CVA Optima V2 trigger issue

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not real new to the inline hunting, had a used one before buying my CVA new, had no issues last year, this year, having trigger setting issues. I have read a bunch of threads on the issues, but mine not quite the same. I haven't tried to use vice grips on the breach plug cause it was working well prior to last weekend. I fired it twice, missing both deer. I put it back on the lead sled, was shooting 4" low, sighted it back in, then the trigger refused to set when pulled back. I took the printer out & so nothing. I put some 3 in 1 oil on the trigger mechanism, started working again. Took it out for the first time since, won't lock when pulled back. Took it totally apart, as far as screws would allow & dumped in No77 Muzzle Magic Cleaner by Birchwood Casey, seems to be working correctly both with & without the printer in it, didn't try to fire it cause it's dark & in season. Crossing my fingers it works tomorrow. My biggest question is, how do I clean the trigger area without being able to tear it apart?

I'm using CX2000 type 209 printers by Cheddite, the only primers I could find.

It sounds to me like you need to close the gun a little more forcefully with those primers in it. Try this, put your primer in and close it, try to cock the trigger. Then take the primer out and try to close and cock it.

It sounds to me like you need to close the gun a little more forcefully with those primers in it. Try this, put your primer in and close it, try to cock the trigger. Then take the primer out and try to close and cock it.
Yes, I did try that, have the blood blister as a reward, lol, just glad it's not on my trigger finger! That was my first thought, & the first time it worked while I was at the range, not so much today.

Have you pulled the firing pin assembly out to clean it?
Crud build-up in there could be a contributing factor.
Yes, pulled the pin, doesn't look dirty, it's sticking my thumb after I used the solvent on everything, anything specific I should be using to clean it & lubricate it with?

Yes, pulled the pin, doesn't look dirty, it's sticking my thumb after I used the solvent on everything, anything specific I should be using to clean it & lubricate it with?
I would clean it with whatever you have on hand.
I always take a few Q-Tips and swab the bushing really good.
A drop or two of oil on the spring, then reinstall.
I know that the head space is important when tightening up the bushing. You don't want it too tight or too loose.

I had the same thing happen to my accura found out my primers were letting blowby get passed it and really fouled up the the firing pin and trigger search not letting the hammer lock back. I had to shim the firing pin bushing housing to get a crush fit of about .004 . You can order the shim kit from cva website. I don't have any fouling from blowby any more.and I shoot it alot I have probably 200 rds thru the gun

I would clean it with whatever you have on hand.
I always take a few Q-Tips and swab the bushing really good.
A drop or two of oil on the spring, then reinstall.
I know that the head space is important when tightening up the bushing. You don't want it too tight or too loose.
What kind of oil do you suggest?

I had the same thing happen to my accura found out my primers were letting blowby get passed it and really fouled up the the firing pin and trigger search not letting the hammer lock back. I had to shim the firing pin bushing housing to get a crush fit of about .004 . You can order the shim kit from cva website. I don't have any fouling from blowby any more.and I shoot it alot I have probably 200 rds thru the gun
That's a really thin shim. I have been using the same primers since I bought the gun, have fired about 30 or so thus far

Use rubbing alcohol. Soak it good ,it won't hurt the gun brush it blow it out. Use blow dryer till it all evaporated and small drops of break free

Will have to take stock in rubbing alcohol again, & get something I can do & submerge the trigger mechanism in
If your guns any where near new, you shouldn't have trigger issues. Bad batch???? I've use lapping tool grease before,just put small amount on every moving part on trigger system and spent oh ? about a half hour working the trigger then cleaned it spotless, reoiled and it was night and day. Smooth pull👍✌️

If your guns any where near new, you shouldn't have trigger issues. Bad batch???? I've use lapping tool grease before,just put small amount on every moving part on trigger system and spent oh ? about a half hour working the trigger then cleaned it spotless, reoiled and it was night and day. Smooth pull👍✌️
It worked flawlessly for about 20 shots, now it's starting to not seat when I cock the hammer. To be honest I don't recall tearing the stock off of it when I was cleaning it, so thinking trigger area might just be dirty as sin, & seeing how it's mostly a close unit I thought a little lubrication might be in order, but was told oil could help it gum up worse instead of making it better. Never thought about using rubbing alcohol to clean it.

Latest posts

Back