CVA help/question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nummy

Reaction score
Hello everyone-
Today I turned the trigger adjustment screw on my CVA Plaines Rifle, and the screw continued to turn counterclockwise with zero resistance to the point where I thought it could come completely out, so I screwed it back to the position it was at.
When I removed the barrel for cleaning I could hear a slight metallic rattling sound. I tipped the gun scope side down and a very small split washer fell out onto the bench.
My buddy thinks it’s related to the trigger adjustment screw.
This doesn’t seem to affect the trigger pull - it’s like it has been since I bought it. Obviously it’s been like this since it was assembled. I’m guessing CVA will tell me to send the gun back to them, but deer season is too near.
Do you fellers think I will do damage to the gun if I just use it the way it is?

That's a tuff call to make. Good sense says send it back or at least take it to a gunsmith. Do plan to be without it for a few weeks to a month. Maybe more this time of year. I've had my PR for a few years and have never had the trigger group apart. Ive always cleaned it with a spray, Gun Medic. I doubt it's a complicated assembly, unless you aren't adept at figuring out how stuff comes apart or goes together. Call around to some gunsmiths and find one who isn't too busy. But, yeah, i wouldn't risk shooting it.

Not sure what you mean....Do you mean to remove the barrel from the stock?

I’m guessing that the screw presses down on a type of resistance assembly to add friction to the trigger-pull, and my CVA has defaulted to the minimum trigger pull weight of 2.5 lbs because it appears that turning the screw does nothing. 2.5 lbs trigger pull is what I want. I will call CVA, but I’m not expecting much....

Most likely the e-clip fell off. I took my Apex buttstock off, it's just like my son's Accura and I'm guessing the same as your PR rifle.
When you turn the screw to lessen the trigger pull, the e-clip will bottom out on the action and prevent the screw from coming all the way out.

Red circle area shows the trigger adjustment screw and clip

The action is turned upside down for a better view of the clip and screw.
I''m guessing you should be able to install the e-clip with no trouble

There is a slot on the screw where the clip snaps in, my clip is tight and will not move freely unless I apply pressure to it

Last edited:
Most likely the e-clip fell off. I took my Apex buttstock off, it's just like my son's Accura and I'm guessing the same as your PR rifle.
When you turn the screw to lessen the trigger pull, the e-clip will bottom out on the action and prevent the screw from coming all the way out.

Red circle area shows the trigger adjustment screw and clip

The action is turned upside down for a better view of the clip and screw.
I''m guessing you should be able to install the e-clip with no trouble

There is a slot on the screw where the clip snaps in, my clip is tight and will not move freely unless I apply pressure to it
Outstanding reply and very accurate description of the problem. Thanks for the pictures!

BuckDoeHunter ? ! ? !
This guy is awesome. Years ago I had an issue with my Tradition Arms in-line, and BDH painstakingly took the time to help me turn that gun into an accurate weapon.
Thank you BDH !
I will let everyone know how it works out.
I have a few more questions for BDH:
* What would happen if I did nothing?
•Would there be any damage or safety risk if I left it alone?
• Is the only issue with not replacing that split washer is that I wouldn’t be able to adjust the trigger pull?
•What is the trigger pull with the split washer not installed?

Thanks everyone !

It looks like the the clip is there to prevent the screw from being turned out too far, having the clip in or out will not effect the pull weight of the trigger. If you set the screw back to it's original position and it feels good to you, I don't think you will have a problem. I would still get it fixed but you won't cause any damage and the screw will not move by itself because the screw is held in place from spring tension. You can still adjust the trigger pull but you have to be careful not to turn the screw out too far.

Ive had zero trouble with mine since using orings in the BP. So i just clean it out with gun medic spray and left the screw turned all the way ccw. After seeing yours i think he is fine just leaving it.

BuckDoeHunter was correct, and his detailed, step-by-step instructions, were easy to follow - it took me 10 minutes to break it down and reinstall that e-clip.

I could tell after sliding the e-clip back into place, via needle-nose pliers, that it was a bit to loose (sloppy), which is probably why it came apart in the first place, so I slightly squeezed the e-clip together, which allowed the e-clip to pinch tighter around the grove on the trigger adjustment screw.

The folks on this forum are awesome, and I truly feel blessed to be part of it. We're so fortunate to have people like BuckDoeHunter who goes the extra mile to help people out !

Muzzle season in Wisconsin three weeks away, and I'm giddy !

Latest posts

Back