CVA Kodiak Pro/Hornady FPB/BH 209 on elk & PICTURE

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggo

Reaction score
I botched my chance at a fine bull but my wife delivered the goods on a nice 5x5 bull in Colorado a week ago. We did an 8 day pack in hunt. What an incredible experience. Anyway, she was shooting a CVA Kodiak Pro with the 350gr Hornady FPB and 90gr of Blackhorn 209. Crono velocity on that load was 1680. Bull was shot at a little under 20 yards and hit rib bone going in but not shoulder. The bullet did not make it to the other side so only 1 bone hit. The bullet was not recovered but honestly, I didn't think to look for it. The entrance hole was impressively large and the bull only went about 15 yards before dropping stone dead. Lots of blood over the short trail. I tried to figure out how to post a picture but don't see any means to do that.

2008elk1582.jpg

Congrats to your wife on a job well done. I'm sure y'all had a great time with the pack in hunt. The Kodiak is obviously shooting well with BH209. What kind of groups did you get out of it?

sluggo,
Congrats to your wife on her bull! Glad to hear you got into the elk. Thanks for the report on the FPB, sounds like it works very well. Please send a PM to big6x6, and he'll let you know how to get the pics posted. Again, congrats, man that's some good eating right there. :applause:

sluggo

If you would like to post a picture... is the picture on your computer? if it is type in www.photobucket.com - registrer with the site then it will offer you the oportunity to upload a picture. Browse to the location of the picture and the name of the picture - when you have it in it will upload it automatically for you.

Once it is uploaded -you click on the tag called IMG Code - it will then say "copied" - then paste that into your message here...

This is a picture from my collection...

IMG http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/ ... efield.jpg /IMG

This is the code that would be inserted to get this picture - I have removed the bractets before and after the codes at the beginning and the end of the picture code so you can see the code.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/sabotloader/Blowbackinthefield.jpg

If this fails for you - you can email the pic to me and I will post them for you

Oh ya! Congrats to the good shooter.... I'll be glad when our season get here...

mike

Congratulations to Mrs. Sluggo!

What area were you hunting in?

Sounds like the FPB did the job. That is 2 elk with Blackhorn 209 and FPB so far. 8)

CVA Kodiak/ Hornady FPB / Blackhorn 209

We are getting about 1.5"-2" groups at 100 yards with open sights. Can't use scopes here in Colorado so I imagine with a scope the groups would tighten up some. I don't want to give away our spot so I'll just say we were hunting the Flattops. This bull was taken at 10,200 feet. Here's a thank you in advance to Sabotloader for posting my pic. Guess I'm not computer savy enough to figure it out.

Congrats to you both
Once you post your first pic youll be good to go
The above advice is spot on.

sluggo

Dang! she done good!!!!

That is a really nice looking animal - now I gotta go back and re-read the story - but then again you could always post more details - there has got to be "more to the story"

mike

Congrats to you both!

Wow, an 8 day pack hunt - that's super.
Was it 2 days of hunting & then 6 days of packing meat out? :D

-Mike

more to the story

OK, it was day 2 of the hunt and we decided to take a long horseback ride to get the lay of the land and see what our eyes and ears might tell us. We'd never hunted this area before so everything was wonderful and new. As we were riding along a stretch of black timber we were treated to the screams of 3 bulls bugling their fool heads off. We guessed they were 200 yards or so into the timber. We tied off our horses and eased our way in. I put Liz out in front and I sat back with a cow call and a camcorder. We coaxed and coaxed but they would not come any closer so we decided to move in on them. We put about 50 yards between us and crept our way in. Ever sooooo slowly. A gentle cow call here and there to cover any sounds we might make. I think the cow calling coming from our 2 locations put the elk at ease a bit. In short order the cover was so thick you could hardly see 10 yards in many places and all the downed trees. Really thick, nasty stuff. At one point I knew I had a bull within 50 yards but I just couldn't see him through all the junk, then there was a cow 15 yards away and then BOOOOOMMMMMM. Liz had 2 of the bulls step out right in front of her so she picked the better of the 2 and crushed it. Never knew what hit him. I was thinking OH, S...., not in here but it was too late. I made my way over to Liz, congrats, hugs, smiles, a few photos. Now what. Liz made her way out of the timber to try bringing the horses in as far as she could while I field dressed and quartered the elk. It was getting late so we pulled the backstraps and tenders, hung the quarters and came back the next day to pack it all out. Fortunately the coyotes and bears took pity on us and left our meat alone. Maybe peeing around the area and wiping my sweaty undergarments around the area helped, maybe not. Liz gets bragging rights for the year. That's OK, I'm a big fan of hers.

sluggo

Ah! great addition to the story - It had to be a great trip - Wish you would have hired one of those TV shows to hunt with - actually they should have paid you to go along with you and Liz and get the whole thing on tape... It really sounds like it would make a great hunting episode...

more of the story

It was the trip of our lives. Absolutely marvelous! The first day sucked huge, the rest was outstanding. It was going to be a 4 person hunt but the other 2 guys decided to stay dry, fed and comfortable and just hunt out of base camp so Liz & I took the 4 horses loaded with all our gear and headed up the mountain to make a spike camp deep in elk country. Muddy footing, too long of lead ropes and poorly secured gear resulted in rodeo after rodeo. It was a disaster. After about 5 hours of frustration we made it to a great spot with a nice beaver pond and set up camp. The skies cleared, the elk bugled and all was well with the world, that is until we came out 8 days later and found out what mess the economy was in but that's another matter.

We took the extra 2 horses back to the other guys the next morning (they had contacted the sheriff to ask about search and rescue when we didn't have the horses back the night before) but no harm, no foul. They hunted out of base camp, we hunted out of spike camp and everyone had an outstanding time. Liz was the only person to get an elk in our group and of the 15 or so hunters I ran into, Liz was the only one to get a bull, one other hunter got a cow. Still it was the best hunt of my life. Now, if only I hadn't come unglued when I had an estimated 320 class bull step out 30 yards in front of me.......oh, well, it was still our best hunt ever.

nice lookin bull! I bet that was a lot of fun.

Im surprised the bullet didnt exit with it only hitting one rib bone. Would love to see one of these bullets and how it looks after hitting game.

Sounds like you were hunting northern colorado.

elkin

You came safe, succesful and still married! Great vacation far as i can see!! :wink:

Back