CVA Optima loads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
90 gr by volume blackhorn
Federal209a primer
Barnes290 tez
Use hoppes9 for cleaning

Hunting load?

Our CVAs like 110gr BH209 with a Harvester smooth back sabot and Barnes 250gr TEZ bullet, Winchester 209 primer.

Are u getting the loose powder breech plug, I would highly recommend one.

TMZ Boattail will not compare to accuracy of tez flat base.
Scorpion will shoot but performance on game will be far less effective than Barnes

I shoot a Optima Magnum.

DSCN4809.jpg

I purchased a Black Horn 209 breech plug from CVA as the original plug gave me ignition problems. I now shoot 90 grains of Black Horn 209 and just about anything I want and have very good accuracy.

3-DSCN0698_zps3a428c86.jpg

I had purchased a huge bag of "Blemished" .40 caliber 200 grain Shockwaves. Why, cheap to shoot, I had accidentally purchase a large collection of .50/40 sabots (you know, think your out and double the order), and I heard from forum members that these 200 grain shockwaves were real accurate and deer killers. So I made the leap. When I shot them for the first time at 52 yards, I was a little impressed with them. When I did media tests with them, again, very impressed with them. So I decided I will hunt with this load.

I find my Optima with 90 grains of BH shots near anything I want to shoot.

Blue tend to shoot very well but each gun may like a little different sabot.
I think tez and blue rite out of package and patience will at range to keep barrel cool you will have a great starting point.

I would try the Harvester Smooth Black sabot (for under 300gr bullets) in the Optima. The MMP HPH-24 should also give a good fit but its longer than the Harvester. Ive had great luck with that Harvester sabot in 50cal bores that are a true .500 IIRC the HPH-24 is the same sabot as the blue Barnes TEZ sabot.

Back