CVA guys

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chick

Reaction score
What are the advantages / disadvantages of the old style vs the new style receiver opening on the Accura and Optima models? Any idea why they changed the design?

I own an Optima V2 in pistol and rifle never owned any other CVA's, but from what I have read the older design, like the wolf, have a flaw in that they tend to open by themselves after being fired. I can't say for sure never owned one. I really didn't care for the front lever open system either, looks like it would be easy to get bumped or caught in brush while hunting too.

The old style Accura opened the same as the new style. Me, i have no experience shooting the different styles, but in the store, i don't like the way the old Optima, or Wolf operate. One thing i do know is the old style breech plug is a way more durable than the new style. Several of the new ones sent me to work on, have arrived damaged in the mail.

Personally I think TC was selling a ton of guns at the time. With almost every tv hunting show shooting a TC Encore. CVA borrowed the idea to make the guns look and work better. Just like QLA and then the quick release breach plug.

I meant work better than the old style CVA. A CVA will never be a TC Prohunter. The TC Prohunter has a whole lot higher tolerances than any CVA gun does. That’s why you can switch barrels and that’s why a Prohunter frame costs as much as a CVA gun does. CVA makes a great gun for the money but it’s not a TC atleast in my opinion. That’s why they sell at a lot lower price point.

Or no
The old style Accura opened the same as the new style. Me, i have no experience shooting the different styles, but in the store, i don't like the way the old Optima, or Wolf operate. One thing i do know is the old style breech plug is a way more durable than the new style. Several of the new ones sent me to work on, have arrived damaged in the mail.[/QUOT

Ron, I am talking about the latch being in front of, and separate from the trigger guard, vs the newer style that has the latch incorporated into the trigger guard. Thanks

Old style did have tendency to get bumped and come open. Had it happen to me twice while the gun was slung over my shoulder. I had no idea it had opened but my buddy told me and sure enough the primer had fallen out.

I meant work better than the old style CVA. A CVA will never be a TC Prohunter. The TC Prohunter has a whole lot higher tolerances than any CVA gun does. That’s why you can switch barrels and that’s why a Prohunter frame costs as much as a CVA gun does. CVA makes a great gun for the money but it’s not a TC atleast in my opinion. That’s why they sell at a lot lower price point.

I was agreeing with this guy. I also feel a TC Encore/Pro Hunter is not on the same level as CVA Optima. But for the price point a CVA is very hard to beat.

Well, from my experience at the range, I have yet to see a T/C live up to it's hype, either in centerfire or muzzleloader. And I sure have not seen a T/C muzzleloader shoot the groups that the Accura PR prints. They must be out there, but I just have not seen them.

Old style did have tendency to get bumped and come open. Had it happen to me twice while the gun was slung over my shoulder. I had no idea it had opened but my buddy told me and sure enough the primer had fallen out.

Chick, this comment is as close to answering your question as it will get. I still don't see how T/C guns got drawn into a CVA specific question.

Chick, this comment is as close to answering your question as it will get. I still don't see how T/C guns got drawn into a CVA specific question.
I agree. But as T/C did get drawn in, I threw my 2 cents in the mix, as.well. Thanks!

I must throw my opinion in here, first I don’t own any cva guns, so no comment on them , however I own 4 encore guns 2 20 ga slug guns 2 50 cal muzzleloader. I have had accuracy fall off after a few years, I clean the firing pin and then did the bellm spring kit and pin and they become very accurate, the upgrades make them feel and shoot amazing. I once called tc for firing pins and they sent me a bunch of pins free , before smith and Wesson. I am a fan but now a knight snob

I have had all the brands mentioned and a few others, the only one I have not had is a Traditions and there are good reasons for that. I now have a custom barreled 45 and a 50 Endeavor in Encore and have sold all the other inlines. I still hunt with my side locks now and then and have gotten to the point where I do not feel a need for anything else.

Accura v1 is a wonderful rifle to shoot, and relatively easy to clean since I figured out how to stop blow back and keep all the soot off the back face where the firing pin and housing is. I can get 7 shots off with blackhorn 209 and win.209 primers in cold temperatures and well over a dozen in mild temperatures without worrying about misfires. When sighting in I take a spare breechplug in case more shots are needed.

My original question was, " What are the advantages / disadvantages of the old style vs the new style receiver opening on the Accura and Optima models? Any idea why they changed the design? "

Latest posts

Back