CVA Leaked the new Paramount Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edmehlig said:
I’d much rather have an improved Apex design.

So would I, but that probably isn't going to happen.

The switch barrel rifles are a dying breed, it's mainly cheaper and lighter dedicated barreled alloy receivers these days. H&R/NEF got killed off by Remington, after running them in the ditch. The Optima Elite and Apex were killed off by CVA in favor of the dedicated barreled Scout V2 & Hunter in Center Fires, Accura MR/PR/V2/LR, Optima V2, Wolf in muzzleloaders. Encore still does it in the Pro Hunter, but even they went to the FX dedicated muzzleloader. Henry has a new single shot and Traditions has them, all with dedicated barreles only.

The Achilles Heel of the Apex and Encore were the sloppy hinge pins.I think Mike Bellm made/makes a living off improving those rifles.

I've got a Scout V2 chambered in .450 Bushmaster with a 1:24 Twist Bergara Barrel that shoots outstandingly well. A few guys are having the Scout V2 .45-70 barrels converted to their fast twist .45 caliber muzzleloader. Anyone with an Apex receiver can pick up a converted .45-70 barrel from ASG right now in 209 or LRMP module ignition.

The fast twist .45 caliber shooting land riding bullets is the way of the future of muzzleloading, IMO. What's old, is new again, except with better triggers and ignition systems.

The Bergara B-14 HMR (Hunting & Match Rifle) chambered in .450 Bushmaster is now available. This raised the bar for all other production bolt action rifles in that caliber from Ruger and Savage, and a few customs for that matter.

As much as I'd like to have this new fast twist CVA Paramount .45 caliber bolt action, I'd be just as happy with a Scout V2, Accura MR, or even an Optima V2 in a fast twist .45 caliber Magnum capable muzzleloading rifle.

The 1:24 twist Bergara Barrel in my Scout V2 .450 BM shoots better than my 1:16 Twist Ruger American bolt rifle in .450 BM.

I'll probably unload a few outdated ignition Knight bolt rifles and get one of the Paramounts, or get me a Scout V2 1:20 in .45-70 and have it converted, if CVA doesn't bring the fast twist .45 cals back to the Accura MR, Optima V2. I would also like to see them offer the Optima V2 Pistol in a fast twist 1:20 - 1:24 twist.45 caliber as long as we are dreaming.

With all that said, unfortunately I think the Apex is dead, as far as a new production rifle. But there's options to get you want.

That is unless you have ZERO interest, and only 2 cents! :lol:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-11-08-18-53-52.jpeg
    Screenshot_2018-11-08-18-53-52.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 278
Has anyone looked close at the super short action on this CVA Paramount prototype? Notice the action cutout in the Bergara B-14 HMR stock.

Bergara B-14 HMR

Also take a closer look at the staggered stepped fluting on the barrel. Just a couple observations.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-11-08-18-53-52-1-1-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-11-08-18-53-52-1-1-1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 247
  • Screenshot_2018-11-08-18-53-52-1-2.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-11-08-18-53-52-1-2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 248
  • Bergara-Hunting-Match-Rifle-Bolt-Action.jpg
    Bergara-Hunting-Match-Rifle-Bolt-Action.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 246
IDK if anyone heard about it but, i have heard that CVA is going to release an Accura TH/LR .45cal. Fast twist? 30" nitride barrel. I am more interested in it cuz its likely more affordable than the Paramount.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

samwilliamson said:
IDK if anyone heard about it but, i have heard that CVA is going to release an Accura TH/LR .45cal. Fast twist? 30" nitride barrel. I am more interested in it cuz its likely more affordable than the Paramount.

They need to do it in the Accura MR and PR!

If they play the way Knight does, then I bet they will.

A fast twist break action was mentioned a couple years ago and then poof. IIRC it was Carlos that said they would be showing it off at a shotshow but it never did. It wasnt that long ago they did offer a 45cal Accura and Apex but those were 1-28s.

The Apex and B-14 platforms will allow for the breach to be 1.1" OD or larger in the case of the B-14. It could be as large as 1.20+ if im not mistaken. Ive never measured a Accura or Accura MR but the MR could possibly be around 1.1" also. Just as a frame of reference thats larger than a Savage MLII barrel.

Many of us shooting fast twist 45s want the option of jacketed sabotless. The beefier barrel is nice just in case you make a terrible mistake.

A vendor that i use at work has this on their website.
Sorry for the sh***y pic but i had to take a screen shot with my phone.
a5f2693d8d8afc38e94510976f9ed509.jpg

Only one more month! :mrgreen:

Here is the new bullet. It is definitely a new design. Fluted body, higher BC, smaller hollow point cavity.

PowerBelt™ Paramount ELR Muzzleloader Bullets - .45 Cal 280 Grain Bullets

Attachments

• powerbelt-elr-bullets-cva-paramount-bullets-mz-bullets-45-cal (1).jpg
    powerbelt-elr-bullets-cva-paramount-bullets-mz-bullets-45-cal (1).jpg
    77 KB · Views: 89
Busta said:
Someone yanked the pages off Facebook and Instagram. Maybe they are adding to, or they already got the reaction they were looking for?

Might have been leaked by someone that was overstepping their boundaries? Might be a marketing ploy to create some buzz?

Build it CVA! Also, convince Bergara to chamber the B-14 Hunter in .450 Bushmaster. Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, and Iowa deerhunters will love you for it.

The Bergara B14 HMR in .450 Bushmaster has been available for 6 weeks. I'm setting one up as I type.

i bet those new powerbelts will be more expensive than any custom muzzleloader bullet i am curently shooting now . Im not in any way knocking the bullets i just get beat up on the cost of my bullets.This is my only hobby i dont have a problem spending money on bullets . Even if all i did was hunt like thousands of other hunters they do not have mind spending the money on Powerbelts for a couple of dozen of shots each year (if even that many shots )

My point is . To each their own. Interesting looking bullet and gun .

muzzle-loaders.com has the new bullets listed at $2 each. The new 45cal 250gr Aerolite is a little bit cheaper. MSRP on the Aerolite is over $32/15

Notice the review by Jeff C on 6/28/2018...yeah right....the rifle isnt even out yet so you know that is "compensated"
Who is Jeff C?.....Could it be...
Jeff Clemens
President | Muzzle-loaders.com

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/powerbel ... grain.html
"Work perfectly with the CVA Paramount rifle."

Notice the review date of 1-12-2017 for the Aerolite 250gr.
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/bullets/ ... 551at.html

fishhawk2700 said:
Busta said:
Someone yanked the pages off Facebook and Instagram. Maybe they are adding to, or they already got the reaction they were looking for?

Might have been leaked by someone that was overstepping their boundaries? Might be a marketing ploy to create some buzz?

Build it CVA! Also, convince Bergara to chamber the B-14 Hunter in .450 Bushmaster. Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, and Iowa deerhunters will love you for it.

The Bergara B14 HMR in .450 Bushmaster has been available for 6 weeks. I'm setting one up as I type.

Yeah, I know it's been out for a couple months now. I wrote that back in June.I didn't want to see them let this opportunity slip by for another season. Hoping to see them put it in a Hunter or Ridge stock for next year, then I might bite. The HMR stock is nice, but not something I want to be lugging around for hunting. Sitting in a blind, no problem.

Keep us posted!

GM54-120 said:
muzzle-loaders.com has the new bullets listed at $2 each. The new 45cal 250gr Aerolite is a little bit cheaper. MSRP on the Aerolite is over $32/15

Notice the review by Jeff C on 6/28/2018...yeah right....the rifle isnt even out yet so you know that is "compensated"
Who is Jeff C?.....Could it be...
Jeff Clemens
President | Muzzle-loaders.com

"Work perfectly with the CVA Paramount rifle."

Notice the review date of 1-12-2017 for the Aerolite 250gr.
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/bullets/ ... 551at.html

You're catching on! :D

They got to shoot the prototype rifle back then.

Hoping to see them put it in a Hunter or Ridge stock for next year, then I might bite. The HMR stock is nice, but not something I want to be lugging around for hunting. Sitting in a blind, no problem.

My thoughts exactly on the 450BM.

Now on the Paramount that stock is interesting. I wonder with TB having CVA as a sponsor if he has one and has just been quiet? Im very interested in more details such as if the barrel is threaded to the receiver. It appears to be. Frankly though his opinion on 45s has never been very high so he simply may have no interest in reviewing one. He takes nice pics though. :D

Im also interested in the 2 other 45s in the pic. Are they MR based or V2 based. The one thing i dont have in my collection is a light weight 45 fast twist. I have zero interest in a Accura V2 but for the right price a MR type rifle in a fast twist 45 would get my attention. Even a fast twist Optima.

If you are talking about this pic? They are both Accura V2 LR's with thumbhole stocks and 30" barrels. One is just a rifle, the other is some package deal.

The Paramount is a 26" barrel that is threaded into the receiver like a Remington 700.

I would bet that Toby has either shot it, or at least had the opportunity to shoot it, if he doesn't have one in his possession right now. I would also bet that Cecil has as well, if they are indeed going to go with his large variflame ignition. Not what I would like to see, but still better than the factory Knight 500 Red Full Plastic Jacket ignition and the Remington UM ignition, IMO.

They would be better off going with the Hankins Ignition System (HIS), or the Arrowhead Sporting Goods (ASG II) ignition systems if they are going with the LRMP module systems. Better yet IMO, would be the 209 with a headspaceable breechplug something like ASG has.

At last the Accura V2 LR should still be the 209 primer in the QRBP. Just hope they add the Accura MR to the .45 list for year as well.

I'm hoping this is a typo, or an unfinished listing from am old template. Go down in the bullet link and read the part what they are:

"Optimized Ballistics
Designed for modern 1:28 muzzleloader twist rates"

That was like a punch in the gut. If these .45 caliber rifles aren't at least a 1:24 twist or faster, I'm totally out!

Attachments

• modern-twist.jpg
    modern-twist.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 192
  • a5f2693d8d8afc38e94510976f9ed509.jpg
    a5f2693d8d8afc38e94510976f9ed509.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 190
Im really not interesting Cecils LRVF system. Some of the guys that used them on MLIIs were not overly thrilled with them. Head spacing has to be perfect. Luke at Arrowhead has a 223 case head LRMP module too if the Paramount bolt would need a smaller case head. Cecils is based on the 22 Hornet so the bolt might be too small OD for the other modules.

I have no problem just sticking with 209 ignition and a tungsten bushing or just a good hard plug like my NULA. Its still like new and flawless performance.

My main criteria is 1-24 or faster and bore uniform enough for sabotless upto 300gr. Loads over 84grW of BH209 approved would be strongly preferred but not a deal breaker in a rifle like a MR or Optima. Threaded muzzle for optional muzzle brake would be a huge plus on the Paramount.

There's always the Scout V2 in .45-70 to fall back on. You can buy one for around $350, comes with the KDF radial brake and thread protector now too. Has the quick takedown forend, which is nicely done just like on my .450BM.

Could have your choice of breech plugs installed, ASG 209, ASG II module, HIS module, and others.

This would leave you with a SS fast twist 1:20 .45 caliber with a 25" (23-3/16" without brake) Bergara Barrel, that is not only Blackhorn 209 compatible, but would allow you to use alternative powders as well. And best of all, you can have it exactly how you would like it.

Only downside I can see is you can't add a ramrod under the barrel unless it's a collapsible one because of the take down feature, and no Nitride.

Latest posts

Back