CVA Accura v2 LR help find accurate load

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks very generous of you. I'll try to pm you this evening ,headed to town in a couple minutes.

The Lehigh plug for a CVA is new so I am not sure if it uses a vent liner like other Lehigh plugs , but I assume it does. Not sure difference in initial price either but if you plan on shooting a lot a vent liner will save money over time .

We dont even know if its a Lehigh made plug. It could be or they might just be reselling the CVA or Western Powders plug. It has no mention of a vent liner.

If you plan on keeping the rifle for a long time and shooting a few thousand rounds through it, go for the Arrowhead rifles breech plug.

As for a charge/bullet with BH...…… 290gr Barnes T-EZ and 110grs volume. Many hunters use that combination because it just flat out works.

We dont even know if its a Lehigh made plug. It could be or they might just be reselling the CVA or Western Powders plug. It has no mention of a vent liner.
Agree on the unknown. As far as no mention of having a ventliner, neither does the description- what little there is- of the knight disc elite having it, but it does.

If you plan on keeping the rifle for a long time and shooting a few thousand rounds through it, go for the Arrowhead rifles breech plug.

As for a charge/bullet with BH...…… 290gr Barnes T-EZ and 110grs volume. Many hunters use that combination because it just flat out works.
I was planning on keeping this rifle for a long time provided it will give the long range accuracy it's advertised for.
Got to admit the first range session was dismal using power belts and pellets. As it happens I actually have 2 of these, one I planned to keep the other probably sell or trade ,it's still in the box. I've been collecting for a number of years and find myself with 4 various nib rifles and several used .
I found the black horn breach plug at muzzle-loaders have not located a Lehigh yet. Must humbly admit I don't fully understand the value of a vent liner. I'm old school side hammer I guess.

I was planning on keeping this rifle for a long time provided it will give the long range accuracy it's advertised for.
Got to admit the first range session was dismal using power belts and pellets. As it happens I actually have 2 of these, one I planned to keep the other probably sell or trade ,it's still in the box. I've been collecting for a number of years and find myself with 4 various nib rifles and several used .
I found the black horn breach plug at muzzle-loaders have not located a Lehigh yet. Must humbly admit I don't fully understand the value of a vent liner. I'm old school side hammer I guess.

This may seem like its expensive, but if you plan on keeping the rifle and shooting A LOT, then this plug is the way I'd go. No leaking, no vent liners to replace, no "O" rings, just a perfect seal.
https://www.arrowheadrifles.com/product/cva_qrbp/

Guys will tell you that its to expensive, but they're replacing vent liners and "O" rings if they shoot a lot.
Just my take...…...

Must humbly admit I don't fully understand the value of a vent liner.

A vent liner can be used to replace a worn out flash hole, which happens from shooting the rifle. A vent liner is just a screw with a hole drilled through the center. A worn plug can be repaired by drilling and tapping it to utilize the vent liner to replace the flash hole.

Just my opinion, my opinion, how can you make decisions on what you really want for a rifle, if you haven't actually shot one much. To me it seems one would be better off being frustrated, and gaining experience. Spend less time at the keyboard, and more time at the range.

This may seem like its expensive, but if you plan on keeping the rifle and shooting A LOT, then this plug is the way I'd go. No leaking, no vent liners to replace, no "O" rings, just a perfect seal.
https://www.arrowheadrifles.com/product/cva_qrbp/

Guys will tell you that its to expensive, but they're replacing vent liners and "O" rings if they shoot a lot.
Just my take...…...
Little pricey but very good concept

A vent liner can be used to replace a worn out flash hole, which happens from shooting the rifle. A vent liner is just a screw with a hole drilled through the center. A worn plug can be repaired by drilling and tapping it to utilize the vent liner to replace the flash hole.

Just my opinion, my opinion, how can you make decisions on what you really want for a rifle, if you haven't actually shot one much. To me it seems one would be better off being frustrated, and gaining experience. Spend less time at the keyboard, and more time at the range.
Useing the collective knowledge of this forum can alleviate a lot of frustration and expense but yeah I get what your saying . And I'm looking forward to my next opportunity to to do just that. A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work lol.

BH209 plug from Western Powders. CVA offers one but did not copy it exactly. 110gr by volume of BH209, Hornady Monoflex 250 or Barnes TEZ 250, Harvester smooth sabots. Tack driver.

If you’re serious about long range shooting you may want to step up your optics and your mount as well

Greg

Ha ha this is getting expensive fast!
This konuspro came with the rifle , never used one before. Reasonably clear but no Zeiss to be sure. Came with a 1 piece mount also which I secured with a tiny bit of loctite as is my habit when mounting scopes.

This is really good advice. There's no substitute for getting out there and doing it yourself. That being said, the guys here can definitely help shorten the learning curve. But I see it far too often guys worry about getting everything perfect before they head out instead of just getting out and learning. Another pet peeve of mine (and I'm guilty of it too) is spending way too much time punching paper from the bench searching for the perfect load instead of just finding a decent load and then practicing from practical hunting positions.

I've had decent luck with the Remington 250 grain bullets (green sabot) and 100 grains BH209. Haven't tried too much with powder adjustment I just got the gun last year.

I'm please with Hornady 250 gr SST low drag sabot flex tip bullets and 2 powder pellets out of my CVA Optima V2 LR.

Latest posts

Back