CVA Optima and BH209 range woes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrlnfshr1

Reaction score
I have a 2007 CVA Optima in which I used to shoot BH209 with no problem when it first came out. With the components shortages of the last few years, I have had a hard time getting the rifle dialed in as before, when I had much more time (and components) available for the range. This year I finally have been able to reacquire all of the components that worked well for me in the past. Last week I was able to get it sighted in with 110gr fresh loose 777 FFg and 300gr Barnes Expanders. Today I wanted to try BH209 again but gave up after 3 for 4 hang-fires. 100gr BH209, CCI primers, 240gr. XTP in Harvester green sabot. This same load had worked well for me in the past. I had similar hang-fire issues last year, but I assumed it had to do with the powder being 10yrs old or so. However, this year I have a couple new jugs of powder that I just opened. I was going to try changing the BP but forgot my tube of anti-seize, along with the Reminton primers that are usually in my range box. I have only ever used the OEM factory style breech plugs (non-QRBP) and had no problems thru 3-4jugs of BH when it came out. What am i missing here?

Which CCI primers are you using? Also, I realize you state that you are using the OEM breech plugs which you've used in the past with no issues, but there is a breech plug specifically made to work with BH 209. If you have had success in the past with the breech plug you tried using this time around, I would give it a very thorough cleaning and make sure the firing hole is clear. In the end, I'd recommend the appropriate breech plug for BH209.

That type of plug is for the 2010+ models, not the 2007 he has. I assume the OP is not using a bh209 breech plug. I've shot my 2010+ optima with the standard breech plug a few times on accident with the std (non bh209) plug and it's never failed to fire. It was at the range every time in the summer. Never noticed a difference at all until I cleaned the gun and noticed I put in the wrong breech plug. I now store my std plugs in a different location. I've been told my results may have been different with the std plug if it was cold out. Maybe the flash hole has eroded?

Thanks for the replies guys. UPtrapper, you are correct, I am using the standard BP because, as far as I know, CVA doesn't offer one for the original optima. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket plug available. The plug that is in there now is a replacement OEM plug. It's been replaced several times due to erosion and is clean. What baffles me is that these plugs always worked for me in the past. As for cold, today was in the mid 40s- i thought the cold issues were when it was significantly less than that. FWIW, used CCI standard primers, actually the same case as 10-12 years ago but I don't think they degrade with time.

I’ve got an older Optima Pro .45 and I’ve never had an issue shooting BH209 with “regular” CCI primers. As suggested before, throughly clean the breech plug and see if that makes a difference. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies guys. UPtrapper, you are correct, I am using the standard BP because, as far as I know, CVA doesn't offer one for the original optima. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket plug available. The plug that is in there now is a replacement OEM plug. It's been replaced several times due to erosion and is clean. What baffles me is that these plugs always worked for me in the past. As for cold, today was in the mid 40s- i thought the cold issues were when it was significantly less than that. FWIW, used CCI standard primers, actually the same case as 10-12 years ago but I don't think they degrade with time.
When I switched from pellets to loose I had several delayed ignitions using standard primers. Switched to Magnum primers — my T/C Strike has been perfect ever since.

Try SSK with their replaceable liner and $26.00 way cheaper than CVA and if it works for your older model I can say it works great in my V2 closes great ,no forcing /super clean primers(CCI)and by a spare 4 pac of liners again cheap

I'm no expert on the pre 2010 plugs, but I'm not aware of a ssk plug that will fit the op's CVA. I would agree the SSK plug works great in my 2010+ optima though.

Send plug to Hankins and let him convert it to DI. Then use large rifle primers or magnum large rifle primers.

I've ordered one of Rons plugs so I should be good. Still confused as to why it worked fine with the factory plug for the 2-3 jugs of BH I used when it first came out.

Ron does a super nice job on his plugs and you won't be dis-satisfied with the one you ordered. When I started with BH209 I caught the cool weather hang-fire stuff early enough in the fall to be able to convert my Accura's plug before deer season. All of my BH209-shooting guns are converted to vent liners and I have hunted every one of them at temps approaching zero degrees and have not seen a cold related issue with any of them. I don't have any issues with them.

Back