CVA Breech Plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I got my new CVA Optima V2 rifle, the breech plug was coated with a silver anti-seize.
I don't know what brand it might be but it seems to be pretty long lasting, unlike some of the regular breech plug grease that I have been using with my pistol.
Does anyone know what that stuff is and do you use similar?
I did some quick Googlin and found a couple different brands.

It is supposed to be a nickel type anti seize grease. Its great stuff , resists heat and corrosion very well. There is a ceramic anti seize, sometimes labeled as Heavy Duty, that’s usually black like old dirty grease, it has the highest temp and corrosion resistance. Harder to find tho, imho, not really necessary for MLs.

Anti-seize is horrible stuff. It works great but tends to spread and get everywhere. And you need to clean the breech plug so the anti-seize is going to have to go at some point. I use a white high temp food-grade grease. Stays where I put it yet it's easily cleaned off. You should only need a very tiny amount on that plug.

When I got my new CVA Optima V2 rifle, the breech plug was coated with a silver anti-seize.
I don't know what brand it might be but it seems to be pretty long lasting, unlike some of the regular breech plug grease that I have been using with my pistol.
I have been using FEL-PRO C5A anti-sieze for years and it works flawlessly. It is made for high temp application in aircraft and is copper based. It's been a gunsmithing standard for decades. Use sparingly and be mindful not to get it on your hands...it's a bear to wash off. Brake parts cleaner washes it right away.

Does anyone use Teflon tape? And if so, just plain ol’ white Teflon tape?

I hate how messy the ant-seize is when I’m cleaning my breech plug and would love to switch to the tape if it works well.

Does anyone use Teflon tape? And if so, just plain ol’ white Teflon tape?

I hate how messy the ant-seize is when I’m cleaning my breech plug and would love to switch to the tape if it works well.
It doesn't work well with my CVA breech plugs. The tolerances are too tight for it and it gets pushed out of the threads and ends up bunched up in the breech. It's worth trying and if you can get away with it no reason not too.

Anti-seize is horrible stuff. It works great but tends to spread and get everywhere. And you need to clean the breech plug so the anti-seize is going to have to go at some point. I use a white high temp food-grade grease. Stays where I put it yet it's easily cleaned off. You should only need a very tiny amount on that plug.
I do the same plus it’s pretty good on a slice of bread 🍞😂

If you use too much it certainly will. It takes just a dab a thread or two back from the front of the breech plug to do the job. I'll put a dab on and run the plug in and pull it back out and check for coverage. It doesn't have to be on every square millimeter of the threads. And latex gloves are helpful here as well.

Deermanok, I use the standard CVA anti-seize lipstick on my breech plug, and it is a silver color, if that helps sir.

Latest posts

Back