CVA BH209 Breech Plug Blowback

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UTGrad

Reaction score
With my first generation Accura with the bolt breech plug, to stop blow back I backed out the firing pin assembly screw enough to where the action would snap shut and there was very little space between the primer and the breech face.

I just got an Accura MR with the BH209 QRBP and my primers are pretty black when fired. What solutions are available with the BH209 QRBP to stop blowback? Honestly the gun shot fine today even though there was some blowback so I’m wondering if I’m making a big deal out of a non issue.

Without buying a new breech plug, you can try different primers. The Winchester primers in the blue box used for shot shell reloading are quite long and often are long enough to stop this. The small rubber o-rings some people use can be inserted in the primer pocket to help alleviate this issue too....cheap, effective. One o-ring will go maybe 20-30 shots depending on load and they come 100 to a package for little of nothing and take 5 seconds to install. The firing pin shims can be used too if you can find any in stock at CVA.

I shared this with another member. triggershims.com he makes shims himself and if you have dimensions would most likely be able to make you what you want. I have done a bunch of trigger jobs on Ruger DA pistols with his shim and spring kits. Just a fyi for those who might have need.

Just ordered the o ring from Amazon. I’d like some feedback from folks that use that specific o ring. I have a few boxes of Federal primers and don’t want to switch just yet.

Just ordered the o ring from Amazon. I’d like some feedback from folks that use that specific o ring. I have a few boxes of Federal primers and don’t want to switch just yet.

What o-ring did you order? Do you have a link?

The blowback from the primer can foul the firing pin assembly in addition to being wasted hot gas that is intended to ignite the powder charge. My solution to this problem is the O-Ring in the primer pocket which provides a seal for the primer. This O-Ring was recommended on the BP rifle forums and it really works. When using this O-Ring make sure that the firing pin bushing is flush with the receiver face and when loading a primer point the action down and close with a firm snap. I find that the O-Ring lasts 10/20 shots before needing replacement. If your fired primers are less than squeaky clean I suggest that you try using the O-Ring. https://www.mcmaster.com/9262k611 (100) or https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...1?smid=A3FZE1HJFVXQMI&psc=1&tag=forumyield-20 (500)

Last edited:
That's the right size, same material and durometer.

I've been using them and others since I came up with the idea in 2008.

Latest posts

Back