should have gone down the barrel without any problems were giving me a little trouble. Tightness was the problem. I cleaned my Accura MR THOROUGHLY. I tried to run a few different bullets down the barrel and it wouldn't cooperate. I used the JB according to the directions on the jar and after 50/60 stocks, these bullets and sabots were a little easier. I cleaned the rifle and shot it and checked again. They, the tight bullets where getting easier. That JB doesn't make the gun more accurate. It smooths out the rough edges and burrs that are left in the new barrels. Now once that's done and the more you shoot it, it will help out. GOOD LUCK :!:

Ray............ :yeah:

Dumb question! Are you recoil sensitive? Have seen many shooter jerk the trigger than blamming the rifle. Just to rulle that out. No offense.

When sighting in the rifle are you using any type of a rest like shooting bags or a sled...I have 3 Accuras and they shot lights out from the box using a rest after finding the load...I used a sled to get the scope adjusted then swapped over to a shooting bag..I use BH209 and dont swab between shots...after 10 shots I just clean plug ..

also make sure your cheek weld is consistant every time..as said before make sure the scope mount is secured...use blue lock tite on the screws..and torque them even..if you are doing what I asked above as far as rest ..i am lost as I never had this problem with 3 Accuras

Al

I purchased a CVA Accura V2 after reading mostly great reviews. However after 5 months of different loose powder and sabot/bullet combinations I have not found any combination to shoot consistent. I have tried Pyrodex, triple 7 and Blackhorn (yes I bought the breech plug). I have tried hornady XTP's, Barnes MZ's and TMZ's, shockwaves, PR bullets in an array of weights, and scorpion PT's. I have not tried power belts because if these are the only bullets that this gun will shoot consistantly than I don't want it. I have tried every powder/bullet combo in 10gr increments from 80 to 120gr. I have used Fiocchi, Federal, Winchester 209's with the Blackhorn and triple 7 and Remington clean bore primers with the other powders. I have tried swabbing every shot to shooting without swabbing. I have waited over 10min between shots to allow barrel to completely cool. I have put 3 different scopes on this gun along with the current 800$ zeiss to rule that out. My best 100yd group thus far is a 3" group at best with PR 300gr dead centers and 105gr of triple 7. The next day the same combo shot over 8". I know this is long winded but I am looking for any possible ideas besides the gun being faulty and wanted to explain what I've tried in the 200 plus unsuccessful rounds I have fired through this thing. I'm at the end of my patience. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Just wondering for learning purposes if you ever resolved these issues

I does not appear that Hutch has been on since 2015 and this was the only topic he posted in.

Sounds like a very frustrating experience.

My son's Accura V2 shoots very well with 110gr BH209 and a Harvester smooth black sabot with a Barnes 250gr TEZ, Winchester 209 primer.

When the action is closed, lockup should be solid and you can't wiggle the barrel. Have u checked that?

Do u clean all the carbon out of the breech plug with a drill bit turned by hand?

Have u tried JB bore paste? I use it on all my muzzleloaders and I believe it helps with accuracy.

Have u tried a plastic dissolving solvent in case your bore has a buildup of sabot residue? Some say it wont build up but I think it can.

With the pointy bullets, are u using the correct loading jag so not to squish the tips?
I stumbled onto to this old post looking for info on my Accuracy PR. I know you responded to one of my earlier posts but I don't know if you saw the post regarding my concern that the TEZ seemed too loose when I seated it. One guy earlier recommended I try the TMZ. But the smooth black Harvester sabot is exactly what Jon at Harvester recommended I try. He mailed me some samples yesterday along with samples of the PT Scorpion. Does your son still have the Accuracy, and did he find any loads better than the TEZ?

My son’s Accura still uses the same load, no reason to switch to anything else, accuracy is good and the all copper TEZ works good for our needs in a hunting bullet.

My son’s Accura still uses the same load, no reason to switch to anything else, accuracy is good and the all copper TEZ works good for our needs in a hunting bullet.
Thanks. I’m interested to see how the smooth black sabots this week.

Maybe you're just a bad shot?

Back