CVA Accura V2 LR Nitride Muzzleloader - powder/scope/ammo?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. After being out of the woods for the last five years I decided to get back into hunting. In efforts to maximize my spending potential I decided to get a decent muzzleloader (normally I go the CVA Wolf $150 dollar route) that has the potential to reach out 200-250 yards so that I could use the same gun for muzzleloader as well as general firearms and not feel overly limited in terms of range (the majority of my shots in VA/FL/GA are 300 yards and under)

Anyway, this is what I put together:

-CVA Accura V2 LR Nitride Muzzleloader : https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... 50+30+MAX1 (I ended up getting is for $472 on price match)

-Nikon Buck Masters 3x9x40: https://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-buck ... scope.html

-Black Horn 209 Powder: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Blackhor ... s?slotId=1

-Harvester Scorpion PT Gold Bullets (300 Grain) with Crush Rib Sabots: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Harveste ... 995700.uts

My question is this; do you think that 110-120 grains of BH with the CVA Accura LR (30 inch barrel) and a 300 grain Harvester Scorpion is a good load to maximize my rifle's potential? I read the heavier the bullet, the more energy is retained at longer distances and less bullet deviation due to wind and the elements. Is this pretty much the accepted standard philosophy with modern muzzleloaders? :think: Any other long range noteworthy loads out of a 30 inch barrel anyone can recommend?

This rifle will primarily be used on whitetails in FL/GA/VA...and maybe one day up north on elk or moose... :D

Thanks in advance!

-Travis

You'll need to add a 209 plug to your shopping list. Check with Western Powders or the internet and you'll be good to go.

I think the most widely used load for a 50 cal rifle using a 300 grain bullet is 110 grains of powder. If you are using the 209 powder you may want to weigh your charges but it certainly isn't required but you do need to know that while the Accura will handle 150 grain loads of black and Pyrodex and standard T7 powders, the 209 will top out at 120 grains as the max. With the 209 powder and 120 grains under a 300 grain bullet is going to enlighten you on the effects of recoil....most people back off to the 110 grains or even to 100 grains and shoot very effectively on large animals to the elk size at reasonable distances.

I'm not certain but I think CVA has a maximum size [weight] recommended for the Accura, but I think that some of the 325 grain bullets in .458 size may offer a little more sustained energy if you're peeking out past 200 yards on an elk. Just something to no for sure then do some trial loads with a chrono to help you figure things out as far as retained energy.

I have an Accura and love it. I do 77 grains weighed [ approx.110 by volume] under a green crush rib sabot and 300 grain XTP bullet of .44 caliber. Very, very accurate.

I like to play with the 250 yard 6 inch gong, it is my experience that the best combination of good group and flat shooting is the 40 caliber 200 grain Shock Wave in a 50/40 sabot my gun likes 115 grains of Blackhorn.

Looks like you have it all figured out already, provided you purchased the Blackhorn Breech Plug from either CVA or Western Powders?

The 300 grain PTG will have a better BC, more energy, with less drop than the 260 grain or 240 grain PTG at longer ranges. Those are not a bad bullet, but there are other choices as good or better, for the same or less money, IMO.

Very nice setup you have there!

MrTom said:
You'll need to add a 209 plug to your shopping list. Check with Western Powders or the internet and you'll be good to go.

I think the most widely used load for a 50 cal rifle using a 300 grain bullet is 110 grains of powder. If you are using the 209 powder you may want to weigh your charges but it certainly isn't required but you do need to know that while the Accura will handle 150 grain loads of black and Pyrodex and standard T7 powders, the 209 will top out at 120 grains as the max. With the 209 powder and 120 grains under a 300 grain bullet is going to enlighten you on the effects of recoil....most people back off to the 110 grains or even to 100 grains and shoot very effectively on large animals to the elk size at reasonable distances.

I'm not certain but I think CVA has a maximum size [weight] recommended for the Accura, but I think that some of the 325 grain bullets in .458 size may offer a little more sustained energy if you're peeking out past 200 yards on an elk. Just something to no for sure then do some trial loads with a chrono to help you figure things out as far as retained energy.

I have an Accura and love it. I do 77 grains weighed [ approx.110 by volume] under a green crush rib sabot and 300 grain XTP bullet of .44 caliber. Very, very accurate.

I did get a nitride 209 plug for the BH 209 powder : https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/cva-nitr ... -plug.html
I appreciate those that chimed in and let me know about the different breach plug for BH 209. Would have been a huge disappointment had I not have done some research prior to my 1st shooting. I'll admit, I've owned 2 or 3 muzzleloaders and always used the pellets (mostly pyrodex), I'm new to the measuring thing. I bought theses: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Blackhor ... s?slotId=0 figuring I could just pour and measure into the tubes. Looks like that may not be the case and I might need an actual brass measure to get the correct amount, then use the tubes to carry pre-calculated shots into the field. Sound about right?

-Travis

You may want to try the Barnes 250 or 290 gr T-EZ bullets in your new CVA. Accurate and great hunting bullets.

T/C U-View Volumetric Powder Measure is clear. Just wipe the inside with a dryer sheet once, and no more static cling of powder granules. Also use it to wipe the inside of the Blackhorn 209 tubes, but don't use those tubes to measure powder. The tubes have never been accurate enough to use as a measure, the lines are for reference at best.

Just so you know, that breech plug is not Nitride treated like the barrels, but is black oxide coated, which also provides a bit of protection. It also does not come with the install tool that you need to seat the breech plug the first time to the rifle. See in bold below.

"The CVA® Blackhorn™ QR Breech Plug for Nitride muzzleloaders is specifically designed for use with Blackhorn™ or other loose powder muzzleloading propellants. Nothing affects the performance of your muzzleloader more than a clean breech plug for consistent ignition and better overall accuracy. While the Nitride process is not done on these breech plugs, they do feature a 'black oxide' coating, which protects from rust and corrosion, while still giving the same appearance as the Nitride barrels.

This black oxide coated, stainless steel replacement breech plug, is designed to work with all CVA Accura V2, Optima and Wolf models, 2010 or newer. This plug is optimal for whatever type of propellant you choose to use, either loose or pelletized. The CVA 209 breech plug allows the flash-hole to remain debris-free after repeated shots with fine, loose powder propellants. You no longer need to continually clean out the flash hole after each shot.

**Breech plug wrench not included, you may purchase it here: Install Tool"

Seating tool.
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/accessor ... rench.html

Back