CVA Hankins conversion?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotts98rt

Reaction score
I just came across his scout v2 sml conversion on YouTube. I am interested in this , does anybody have one? How do you like it?

If you go on Hank's Message Board there are a number that have those conversions and seem to like them. About the most affordable way to get into smokeless muzzleloading. Handy rifles up to 200 yards or so.

I have 1 on order from Hankin's right now. I did have one of his Apex conversions a few years back and that shot lights out, so I'm hoping the Scout will do the same. It's probably going to be a little while before I get it from him but will update after I get to shoot it.

Just got a quote from hankins rifles on his scout conversions for sml.They are right at $1000.00 and will be read to be shipped the 15th of January.Yoy do get a lot of extra equipment to shoot the gun.

Wow, that is way way more than he was asking for the conversions. He was charging around $325 for a HIS conversion if you supplied the rifle. Adding in a sizing die still does not add up to a grand when you can buy the base rifle for around $380 or less.

If you are wanting to get into smokeless muzzle loading without breaking the bank, consider doing a conversion on either a Thompson Center Encore or a CVA Apex. I can convert your barrel to use my large rifle magnum primer ignition system (HIS) for a total cost of $325.00. This includes 25 primer modules, 1 breech plug with a Tungsten bushing, and return shipping.

$999 for the complete kit shipped to your FFL

sizing die $145
ramrod $65
funnel $65
rifle $380

breech plug install and components would then total $344, a little more than his other site quote but not terrible. His base rifle with a $65 loading funnel is $789 shipped.

I bought one from him about a month ago and I'm still getting the things together that I need so haven't shot it yet. mine has a 2lb 8oz trigger and the rifle has some weight to it which I like. I got an aluminum funnel with mine and he said they would be aluminum going forward. the ramrod has a spin jag type loading jag on it of his own making I believe. the sizing die comes with a wrench and a push stem too which bumps that price up. I put an EGW scope rail on mine with vortex pro rings. going with a Nikon monarch 3 2.5-10x42 scope, I don't foresee going over 60 gr of 4198 with a 275 bullet. bought some wool wads too just in case. I'm gonna start out with the parker BE 275 bullet. I also have a cva wolf muzzleloader and a cva 20 ga hunter slug gun and I love both those guns, they also have great triggers for a hammer gun. I'm excited about this gun, although I am going to camo paint it. I learned a few years back that the stainless barrel etc can be seen by deer from several hundred yds away, while hunting with my cva wolf, so I primer paint camoed the entire gun scope and all.

I haven't weighed the rifle but am guessing 8 lbs without a scope. I may add a little weight in the buttstock as it is a little weight forward in the heavy barrel. Hankins also makes a tactical muzzlelbrake for this gun that has 4 fish gills on each side and a locking collar so you can get it aligned horizontally on the barrel, for 85 dollars but they are out of stock right now, the threads are 18-1mm which is an oddball size you wont find anywhere else I believe.

If you get one make sure you degrease the scope rail mounting holes and screws with acetone or something similar as CVA leaves cutting oil in these holes and your Loctite won't get hard after mixing with it. the factory rail is ok but has very few slots in the top of it. the EGW has many slots.

Back