CVA Kentucky pistol trigger

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently acquired a 1983 CVA Kentucky pistol in .45 caliber. Took it out to shoot it, and noticed that when you pull the trigger, it seemed to get to a “stopping place” and you really had to keep squeezing for it to finally fire. Any suggestions on how to make it a little more “sensitive?” Thanks!

Pull the lock and examine the inside of it. Look for a little screw that sits inside a small coil spring on the tumbler. Using a small flat head screw driver, back off on that screw a full turn or 2. That will lighten up the trigger pull.
Not all CVA locks have that screw, "fly" I think it's called.
If you don't have it, then it kinda is what it is.
The alternative is replacing the lock for something like an L&R or similar.

It isn’t that the trigger pull is super stiff. The trigger moves pretty freely. It is more that when you pull the trigger, you get to the end of the pull, and you have to squeeze further for it to go off. I’m obviously just going to have to keep messing with it, but just wondered if anyone had a ready “fix.” Thanks!

I have one of those pistols and a mountain pistol. They're a pretty simple design.
You could check to see if the sear arm is or isn't binding on any wood in the mortise.

Ok. I took the lock off, messed with the sear spring a little, and made the sear to trigger hole in the stock a tad bigger. I think that all helped. I guess I will know when next I shoot it. Thanks all, for the helpful advice!

Back