CVA Optima snapped in half!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohihunter2014

Reaction score
I was hunting last night and hung my pack and gun in the tree and the hanger decided to break, sending my Optima V2 to the ground. When I climbed down it was snapped clean in half. I have dropped guns and bows before and never had this happen. I called CVA and they said they will either replace the parts or replace the firearm. I dont know how I feel about replacing the receiver because fit may not be on par.

Attachments

• 6D600C59-216D-49CE-B435-4193FBE0B8EC.jpeg
    6D600C59-216D-49CE-B435-4193FBE0B8EC.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 187
  • 2B37BA99-977A-4794-8564-588598EE5EF9.jpeg
    2B37BA99-977A-4794-8564-588598EE5EF9.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 176
  • 68D3179D-DE12-499A-9281-F233B3E660CB.jpeg
    68D3179D-DE12-499A-9281-F233B3E660CB.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 3800CA16-A91D-4586-AB20-7DD7078960E6.jpeg
    3800CA16-A91D-4586-AB20-7DD7078960E6.jpeg
    41.2 KB · Views: 168
  • 543FC71D-A924-44A4-B3FD-E52E79FF2602.jpeg
    543FC71D-A924-44A4-B3FD-E52E79FF2602.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 2EA467E3-1E3C-4297-82BA-301D78E570E2.jpeg
    2EA467E3-1E3C-4297-82BA-301D78E570E2.jpeg
    32.7 KB · Views: 157
  • 45E42BD6-8246-43A0-A98B-813E7E05EC63.jpeg
    45E42BD6-8246-43A0-A98B-813E7E05EC63.jpeg
    34.1 KB · Views: 161
I have dropped guns and bows before and never had this happen.

First off I think I'd be more careful with dropping firearms. Or bows. Have some simple respect for the tool. Given the fact that this is not a common occurrence I think I'd take anything they offered. This wasn't CVA's problem to start with.

First off I think I'd be more careful with dropping firearms. Or bows. Have some simple respect for the tool. Given the fact that this is not a common occurrence I think I'd take anything they offered. This wasn't CVA's problem to start with.

Over the 48 years of bow hunting I've dropped about everything out of my tree stand, bows( I've thrown a few too), arrows, quivers, range finders, gloves, bi nocs, you name it. To date I've yet to drop a firearm from a tree due to the fact I seldom gun hunt from a tree. Bottom line is, if you hunt from a tree, you will drop s@#t,... it happens.

If you have never fallen, tripped on something, or had your pull rope break you must not have hunted long enough. It is clearly pot metal junk that cracked in half. Ive never dropped a firearm from a tree, but had a pull rope snap and drop stuff several feet off the ground. I tripped on a fence that was knocked down while walking in when dark. No reason at all the plastic stock held up but something made from metal snapped at a seam. I do have simple respect for the tools. I carried a loaded firearm for work for close to 10yrs, hunted for almost 20. It was an accident, that couldn't have been helped, but they definitely dropped the ball with this cast crap they sold me.

Well that sucks ! I too use screw in hangers and have wondered about them myself . LOL , Fishhawk tickled me there , { Thrown a few too } , I understand sir . LOL

Over the 48 years of bow hunting I've dropped about everything out of my tree stand, bows( I've thrown a few too), arrows, quivers, range finders, gloves, bi nocs, you name it. To date I've yet to drop a firearm from a tree due to the fact I seldom gun hunt from a tree. Bottom line is, if you hunt from a tree, you will drop s@#t,... it happens.
My buddy had a high end Hoyt and cheaped out on a hanger. The hanger snapped and his bow went to the ground. Still worked perfectly and no issues. Funny how a fiberglass bow hits the ground and doesnt break but a steel gun snaps like a twig.

I own the toughest range finder on the planet myself . It thinks its Airborne qualified ! LOL Dropped that thing several times but it usually lands on my hat and a glove or two to break its fall . LOL

Yup . First time I pulled the trigger on my brand new Omega the trigger snapped of and landed in my lap , true story . They made it right but kind of puts a sour taste in your mouth .

Oh man, that sucks, you could probably throw it from the stand a 100 times and not have that happen, just a freak accident the way it landed, hope it all works out!

I have to say that I have dropped bows and quivers , never a gun but I can see it happening. My son bought me a fairly expensive range finder that fell out of my pocket down the tree then rolled into a creek, fished it out but it was toast. I fell full force onto an omega and cracked the stock at the thumb hole, tight bond glue and you would never know it. That receiver looks awfully cheap in my opinion. Is the optima expensive ? . and I also would take what they would give me, I don’t personally think they owe you a new gun

I have to say that I have dropped bows and quivers , never a gun but I can see it happening. My son bought me a fairly expensive range finder that fell out of my pocket down the tree then rolled into a creek, fished it out but it was toast. I fell full force onto an omega and cracked the stock at the thumb hole, tight bond glue and you would never know it. That receiver looks awfully cheap in my opinion. Is the optima expensive ? . and I also would take what they would give me, I don’t personally think they owe you a new gun
Its between 375-400 new for just the gun. I would be happy with a new receiver, but if the receiver are fit like the H&R I would be suspect.

Maybe they will upgrade you to a nitride. Seems i heard someone here bought a malwart black CVA and had an issue with it's barrel or something and CVA replaced the gun with a nitride model which malwart doesn't (didn't) sell. They have pretty good customer service. And they want you to buy another one from.them in the future.

Looks like they are a casting. I would bet they suspect the casting had some small voids in it that contributed to the receiver snapping like that.

I do on occasion hang my rifle on my Realtree EZ bow hanger. I’ve always wondered about this happening. BTW I take down all my gear hangers when I take down my stands at end of season.

Latest posts

Back