CVA Accura v2 LR help find accurate load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Cat

Reaction score
So a little help please, I've tried 777 pellets and 350grain power belts. I'm all over the place . Tried some loose pyrodex 90grains and improved a little. Do these like a lighter load? How does that help with long range velocity? Seems it would need a stout charge for long range work?

I shoot 300 gr Deep curls in a Harvester crush rib sabot pushed by 77 weighed grains of Blackhorn 209 in a 50 cal CVA Accura V2 with the Nitride barrel and Blackhorn breech plug and a Winchester primer. Peep sights and Lee Shaver front. This works for me.

Looks like I've got some homework to do. I'll have to admit never using black horn 209 I'm assuming the black horn breach plug allows better ignition. Not familiar with deep curls either who makes these and where can they be obtained? Also curious what distance you you find this combination accurate to. Thanks

Speer makes them and Grafs or Midway carries them as well as most sporting goods stores. And yes the Blackhorn plug delivers better ignition.

You will never turn 50cal Powerbelts and any powder charge into a long range load. The BC is simply much too poor and they are not well suited to magnum type charges. Pellets are also a very poor choice because there is no way to fine tune the load like you can with loose powder. Plus they can be chipped or crushed pretty easily.

If you want something cheap to try...Get some Harvester 300gr Scorpion PT Golds and sabots. Either MMP HPH-24 or the Harverster Smooth Black Short sabots. The Harvester sabots are called EZ-Load for 300gr or under. Try them first before spending extra on the Crushribs. Thats a reasonably priced combination with a reasonable although not great BC.

$26/50
https://www.harvestermuzzleloading....em/60-45-cal-300-grain-451-polymer-tip-bullet

$8.50/50
Not the best price you can find for the sabots but since they have the bullets too
https://www.harvestermuzzleloading....abot-for-451-452-cal-300-grain-or-less-bullet

Ask them for some Crushrib samples when you order and some new White Lightning bullets with sabots. Those are even higher BC but its a 44cal bullet. https://www.harvestermuzzleloading.com/index.php/products/white-lightning

Thanks very much, I got rifle to explore some long range shooting . Some of the videos I've watched seem to have demonstrated this rifle is capable of some fine accuracy. Proving it has eluded me so far. Thanks for your recommendation I'll try it soon.

Looking at these the bullet shape is definitely superior to the power belt.
Recently bought 250 areolite power belts 15 for 30+$ these are a bargain by comparison

Power belts are no bargain and are more of a convenience as they can be found everywhere, if shooting 100 gr or less powder then they are just barely ok in lighter bullets, the 348 gr and larger are decent bullets just too expensive for what they are.. definitely not long range bullets either way.

Power belts are no bargain and are more of a convenience as they can be found everywhere, if shooting 100 gr or less powder then they are just barely ok in lighter bullets, the 348 gr and larger are decent bullets just too expensive for what they are.. definitely not long range bullets either way.
At $2 a shot may as well use a .308. but anybody can do that ,you actually have to know how to properly load and shoot a muzzleloader . There are some very knowledgeable shooters in this and the traditional forum.

So this is my Accura v2 LR nitride with the konuspro4x3-10 and a green light on top . Idea is night time hog eradication at long distance.

Attachments

• IMG_20190627_142722535.jpg
    IMG_20190627_142722535.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 26
Nice rifle!

Many get good accuracy with Barnes 250/290 grain TEZ bullets with Harvester smooth black sabots and 110 grains of BlackHorn 209 powder. That's my son's deer hunting load, he usually uses the 250gr bullet.

Just curious, did you swab between shots with the Pyrodex/T7 pellets?

Nice rifle!

Many get good accuracy with Barnes 250/290 grain TEZ bullets with Harvester smooth black sabots and 110 grains of BlackHorn 209 powder. That's my son's deer hunting load, he usually uses the 250gr bullet.

Just curious, did you swab between shots with the Pyrodex/T7 pellets?
Well I sorta swabed every few shots with a brush. Was on a friend's ranch with only my small shooting box. Next trip I will be more prepared. You recommend swabbing I'm thinking.

With Pyrodex or T7, yes after every shot. A wet and dry patch, usually helps with accuracy. Generally no swabbing with BlackHorn 209 powder. Some do when shooting heavy doses, but usually not required and no crud ring will build up.

Definitely getting some black horn. Wondering now if I need to replace the breach plug on this rifle to accommodate better ignition for the black horn. If so anybody know where to get one?

Yes, get the breech plug for BH209/loose powder. Many places sell it, your best bet may be from BlackHorn's website, but also Amazon, Ebay, CVA, Walmart, etc.

From BlackHorn's website

The kit includes:

• Blackhorn QR Breech Plug
  • Breech Plug Wrench - required for initial tightening and fitting
  • Pin Vise and Drill Bit - the drill bit is necessary for proper cleaning
  • O-rings - to be used when a better primer seal is needed

Yeah, Try 100gr BH209 behind a 250 gr Hornady SST. Use the Black Horn breech plug and CCI 209M primers.

Yes, get the breech plug for BH209/loose powder. Many places sell it, your best bet may be from BlackHorn's website, but also Amazon, Ebay, CVA, Walmart, etc.

From BlackHorn's website

The kit includes:

• Blackhorn QR Breech Plug
  • Breech Plug Wrench - required for initial tightening and fitting
  • Pin Vise and Drill Bit - the drill bit is necessary for proper cleaning
  • O-rings - to be used when a better primer seal is needed
Thanks I'm on it , I will order a kit today and some black horn. Can't wait to try this combination. This rifle is a little barrel heavy and there is no way to attach a bipod easily without drilling a hole in the stock. I do think it would benefit from a bipod for long range work.

What about the new Lehigh plug? I assume it uses a vent liner but wasn't sure. It should also be a good option.

I know practically nothing about the Lehigh plug. What advantage would it have over a black horn plug? Where would one aquire one? And I guess what's the difference in price between the 2.

If not PM me your address and I'll send you a half a doz of each. I personally had better luck with the crush ribs. The smooth blacks stuck to the bullet and came off on the target. But every gun is different. thumbnail_Picture0628190730_1.jpg

Back