CVA Optima Pistols In Stock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before I got my stock adapter for my pistol, I was shooting a 240 grain bullet over 70 grains of 3f Swiss. I had to wear a glove on my gun hand. Bare hands would kinda hurt after a few shots.

Well, I made it home, more fun than an ICU unit 🥴
What a nice pistol, looks like a cutdown version of my Optima rifle.
Went to mount the scope and it won't set in the rings, why doesn't CVA make a Weaver style/Pic mount with more slots? I have a set of Weaver extension rings but since I can barely walk I'm not going out to my shop. I just ordered another set and Amaz will deliver tomorrow. Seriously, much easier than walking a distance to the shop. I'm walking better, but, baby steps.
I have a 3-4 MOA reflex I could put on but I see gooder with optics.

Well, I made it home, more fun than an ICU unit 🥴
What a nice pistol, looks like a cutdown version of my Optima rifle.
Went to mount the scope and it won't set in the rings, why doesn't CVA make a Weaver style/Pic mount with more slots? I have a set of Weaver extension rings but since I can barely walk I'm not going out to my shop. I just ordered another set and Amaz will deliver tomorrow. Seriously, much easier than walking a distance to the shop. I'm walking better, but, baby steps.
I have a 3-4 MOA reflex I could put on but I see gooder with optics.
Congratulations on getting out of the hospital. Hope the surgery went well.

What scope are you using that requires extension rings?

AR stock? Where did you pick that up from? Better question.. how'd you attach the stock?!

Im wishing i had bought a second one already. I finally got to shoot a few rounds thru mine lastweek. Love it with the AR stock.

Interesting, and cool. Since the cva optima isn’t a registered handgun or rifle why do you need a pistol brace? Couldn’t you just use a carbine stock without issue?

Interesting, and cool. Since the cva optima isn’t a registered handgun or rifle why do you need a pistol brace? Couldn’t you just use a carbine stock without issue?
The Optima V2 pistols & rifles have different grip angles, so swapping buttstock components from rifles onto a pistol is not possible. That is why the gentleman from farrowtech designed & printed up the pistol grip with buffer tube adapter for the Optima V2 pistol.

Sorry, misunderstood your question. I guess the pistol brace is to look cool, as muzzleloaders are not technically weapons to the BATF.

The AR buttstock makes more sense to me than a pistol brace from a stability point of view as regards to hunting.

Sorry, misunderstood your question. I guess the pistol brace is to look cool, as muzzleloaders are not technically weapons to the BATF.

The AR buttstock makes more sense to me than a pistol brace from a stability point of view as regards to hunting.

yeah I probably could have worded it a little more clearly. I totally get the point of adding the buffer tube, it’s a cool idea, but I don’t think you would need a “pistol brace” on the end of the tube, (as stated, not a firearm as far as atf is concerned) you could just use any Regular carbine stock which I think would be way more comfortable to fire from the shoulder.

I bought one of these. What is the proper technique for shooting these? Do you put both hands on the grip or do you put the off hand on the foregrip?

Also I bought the iron sights that screw onto the barrel. Are most folks happy with those or is a scope recommended?

I think I will try to use a PRB in it. I know the twist is fast but I think if the load is light enough it may work OK.

I bought one of these. What is the proper technique for shooting these? Do you put both hands on the grip or do you put the off hand on the foregrip?

Also I bought the iron sights that screw onto the barrel. Are most folks happy with those or is a scope recommended?

I think I will try to use a PRB in it. I know the twist is fast but I think if the load is light enough it may work OK.
Some kind of rest like shooting sticks maybe.
I had those Durasights on my pistol for a while, they work fine.
Patched round ball shoots very good out of my pistol. 60 grains of 3f Swiss powder. Triple 7 is good too. I've been using the triple 7 more lately.
You'll need to try different patch thickness. Mine seems to like the .015".

Yeah I was thinking of trying 50-60gr of 3f. I have Goex and Schuetzen. I might have to get some thicker patches. I use .010 in my .54s.

Back