CVA Accura V2 Long Range .45 Review

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought this rifle after long thought and lots of research. I love the ambidextrious thumbhole stock. I wanted the long 30" barrel to squeeze out a little extra velocity for those 200 meter shots at elk. All that does is make it heavy. I wanted the faster twist to stabilize heavier bullets. I thought I'd like the 209 primers since my go-to gun runs #11 caps. On a cold day last winter, I had my only muzzleloader misfire in 40 years. The directions, and the gunsmith, say the firing pin has to be removed and cleaned after every session. What a pain! They advertise guaranteed to be "the most accurate muzzleloader you've ever shot" Long and short of it, it isn't. I've shot 4 different powders and 10 difflerent bullets through it, and can't get consistent groups. The barrel gets tighter as the bullet goes down the barrel. I sent it back to the BPI, asking for a refund. After two months with no word, they sent it back to me with a note, and a 3 shot target measuring 2.205" at 100 yards. They said my breechplug was defective, because it was bent on the edge as if it has been dropped. It wasn't dropped. They were kind enough to send me a new breechplug at no charge. The Blackhorn breechplug has the same dent. It wasn't dropped either. I don't know about you, but I don't consider a 2-1/2 inch group to be accurate. On a good day, I can shoot better than that with a pistol. I should have taken the advice of some on this forum who told me to buy a custom barrel for my Encore. I guessthe CVA warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on. Anyone in the market for a .45 Accura V2 LR?

Attachments

• IMG_6115.JPG
    IMG_6115.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 15
Hope things work out for you.

Maybe he will list it in the classified section?

All ACCURA® series rifles are guaranteed to be the most accurate muzzleloader you’ve shot, or your money back! If you are not completely satisfied with the accuracy of your ACCURA® muzzleloader, you can return it within 2 weeks for a refund of your purchase.

Personally I would keep calling CVA & stay in them about this....but politely. Just the different person you talk to when you call can make the difference
I had a CVA Apex 50 cal that delivered 3/4” groups at 200 yards
Since they use the same barrels you should expect the same....within reason.
I would recommend that you purchase a good bore cleaner & clean thoroughly....50 to 100 strokes and then re-clean and retest to see how Bullets load & if accuracy improves

Greg

Land 30 I'm assuming you have a scope on the gun. can I ask, What scope you have? scope base? and scope rings and how is the base attached to the barrel. If your using open sights I would say the gun is shooting very well in my opinion . Before you give up you might try A bullet sabot combination from Precision Rifle's Their Dead Center line of bullets Or he may have something else for you. Talk to Cecil Epp or E-mail him. Make sure you can stablelize the bullet Wht. of your choice.

Cecil says NEVER buy a 45cal with a twist faster than 1-24. He will probably blame the OPs issue on the twist being too fast like he has claimed for years. A 1-22 will stabilize anything ive seen PR offer yet. Ive shot the 40cal 250gr QTs in my Pacnor 45 1-22 but used Harvester sabots instead of the rebranded MMP he includes.

I ran into the same thing with my old Accura 45 1-28. Bore was nice and smooth but not very uniform. Still shot good though. It really liked the 45cal 300gr PB Plats with upto 90grV of BH209
The barrel gets tighter as the bullet goes down the barrel

A buddy of mine has an older model CVA Optima. He shoots 100 grains BH 209 under a Powerbelt 245 grain poly tipped bullet. His target shooting range is only at 50 yards but he'll pretty much put bullets through the same hole all day long.

Yeah when pretty much every top shooter in the inline matches is using a 45cal 1-20 or even a 1-18 it kinda shows his level of expertise on the topic. My Pacnor 45 1-22 will shoot sabots excellent and at warp speed. Quite a bit faster than the 1650-1800fps he claims is the limit for sabots.
https://www.prbullet.com/s45.htm
Personally, I would not buy any .45 caliber muzzleloader that did not have a barrel twist of 1:28" to 1:30". Period

https://www.prbullet.com/twist.htm
Knight, almost single handed, destroyed the .45 muzzleloader market by introducing the Super .45 disc rifle with a 1:20" twist barrel. They had manufactured and sold thousands of them without doing much testing. Their customers quickly discovered these 1:20" twist barrels would not shoot well as the velocity of 1700 fps and greater was attained. The twist was way, way too fast

Faster twists generally for a given caliber work best with a heavier longer bullet, the common term is called sectional density. To get sectional density up let's say in a 40 or 45cal. muzzle loading gun the bullet is going to be longer; The twist needs to be faster. For killing lager animals such as Elk or target accuracy the longer bullets normally work the best they also have a higher Ballistic Coefficient. They pass thru the air with greater efficiency/less drag.
Smaller the caliber, the longer the bullet the faster the twist rate generally required to stabilize the bullet .
Bullet design and shape, bearing surface, bullet material and velocity are other factors that can also have an affect on accuracy. And then a sabot can also be part of the equation. Main job not slip and seal the bore to bullet
Keep in mind a round ball gun is the exact the opposite, and work well with very slow twists or no twist at all.
Normally the more or higher the working pressure, Higher velocity will following in all firearms
A 45cal. gun with a sabot will use a bullet of .358 up to .402 in diameter depending on bore diameter and sabot used
The Dead Center Precision bullets are swaged lead boatails very consistent in wht. 260Gr.
Another sabot bullet that might work is the Hornady SST 200Gr. Maybe not the best for Elk a little light but would work well lung shooting whitetails
I know of a smokeless gun shooting this bullet sabot combo @ 2,600 FPS Sub MOA 1-18 twist, 45cal McGowen barrel.

My guess here is the 45 1-22 LR barrel is too loose for the Harvesters and the MMP sabot while about the right size just dont handle hotter loads in a fast twist all that well. So the thing to try is a larger OD 40cal in the Harvester light blue or light blue crushrib. Either of those sabots will handle any load of BH209 with most bullets. Im pretty sure you can buy some "premium" 40s in .401-.402 from Fury and from Pittman. Hawks might also offer some slightly on the larger side if you call him. I never was too impressed with Hawks quality control on some of his bullets like spire points.

The barrel having a mid point choke is going to be a bear to overcome.

Last edited:
I find the Hawk bullets to vary in Wht. more than I like . But he does have some sizes you can't get any were which can be helpful. Good bullets for plinking and hunting and not meant for target shooting. (Expensive)
Berger has a good online program one can input to determine bullet stability. I use it for center fire guns and find I can get very close with some muzzle loading bullets; Even they make no bullets for ML guns

Mid point choke can be lapped out.
Mid point choke if not to great, is no problem using a progressive powder in a smokeless gun. with a soft bullet.

Back