CVA Leaked the new Paramount Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just noticed that Bergara has the B-14 Hunter stock (without bottom metal) for $149 in a short action. Their bottom metal is pricey but if Rem700 stuff fits it could bring the cost down a bunch. That HMR stock is $490 BTW.

I noticed that over the weekend also. I heard the Bergara USA Custom Shop would swap the the B-14 HMR stock for a Hunter stock on the .450 Bushmaster center fire. The CVA Paramount is technically not a Bergara, and CVA has no custom Shop. Good luck trying to sell the muzzleloading HMR stock for anywhere near the $490. It would still cost full price with the HMR stock, plus the additional cost of the Hunter stock to get what I'd want.

Still waiting on the twist to be revealed. The Scout V2 conversion looks like the best choice for me right now.

Jason Sebo, VP of Sales & Brand Manager for CVA, hammered this beautiful Illinois brute on opening day of the 2018 gun season. Now here is where it is more than just another buck on the ground. Jason used the new Accura LR in .45 caliber which makes this the first whitetail taken with this “New for 2019” muzzleloader. Yes, we said .45 caliber! With a faster twist rate of 1:22, it is superior over .45 caliber muzzleloaders of the past. Paired with the new ELR @powerbelt_hunting Bullets, we are once again changing the playing field in hunting with a muzzleloader! What are your thoughts on the .45?

46508670_10155593728501286_995968040807956480_n.jpg

I'm not sure if anyone saw, but CVA made a post about a new muzzleloader coming soon, called the Paramount. Most of the information being shared is based off previous information, combined with information off the posts and comments.

-Bolt Action Design
-Same stock as Bergara HMR
-Faster-twist rate (don't know exactly what thought)
-Possibly not 50 cal
-Capable of 140 grains of Blackhorn 209
-New Powerbelt Paramount 280 grain bullet for this gun (which makes me think this could be .45 cal)

Should be interesting, and we will post more info when we can.
I saw it. I’m not real interested in the rifle, but I would like to try out the new Powerbelt bullet in my 1:20 Knight Disc rifles. I think the CVA has a 1:22.

Not ready to switch to Powerbelt,given all the relatively new bullets on the market, including Harvester’s white lightning. Knight’s headspace issues are easy to solve. I’d be willing to look at the Bergara rifles.

Video is out. Pause it when you get to the better shots of the bolt assembly...Looks kinda cool.

I'd like to see one close up. I'm still not sure how the self adjusting headspace works? I could see maybe buying one down the road, but it would be with the intention to make it into more of a hunting rifle. It's a nice looking gun, that's for sure.

Between the 777 pellets and the trouble of having to disassemble a bolt action muzzle loader, I got burned out so bad, I will never use another bolt action, and those 777 pellets need to be outlawed.

I can take apart my Knight bolts without even a tool. Literally takes a few seconds. When a bolt action is setup correctly there is almost no need to clean much in the breach. My primers come out shiny clean. Wipe it out with a solvent patch on a shotgun brush.

1minute 12seconds to take it apart and put it back together

Bolt pulls right out by moving 1 little pin.

Last edited:
Between the 777 pellets and the trouble of having to disassemble a bolt action muzzle loader, I got burned out so bad, I will never use another bolt action, and those 777 pellets need to be outlawed.
I'm with you. You got big publications like Field & Stream writing articles about testing the newest best muzzleloaders and they are using pellets to test them. I hear more stories of hunters missing deer because of pellets but they don't really put it together that the pellets are the problem. They argue they are convenient, there is no convenience in patching after every shot or in missing a deer that may have been the only chance for the season. The worse part is there is a perfect solution, BH209.
Field & Stream just published an article about the new CVA Paramount. They mention how they are getting a whopping 2200 fps with a 280 ELR powerbelt and 150 grains of BH209. I just 2 weeks ago I chronographed Powerbelt 300 gr Aerotip Platinum's at 2173 fps with 120 gr BH209 in a 45 cal with a 24" barrel. Something doesn't make sense here.

I'm with you. You got big publications like Field & Stream writing articles about testing the newest best muzzleloaders and they are using pellets to test them. I hear more stories of hunters missing deer because of pellets but they don't really put it together that the pellets are the problem. They argue they are convenient, there is no convenience in patching after every shot or in missing a deer that may have been the only chance for the season. The worse part is there is a perfect solution, BH209.
Field & Stream just published an article about the new CVA Paramount. They mention how they are getting a whopping 2200 fps with a 280 ELR powerbelt and 150 grains of BH209. I just 2 weeks ago I chronographed Powerbelt 300 gr Aerotip Platinum's at 2173 fps with 120 gr BH209 in a 45 cal with a 24" barrel. Something doesn't make sense here.

There's not much debate on BH when it comes to it being a great propellant, if one's rifle is capable of shooting it.
I also agree with GM, that a properly sealed bolt action is simple to clean. A Remington 700 bolt can be easily disassembled and cleaned, but if the breach is sealed properly its not needed for every session.

As for pellets, in general, pellets stored and used properly are not the problem for missing a deer, when its PP planning and lack practice by the hunter that's the real problem.
For most hunters and at the average range that most game is harvested, pellets are not as bad as many like to believe, as long as the shooter has done his/her homework finding the proper sabot/bullet combination, and have had sufficient range time. Some shooters end up with pretty darn good 100yd groups using pellets.
Now I'm not indicating pellets are the absolute best, when loose propellant can allow for the tweaking of smaller groups, if that's what a particular shooter is looking for. As for patching between shots, even when shooting BH, the most accurate shooters with high quality rifles, may have a rifle that shoots smaller groups when swabbing between shots.

As for cleaning and the accuracy of T7 pellets, out of my UF I can completely clean the rifle barrel after a range session with just 5 patches. As for the accuracy that I've been able to achieve with T7 pellets, the photo in my avatar is of 5 shots at 400yds measuring 1.5"

As for the velocity of the Paramount that may be indicated, it …… may.... be related to their new bullet itself and how well it seals. I'm betting that as owners start getting their hands on that rifle, much better bullets will be shot and you'll see the velocity and accuracy change significantly.

So the the bolt assembly has a spring behind it or something that keeps pressure on the primer and breech plug? Or I'm I seeing it wrong?
I think if I could get this action on a 700 Ultimate stock and figure out how to put a ramrod on the gun, I'd be real interested. But at that price I could probably just get an Ultimate. Or build a custom. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that there's a new muzzleloader on the market and that CVA is coming out with something altogether different from what they've done in the past. It's just not for me at that price point.

Kirby,
The B-14 action should drop into pretty much any Rem700 stock with very little work. You might need to open up the barrel channel and thats assuming there is enough "meat" on the forearm to open it up. One thing i noticed right off the bat is the size of the barrel against the action. Its clearly smaller than the action by a fair amount. Frankly im surprised it isnt larger. My NULA is probably close the that size near the action. Its over an inch but tapers quickly. A RemUML is even larger at around 1.20" IIRC. So yeah a Paramount barreled action might just drop into a RemUML stock.

A Remington 700 bolt can be easily disassembled and cleaned, but if the breach is sealed properly its not needed for every session

My NULA is spotlesss in the breach after firing it. It does seal a 209 differently though by the rim of the primer. If you took out the NULA bolt which is removed by pressing a button, you would think you were looking at a CF action after firing it. My Knights are about as clean with a Win209 and the one with the Bestill plug is super clean with a Fed209A also.

This is my 54-120 with the first Lehigh plug i got. The first batch were slightly worse than the rest. Dave at Lehigh sent out free replacements because he wasnt completely happy with them

Im sure this was after well over 20 shots. Probably more like 40 shots of BH209. The fouling just wiped right off.
9cWFbih.jpg

Extreme 50 after a heavy range day. From the 2nd batch of Lehigh plugs
9CiV2Nw.jpg

buLb5VN.jpg

Seriously, do you have that "self headspacing" figured out yet?

If they did all it would take is a new plug and 22 Hornet sized Hankins/ASG type modules to get rid of the Variflame style. Those are screenshots of the Youtube video.

it almost looks like a spring pushing the module against the breech plug ? Cant see how that would hold much pressure.

Im also surprised the barrel profile is not bigger . The stock must be heavy ?

Back