CVA Apex 45 SML Likes a Duplex

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Nice cool morning to shoot the camo Apex with more duplex loads. I wasn't too impressed with the straight charges of 60 grains IMR4198 I shot last year out of this rifle. My black stocked Apex loves straight charges of IMR4198 but the camo Apex, not so much.

All shots were with 6gr N110 and 52gr IMR4198, .060 veggie wad, Fed GM LRMP, 100 yard 3 shot groups

First up was the new to me Barnes 275gr TSX, very similar to the XPB except the TSX only has two crimp grooves vs. 3 on the XPB
Sized loose then knurled up, 1st shot on cold clean bore is the high one
HFEXwqa.jpg

250gr Barnes TEZ, from the package then knurled, 1st shot is the high one
rBRzuMA.jpg

Bear Creek Ballistics 285gr Ball Point, the Apex really liked these today, they were sized and knurled in the fall of 2018 for hunting, too bad they are discontinued. I'll be getting samples of the updated version in a few weeks. Hopefully they shoot as good as these did.
Kt4VXyD.jpg

BuckDoeHunter you know I like the 275XPB and I have tried straight charges of 4198 and not satisfactory results so I slowed it down a little with faster powder such as 53gr 4227 @2475fps and 40gr VV N110 @ 2275fps both in my Apex with DI. They consistently shoot under 1". I don't have shot opportunities where I hunt more than 150-200yds. Them solids like a good spanking.

I am always curious what the pressure would be on the SMLs loads in these .45. Those loads would be well over maximum in the 45-70 case that could go in that firearm or similar/related ones. I am not sure if I could even get 60 grains in my cartridge, certainly would be a compressed loads with the bullet added.
One thought the .452 bullets not slamming into the lands like a .458 bullet would do kept the pressures down.
Fine shooting by the way.

I have talked about this with a couple gunsmiths present in regard to barrel thickness and different cartridge pressures like a 300 win mag the barrel profile is the same at the chamber area as a 45-70 and 300 win mag pressures are way above 45-70. I am not suggesting anyone shoot what I do but I have shot heavier bullets with the same 4227 charge,with no ill effects. I know what will happen in the case of a double charge. I use witness marks and ramrod stops on my sml's.

Maybe they do not list heavier loads as one just cannot stuff enough powder in the case or they are concerned such a loading might get in a Trapdoor with bad results.

40gr of N110 behind a sabotless 45cal 275gr is HOT!!!! VERY HOT!!!!
W2eVyEi.png

The 6/52 duplex looks great.

Last edited:
Say you got a 30cal barrel that is 1.1" OD. That barrel has way more meat than a 45cal barrel the same OD. You cant safely make that comparison. Thats one reason why Ruger #1 45/70 load data is rated higher. The barrel is a larger OD than most other options in 45/70.

300win mag case is .513 at the front side of the belt and .489 at the beginning of the shoulder, the 45-70 is .505 in front of the rim and .480 at the mouth of the case. I do not have a 30cal barrel for my Apex but the dimesions at the breech OD would be the same just like Encores have a 1" barrel. I am not telling anyone to shoot what I do was just stating what has shot well for me. I am not looking to go hotter it is where my rifle shined. If you prefer I will edit loads I shoot or you can as I don't want anyone to assume their rifle will handle these loads.

300win mag case is .513 at the front side of the belt and .489 at the beginning of the shoulder, the 45-70 is .505 in front of the rim and .480 at the mouth of the case. I do not have a 30cal barrel for my Apex but the dimesions at the breech OD would be the same just like Encores have a 1" barrel. I am not telling anyone to shoot what I do was just stating what has shot well for me. I am not looking to go hotter it is where my rifle shined. If you prefer I will edit loads I shoot or you can as I don't want anyone to assume their rifle will handle these loads.
I would think especially when it comes to smokeless OR cf , Monkey See -- Monkey Do REALLY isnt a very bright thing to do .....just sayin.......
That Should Be Obvious.......

With duplex loads, can the two powders be mixed to some degree, or does the lesser volume charge need to be loaded first? I'm curious about duplex, and if you develop a very accurate load how do you carry extra charges in the field?

The faster burning powder goes in first. I duplex to give my all copper bullets a little extra kick so they engrave the rifling better/faster. I also duplex when hunting in very cold weather with my 209 primer smokeless muzzleloader guns, the duplex load will make sure the gun goes off. I tape two powder vials together, lids opposite each other, to carry my powder in the field.

Be careful with duplex loads and do your research, many powders are not meant to be used for a duplex/booster load. I like Vihtavuori N110 but it is not interchangeable with Hodgdon H110.

With duplex loads, can the two powders be mixed to some degree, or does the lesser volume charge need to be loaded first? I'm curious about duplex, and if you develop a very accurate load how do you carry extra charges in the field?
The smaller charge is loaded first . Its generally a quicker , easier to ignite powder . Then the main charge is placed on top of that .
This is thinking mans shooting . Its not that hard to do in field conditions carried seperately . Its also something not to be rushed through or into hastily !!! Buckdoehunter does a nice job with it .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back