CVA guys

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I can do to help is to tell what I know about my old style. I do not own 10 or 20 cva muzzle loaders to compare them to.

The old style Wolf design was cheap looking and didn’t work good. It had probablems popping open when walking thru the woods bumping it on something or firing magnum loads. My old Optima Elite you had to slam the crap out of it to get it to stay shut. Then you had to check and see if you could cock the hammer. If you couldn’t you had to open it and slam it again. CVA was very low quality when they first started making break action muzzeloaders. There stocks are still very low quality today.

They copied the new style break open latch from TC. Just like they have everything else. The latch, the QLA and the quick remove Breech plug. They have tried twice now to totally copy TC with the Optima Elite and Apex. The Optima Elite was when CVA was still pretty low quality. The Apex was a nice rifle but it was expensive for a CVA. Nobody was going to buy a Apex and 2 or 3 barrels and have over a 1,000 bucks in a Cheap plastic stocked CVA. So CVA made the Scout line of cheaper rifles that they could sell. CVA even made the Scout pistols that look just like a Encore pistol. The cheap plastic stocks on the CVA pistols really suck.

Now CVA has the new Paramount. Which is a copy of a Knight 500/rem 700 ultimate.

CVA makes a great gun for the money for hunters. I own 3 of them and they all shoot good but the stocks suck on all of them. CVA is the one that brought other companies names into this question by stealing all their designs.

My original question was, " What are the advantages / disadvantages of the old style vs the new style receiver opening on the Accura and Optima models? Any idea why they changed the design? "

The Accura always had that style of breach release. Stocks, ramrod thimbles and breach plugs were changed around 2010 and later. Main difference is the QRBP for the Accura vs the old hex head plug.

Ive had an optima elite, and now have the accura v2. And i am currently working on a friends optima pro. Never owned the wolf but i did shoot one. Ive had the slam shut problem on both the accura and the elite. On the accura it was caused by the BP o-ring. I think the redesigned latch and the qrbp are the advantages to the v2 and i honestly barely noticed the relocated latch. But the qrbp was a no-brainer. Other builder was doing it and they had to keep up. Otherwise they should get better stocks like WPrather said. But ive never missed a deer cuz of the stock, just would be nice to have better options.

I’ve owned both the old and new style Optimas. The main reason CVA went to the rear opening design is that too many guns were being accidentally opened while carrying. It happened to me quite a few times. The front release would catch on clothing when I carried it on top of my shoulder or sometimes even when I had a sling. It hasn’t happened once with the new V2 rear release design.

Latest posts

Back