cva optima v2 pistol

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I beagle

Reaction score
I finally found an inline pistol, with the help of this forum. I saw somebody the other day mentioned muzzleloaders.com had one listed as backorder . after a few attempts they got back with me through email. they stated if I purchased on backorder that I would definately get one at the end of May or early June. my question is for those who have them. would like to put on some kind of red dot/ scope, wondered what other people had put on theirs and how they liked it. and what loads people have been using. thanks in advance for the information.

A red dot scope would probably be ok. I have the CVA Durasights on my pistol at the moment. Had a pistol scope on it but the crosshairs were just too fine for me. Hard to see in the woods.
My own best load is 70 grains of 3f Swiss powder and the Hornady PA conicals, 240 grains.

I had a simple 2x20 Nikon on mine and had no issues with target acquisition but the type of optic is really a personal preference. I don't see why a good, quality red dot wouldn't just a serviceable. There were a few different loads that I found that shot really well out of mine. First was a 240 gr, 45 caliber XTP with smooth black sabot and 80-85 gr by volume of BH209. Then there was my go to load, a 44 caliber, 225 gr, Barnes XPB paired with a Harvester crush rib sabot sitting on top of 85-90 gr of BH209. Recoil was very manageable with the Barnes load and it produced just a tick over 1600 fps through the chronograph. Performance on deer was pretty impressive.

I have a Leapers 2 X 7 on mine. Very clear optic. Have harvested several deer with it. I had two different red dot optics on it thinking that they'd be good in the woods and they spent very little time on the gun. I use the same Barnes load that Chris mentions with 63 weighed grains of BH209 [90 grains by volume]. Drops deer very effectively with relatively tame recoil.

I finally found an inline pistol, with the help of this forum. I saw somebody the other day mentioned muzzleloaders.com had one listed as backorder . after a few attempts they got back with me through email. they stated if I purchased on backorder that I would definately get one at the end of May or early June. my question is for those who have them. would like to put on some kind of red dot/ scope, wondered what other people had put on theirs and how they liked it. and what loads people have been using. thanks in advance for the information.
I tried a red dot on mine but after 2 shots it wouldn't hold zero so I put a BSA edge it has been on there for a little over 2 years now and hundreds of shots still holding zero...and I am hit 3 inch circle out to 100yd..I took him at about 60yd

Attachments

• 20201223_205650.jpg
    20201223_205650.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201226_165442.jpg
    20201226_165442.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 20
I ordered the same pistol, black stock,and stainless. thats a dandy buck! was that shot freehand or some type of rest?

I ordered the same pistol, black stock,and stainless. thats a dandy buck! was that shot freehand or some type of rest?
He came from a different direction then I expected him to so I wasn't setup i had to turn around and free hand it...I was just standing on the ground

How bad is the recoil on that rig? Something like a 44 mag?

I shoot 63 weighed grains of BH209 [90 grains by volume] and a 225 grain XPB Barnes. 44 magish. I just had to find out what a 300 grain pill with the max load of BH209 [100 by volume] was like and its about like a 454 Casul. And even with muffs the noise was abusive. Six rounds of the 300 grain experiment left my palm bruised. The Barnes load mentioned is what I hunt with and it is a deer killer

That 90 grains by volume load is pretty stout.
I use 70 grains by volume of 3f Swiss powder in mine. Even that hurts my hand if I'm not wearing gloves.

Back