CVA Mag, hunter, firebolt, etc

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick McChristy

Reaction score
I have seen a few of these on the cheap in 45 caliber, thinking about trying 1 out - are these total junk or can they be built into a decent blackhorn shooter without rebarreling, rebolting, & rebreachpluging? Thanks

Ive heard the Firebolts are decent but have never owned any of the ones you've listed.. might try a google search for reviews on forums should get some good results that way also.

I owned a hunter bolt long ago. Decent gun. I didn't know squat about MLs back then tho. Traded it for something... probably. I had a CVA Kodiak in 45. That was a gun i wish i still had. Same design as the TC Omega. CVA has always made good barrels imho.

iirc, the old cva bolts could be shimmed to seal the primer. It seems like the bolt comes apart and you have to figure out how much to shim the bolt face from the bolt body. then find or make a shim the correct thickness. I could be wrong tho. Been a long time.

My first inline was the Magbolt .50. I've taken quite a few deer with the Platinum Powerbelts. Open Breech and not a true bolt action. I tried the breech plug mod and a home spun bolt head to shoot Blackhorn 209 but still had misfires. May try again someday but redirected to a TC Impact .50 for using Blackhorn and the CVA Accura .45 1-22 twist to try a 45 cal. Spent some $ but maybe safer and cheated the Doctors.
Looked on Armslist for the CVA 45 Magbolt, Hunterbolt, Firebolt, Elkhorn but they got pricey and decided retail was a better choice. The Elkhorn is top of the line in that series, not sure if came in a .45. The firebolt in .45 would be nice for a 777 rifle.
The .45 is a 1-28 Twist.

Last edited:
Magbolt is 1 of the 45’s I’m looking at. Are the 22”-24” barrel? What did they weigh? Thanks

I owned a hunter bolt long ago. Decent gun. I didn't know squat about MLs back then tho. Traded it for something... probably. I had a CVA Kodiak in 45. That was a gun i wish i still had. Same design as the TC Omega. CVA has always made good barrels imho.
My buddy has 1 of those CVA Kodiak's . They are a really nice gun !!! I like that type of action alot actually !!! Very user friendly !!!

I think its called a drop block or a drop breech. Something like that. On the Kodiak the trigger guard has a little spur off the bottom that you push forward and the hammer and firing pin block swing down into the stock. That leaves the breech wide open to put in the primer.

I had a CVA Kodiak in 45. That was a gun i wish i still had. Same design as the TC Omega. CVA has always made good barrels imho.

I found a Kodiac .45 cal a couple years ago for 100 bucks. Clean gun. Great shooter. I picked up a couple spare breech plugs and drilled them for the vent liners and shoot nothing but 209 in it....63 grains weighed, 200 grain XTP or a Barnes 195 grain copper and its lights out accurate at 100 yards. I've shot several 5 shot groups into a quarter sized group at 100. Deer hate the gun. Very light recoil with the load mentioned and the 4X12 Simmons scope does not ever shift. I really didn't need the gun when I bought it but won't part with it now.

Back