CVA Mountain Rifle info

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Told my Ma and Pa that I was gonna be a mountain man! Acted like they was gut shot:) Round Balls and Such...WHAAA

:D Easy Big Fella! When i get this little .45 Mountain Rifle dialed in I’ll SPANK your 45 GM LRH with it! ;)

October country sells .015 or .018 pillow ticking patch in strips for cutting at the muzzle. (ala. Dutch Schoultz) Dutch is an elderly gentleman that has helped a lot of people to shoot round balls. He has a black powder rifle accuracy print out that he has worked on for years and recorded his results and advice. He is a very funny man, I've emailed him many times and it seems like he is sitting at the computer to return emails. He is in a home now and has diabetes.
I have his book I use Ballistol and water for his dry patch system. NAPA doesn’t sell the same formulation of machine oil anymore

Got to do it right. :D
6NWXHdG.gif

Got it! My new CVA Mountain Rifle in .45 Cal, 1:66 Twist. It is definitely brand new unfired, and in the Factory Box. Man was this thing Dirty from sitting around all these years, i spent part of a Day Cleaning, and polishing it up. I pulled the Barrel first and Gave it a good Thorough Cleaning, It took a bit of Scrubbing but I finally got it pulling Cotton White patches, The first few patches were kinda Scary, NASTY BROWN! But after getting through that it Started cleaning up Nice. After getting the Bore THOROUGHLY clean and Dry, I went over the Stock and Barrel good with 0000 Steel wool, Then rubbed in a light coat of Ray’s Gun wax, Jon of Frontiermuzzleloading sent me a Sample of Ray’s Gun Wax, I am VERY IMPRESSED with it! In fact i will be using it on all of my Blued guns from here on! This Wax goes a LONG ways, i used a Cleaning patch and 1 little Dip of Ray’s on the Patch, i was able to do the entire gun with that! She shines like a New/Old Coin Now :)

I have it loaded and ready to Shoot, hopefully the Weather cooperates in the next day or 2, We started getting some wet Weather.

Here are some Pics, they are not great, lighting is not real good in here for pics. The wood is DARK, But it has really nice figure throughout when you look close, From my understanding this is Maple, Very nice Rifle! I am happy to of gotten it

Hps90Q7l.jpg

WuMRzyMl.jpg

r49EFC8l.jpg

8E3osZIl.jpg

U1xTamYl.jpg

8eTCTlXl.jpg

qydFl8ul.jpg

And the Bore, this thing looks like a Mirror, Smooth! I played around with my Phone Camera a Bunch and i just can’t get it to take a Crystal clear shot inside a Bore, My Old Samsung Phone did AWESOME, But not this one
OKpEEwIl.jpg

Down right Purty rifle. Mine had a Maple stock on it too.

Nice I need to assemble my kit and sell off a bunch of stuff so I won’t be so distracted

Hello MML experts. I am really enjoying getting back into the sport as I was out of it for 10 or so years.
A friend of mine had an unfired CVA mountain rifle barrel in 50 caliber. He gave it to me and I would like to build it up. Problem is all I have is the barrel and I haven't been able to find a stock which is the only thing that isn't available. I have a couple of questions.
1) Can I use a T/C or other Hawken stock and just use one of the barrel lugs? The barrel has a button breech plug.
2) Does anyone know of an aftermarket modern stock that would accept this barrel?
3) Am I trying to do the impossible?
Thanks in advance for your advice!

Thank you Mikelk! I should have mentioned it in the post but I did contact Deer Creek and the only thing unavailable is the stock which is why I went down the above line of reasoning. I could wait for a used stock to pop up but in the meantime I thought I would see if something else noted above would work.

Back