CVA Apex 45-70 Smokeless Muzzleloader Conversion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
cOk23Xy.jpg

Converted by Jeff Fisk, Bestill Creations, excellent work done

CVA Apex 45-70 conversion with a 1:20 twist, 6 groove, Bergara barrel, weighs 8 lbs 12 oz as pictured
ASG Gen2 LRMP module breech plug
Federal Large Rifle Magnum primers
250gr Barnes TEZ, bullets went from packaging to bore with no sizing, a med-heavy knurl was used, loading pressure was light-medium
.060 veggie wad
duplex with 6grs N110 and 50gr IMR4198

I finally had a chance to shoot my SML conversion. I was impressed with the first outing and first load I tried. After sighting/fouling the bore with 3 shots, I loaded up and fired a 3 shot group measuring .460" at 100yds. The first two were in the same hole with the 3rd shot shifting to the left. Hopefully, I can get some chronograph readings in a few weeks to work up a drop chart with my Nikon XR BDC scope. I've been wanting this conversion done for quite a while now and I couldn't be more happy with how it turned out.
l8igi3P.jpg

Discontinuing the Apex was IMO CVA's worst recent mistake. Super nice rifle for the money. No aftermarket support but a nice all around rifle. The breach OD was over 1" IIRC. Thats larger than any break action im aware of and IIRC it was even larger than a small shank Savage MLII. The Scout V2 is right at an inch i think.

I would have bought one for sure if they had made one in 405Win.

Apex is a super fine conversion.
1.100 shank and adjustable trigger

GM54-120 said:
Discontinuing the Apex was IMO CVA's worst recent mistake. Super nice rifle for the money. No aftermarket support but a nice all around rifle. The breach OD was over 1" IIRC. Thats larger than any break action im aware of and IIRC it was even larger than a small shank Savage MLII. The Scout V2 is right at an inch i think.

I would have bought one for sure if they had made one in 405Win.

I Agree 100%! I held one at Cabelas but it was in the rifle version and I liked the way it looked and felt.

Latest posts

Back