CVA Optima™ V2 Pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam-arkie

Reaction score
I've been looking at the CVA Optima V2 pistol for a while. Kind of got a little more serious about getting one and got to looking online. Does CVA still make these?

Muzzleloaders.com says out of stock, which didn't surprise me the way everything gun related has been sold out lately.
But, Midway USA says they are discontinued, CVA's website doesn't have them anywhere on it or on their online catalog. Have I waited too long to buy a new one?

What are they going for on the used market. Might have a line on a SS with black furniture

I've seen them advertised as used for as much as $500.00. I would not sell mine for less than that IF I decided to sell it and that's not likely. These pistols are deer killing tools. For the life of me I have no idea why they were no longer made.

wasn't Walmart just clearing these out for ridiculously low prices?

Been seeing them locally on Armslist for $200-$250 used; more if they had a dot sight or scope on them.

Can you provide a working link for them being available on Armslist anywhere at any price ?
I looked for one on Armslist for a solid year or more and never found one and I searched again today with the same result. ARMSLIST - United States All Categories Classifieds
I have to assume you are seeing ads for the rifle models instead.

Last edited:
Nope. Optima pistols. Saw 3 within 50 miles of me in the last year on Armslist. I almost bought one of them, but decided that I did not need a muzzleloading pistol.

You just have to keep looking every few days. They will be on there maybe a week and they are gone.

Bore on them is super tight in my experience. To the point that mine has ticked me off. You're either going to use powerbelts exclusively, or .480 round ball in my experience. .490 is way too tight.

Other then that, I think they are awesome. The reliability of 209 ignition, powerful, and easy enough to clean.

I use .44 cal bullets [Barnes 225 grain and 240 grain XTP] and the green sabot or green crush rib, depending on which bullet. I've also used a ton of .451 and .452 bullets with either the black or black crush ribs too. NONE of these load hard, first shot or 15th shot.

He's right I followed his advice on the green crush rib and 240xtp. Great accuracy and loads easy.

Bore on them is super tight in my experience. To the point that mine has ticked me off. You're either going to use powerbelts exclusively, or .480 round ball in my experience. .490 is way too tight.

Other then that, I think they are awesome. The reliability of 209 ignition, powerful, and easy enough to clean.
I had the opposite e xperience my pocket blaster shot excellent 50 yd groups with Lee mold cast 490 soft lead /.012 mattress ticking or vegi card/ 50 gr OE 2F /CCI / 209 and the secret is a 1/8 inch felt over powder !! Forget the felt and forget the group ,try it you will like it (Idid) /Ed

Been seeing them locally on Armslist for $200-$250 used; more if they had a dot sight or scope on them.
I've seen them go for way more than that on GunBroker. There were a few that sold on GB in the $800-$1000 range right before Christmas. I haven't seen one for sale in the $250 range in quite a while.

Attachments

• 8820.jpeg
    8820.jpeg
    26.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Back