CVA MISSOURI RANGER Rebuild

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So my girlfriends mother found an older CVA BP muzzle loader and gave it to me for free. Its badly rusted and the bore is pitted beyond anything I'd shoot. I'm brand new to bps and am very interested to fix it up and get it to operate good. I've taken it apart and have soaked all rusty parts in white vinegar and removed all rust from all gun parts. Now that I've seen what the rifling looks like, I'd like to get the barrel re-lined. So like a dumb sh*t I tried to remove the bolster before soaking in pb blaster and snapped the threads flush off into the breech plug. My goal was to strip the barrel to send it out to re-line the barrel or try it myself, i care more about saving the breech plug than the bolster, so if I could figure out the screw size into the breech plug I could just drill and tap to fit a new bolster screw. So as of right now, I've tried researching everything I can about this gun and it seems very far extinct, I want to resurrect this old gun, and any tips and constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated lol. Thanks in advance! -Kyle

Last edited:
This is a tough one, First off i have very little experience with CVA (i Just recently purchased my 1st one) it is my understanding that CVA Breech Plug setups On Sidelocks were NOT meant to be Removed, and doing so is extremely difficult, Voids Warranty etc. That being said, i have seen pictures of it fairly recent, Jonathan of Frontiermuzzleloading (Forum) Has pictures of Replacing the Bolster on a CVA Sidelock, I would go read Jon’s Thread, and Speak with him about it. I believe the pictures that Jon has is Precisely what you are looking for, He just replaced the Bolster, But with yours being Broken off i am not Sure? Where there’s a Will, there’s usually a Way :lewis:

Good Luck! I hope you get it up and Running!!

Clean it up best you can, put it back together, hang it on the wall where MIL sees it when she visits.

Clean it up best you can, put it back together, hang it on the wall where MIL sees it when she visits.

Or this :D

I agree with bubba unless it is a very Sentimental Piece, You say the Barrel needs Bored, or Re lined, That isn’t exactly Cheap, Even with Robert Hoyt Doing them at 120 a Barrel, you have 25-30 Dollars in Shipping X2, about 180 Bucks to have a Re Bore back in your Hands (i just went through this) Cost wise, I don’t believe there is a CVA Out there Worth this Trouble/Expense, Again Unless it was a Sentimental deal.

I am not sure how one would go about getting a Broke off bolster out of one of these CVA Breech Plugs? The easiest way would probably be to get a Brand New Breech Plug and Bolster, Cut the Old one off, have the Barrel Re threaded for the New Plug. The above is an uneducated Guess? I really don’t know what to tell ya? I am not even sure if you can obtain a Brand New Complete CVA Breech Plug and Bolster Set? If so and you went this Route, you would have an under Rib to Cut and Shorten, and the Wedge Lug would need Re Done/Moved as well. I would bet You could buy a REALLY nice Used Rifle for Less than you will have in this project.

I’d start looking on eBay for another barrel. I wouldn’t be surprised if the barrel from another model would fit the Missouri Ranger, but I don’t know.

Latest posts

Back