CVA Optima snapped in half!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's a wealth of knowledge.
We all should try to listen and learn instead of bash and trash.

Agree good post Busta. I was thinking, man is that thing dirty? I don't own one, so not super familiar with how it should be, but it definitely seemed dirty to me looking at the pics. But still... the main cause of the break is most likely because they are made from cheaper metal and it hit just right. I mean they aren't expensive high quality rifles, and that part it pretty thin regardless. Never had a hanger break, most of the ones I have are super strong. That probably wasn't a fun day!

Agree good post Busta. I was thinking, man is that thing dirty? I don't own one, so not super familiar with how it should be, but it definitely seemed dirty to me looking at the pics. But still... the main cause of the break is most likely because they are made from cheaper metal and it hit just right. I mean they aren't expensive high quality rifles, and that part it pretty thin regardless. Never had a hanger break, most of the ones I have are super strong. That probably wasn't a fun day!
Sure wasnt! I got to sit in the tree for almost 2hrs because I rode with two buddies and wasnt going to make them leave. The other part that sucked was 2 good doe, 6pt and spike all came into 50yards and I had one more tag to fill. I ended up watching them for awhile and took some video. My buddy did shoot a nice buck in the stand I usually sit though.

I was hunting last night and hung my pack and gun in the tree and the hanger decided to break, sending my Optima V2 to the ground. When I climbed down it was snapped clean in half. I have dropped guns and bows before and never had this happen. I called CVA and they said they will either replace the parts or replace the firearm. I dont know how I feel about replacing the receiver because fit may not be on par.
bad deal all around. but looking at pictures, especially the pics of firing pin end?, holy crap! when was this gun cleaned last? if ever? cva giving you a new gun should be a lucky me moment. take care of your weapons and they will take care of you

bad deal all around. but looking at pictures, especially the pics of firing pin end?, holy crap! when was this gun cleaned last? if ever? cva giving you a new gun should be a lucky me moment. take care of your weapons and they will take care of you
plus, pics of broken hanger?

Out of curiosity i stuck a magnet by my Accura receiver. Its magnetic, some. Not like the steel barrel, but definitely not aluminum either, or 'pot metal'.

Season started last Saturday and I sighted in Saturday morning and hunted the afternoon-Monday evening. I put about 10 shots through it. Gun was cleaned before hand.

You know I have to say it’s pretty sad and rude that I posted this same thing on another forum and didn’t get one negative comment about how i need to take care of my stuff, etc. if the guns got a headspace issue then CVA should have addressed that! I shouldn’t have to purchase a bunch of stuff to fix a problem that shouldn’t exist. My old optima never got that dirty and it was also steel.

You know I have to say it’s pretty sad and rude that I posted this same thing on another forum and didn’t get one negative comment about how i need to take care of my stuff, etc. if the guns got a headspace issue then CVA should have addressed that! I shouldn’t have to purchase a bunch of stuff to fix a problem that shouldn’t exist. My old optima never got that dirty and it was also steel.
Youre right. It should shoot out of the box, indefinitely, with proper maintenance. Also, I'm sorry that some are hard on you. Whatever the cause i believe CVA will make it right. I wanted to ask, any chance this was bought through walmart? CVA makes some guns just for them that are lessor versions. I ask cuz maybe they used lighter alloy for the receiver. A magnet sticks to my receiver, will it stick to yours?

........if the guns got a headspace issue then CVA should have addressed that........

Available shotgun primers have many different length. For example the STS primer are about 0.294" long. CCI, and Federal shotgun primers are longer; maybe averaging around 0.297" long. Winchester primers are longer yet; maybe averaging around 0.302" long.

If you were a manufacturer of inline muzzle loader rifles, what would you make the head space?

I cant believe that a crushable 209 primer could create enough leverage force from tight headspace to weaken the receiver even coupled with max load forces added. My vote is bad casting.

Available shotgun primers have many different length. For example the STS primer are about 0.294" long. CCI, and Federal shotgun primers are longer; maybe averaging around 0.297" long. Winchester primers are longer yet; maybe averaging around 0.302" long.

If you were a manufacturer of inline muzzle loader rifles, what would you make the head space?
I would plan for a good fit on the longest available primer. Maybe a couple thousandth loose.

..........I would plan for a good fit on the longest available primer. Maybe a couple thousandth loose.

What the maker of the TC Omega did was make the head space about 0.005" smaller than the longest primer, consistently.

Knight rifles are made with no consistent head space.

CVA rifles are/were made with a head space about 0.005 larger than the shortest primer?

Holy blowback, Batman!

You needed an o-ring, years ago. Or the shim kit for your firing pin bushing.

There seems to be more to this story. Thought I remembered something from a couple years ago. Found it. I'm pretty sure you probably had fire come through the trigger group too, after now seeing your pictures. You had a serious primer headspace issue we tried to help you address 2 years ago.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/what-the-heck-happened.31367/

Something also going on in these pictures. The inside of the receiver is so filthy with primer carbon and blowback, you couldn't of seen a crack if there was one.

Look at where your primer is sitting against your standing breech/firing pin bushing. I'm surprised the firing pin can even set off the primer, as far off center as it is. I think your frame might have been compromised a little over 2 years ago when you were fitting your BLACKHORN breech plug? Did you try slamming it shut, before you fully seated the plug initially?

View attachment 7010

Closer shot.
View attachment 7009

The purple shows the hinge pin for the latch. The blue shows the diameter of your firing pin bushing. The yellow shows the diameter and position of your primer on relation to the firing pin bushing. My Optima Pistol is centered.
View attachment 7011

You can't even hardly see the BLACKHORN stamping on your breech plug, so if there was a crack in the casting it would have been even harder to see.
View attachment 7013

Everything circled in red is suspect.
View attachment 7012

I would imagine CVA would like to see this, as it is possible there might have been a bad batch of alloy. Their Metallurgists can test that in the lab to determine whether it's that, or possibly a fluke bad casting with possible voids.

I think CVA has a responsibility to investigate this, and I have no doubt they will take care of you. They could just wash their hands of it, if you read what I highlighted in bold in the Warranty below.

Are you there original owner and did you register the warranty, or did you buy it used? Either way, I would be respectful if requesting a replacement. They didn't forget to clean it, and they didn't drop it.

"LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

CVA warrants all factory-finished firearms to be free of defects in workmanship or materials for the lifetime of the firearm. This Limited Lifetime Warranty only applies to the original consumer owner. This warranty is put into effect by the return of the authorized warranty card within 15 days of purchase and is not transferable.

Any covered CVA firearm or part thereof that is returned postage paid to the Repair Center will be repaired or replaced to our commercial standard, free of charge, and returned to the consumer postage prepaid. This warranty does not cover damage to any structures, buildings, vehicles, persons or animals, or any other damage resulting from careless handling, improper loading, rust or corrosion, neglect, improper maintenance or customer alterations.

CVA reserves the right to refuse to repair or replace any firearm or parts thereof damaged by any of the above. The warranty does not cover normal wear of any part, metal or stock finish, cost of inconvenience due to product failure, or transportation to the Repair Center."

https://cva.com/warranty/
Of you look where the receiver broke,in the first picture, it looks like the receiver was heated with a torch. I think Busta is right. There was so much blowback, the heat weakened the metal, where it broke. By the way, that Breech plug picture, is beyond dirty. That is neglect. CVA took the high road and is providing the customer service they are known for.

Of you look where the receiver broke,in the first picture, it looks like the receiver was heated with a torch. I think Busta is right. There was so much blowback, the heat weakened the metal, where it broke. By the way, that Breech plug picture, is beyond dirty. That is neglect. CVA took the high road and is providing the customer service they are known for.
So pulling a clean rifle from the safe on Saturday, shooting 10-12 rounds and leaving it dirty for 2 days so the deer don’t smell solvent or have it lose accuracy is neglect? Ok...

No way that primer heated metal to break like that.

What the maker of the TC Omega did was make the head space about 0.005" smaller than the longest primer, consistently.

Knight rifles are made with no consistent head space.

CVA rifles are/were made with a head space about 0.005 larger than the shortest primer?

well at least there is consistent inconsistency across the industry. o_O

How does Traditions do it?

Latest posts

Back