CVA Kodiak 45 muzzle velocity?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samwilliamson

Reaction score
Until i can get a chrony, can anyone guesstimate mv?
I have a cva Kodiak mag .45 cal 28" barrel
200 grain .40 Hornady sst in a harvester blue sabot
100gr by vol BH209 powder
Fed 209a primers

I think its around 1900. Super accurate for me out to 125 yds. Thats as far as I can shoot here. Im just trying to figure what trajectory might be out to 250yds.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

Re: Accura v2 PR muzzle velocity?

I was just looking at this chart that i found here
And it suggests that I'm 2000fps. Anyone shooting a similar load?
9ef99b258c4796e02fd8a1e5ff8f4b2c.jpg

Sorry, i titled this thread wrong. It should say kodiak not accura. I shoot a 300gr full bore lead over 100gr bh209 and 1/8 felt wad, Fed 209a primers in the accura it is my deer gun tho. Kodiak is just for fun and targets

I have the same gun and shooting a 200 grain XTP over 77 grains [weighed] of 209 I'm in the 2060 fps bracket according to a chrono a fella at the range had set up, but I only had one load to run thru it.

My gun is a one holer at 100 yards pretty much if I do my share of the shooting.

Thanks MrTom, that tells me that im probably pretty close on my suspected mv. I poured a bunch of loads today and weighed them. Came up with an averege of 74gr. I'm going to talk my wife into buying a chronograph for Christmas.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Have you shot much past 100yds with yours, MrTom?

Nada. Even scoped I have a dandy time trying to keep things in focus at 100. My hunting is never much more than a 50 yard poke with most being in the 15 to 25 yard area. I plan to hunt this 45 Kodiak at least once this fall with the load I mentioned.

I hunt with my Accura PR. Both are tack drivers but I like the knockdown power of 50 cal pure lead. All my shots seem to be 70 or less. Hunting on a farm but still get lots of close shooting since we mainly bow hunt there so it's kind of setup that way by design.

My first in-line years ago was a Winchester .45 bolt gun. Deadly accurate but it had bolt issues that in the field were not good so I sent it down the road inspite of having shot several deer with it. I know a .45 will dump a deer in a blink. I hunt an Accura V2 as the first gun, then an optima pistol.
I haven't had this current Kodiak any further than the gun range but want to get it in the woods this year so after my first tag is filled and I'm hunting other days to fill the second I plan to take the Kodiak instead of the pistol.

Good luck on the hunt Sam. I start this Saturday.

I would have expected more speed from that load.
I have a Black Diamond Super 45 XR, 26 inch barrel, that gets a flat 1800 fps with 70 grains of Swiss gr of 3f Swiss black and a 200 grain 40 caliber XTP in Harvester crush ribs. Its accurate and a death ray on deer.

I chrony’d some M-L loads. My 45 cal Elite had a low deviation 2218 FPS average with 115 grains volume of B209, 195 Barnes in a crush rib sabot.

My 50 cal had a 1950 FPS average, 115 grains B209, 250 grain SST.

Both of these loads had a very low spread. My buddy shot a few rounds through the crony with ‘Shockey’s Gold’ powder, he never used that powder again.

Back