CVA Paramount Pro (custom killer?)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I'm not going to say a bergara barrel is a bad barrel, but a Brux, Bartlein, and a Preferred are in a different class.

Don't forget about the replacement encore barrels I sell too. I wouldn't hesitate to put them up against a paramount, and they're smokeless rated as well.

I intend to offer the pros already upgraded.

A out of the box rifle cant compete with even a tuned stock rifle ( bedded , trigger ,etc ) let alone a custom build .

Yeah, I'm not going to say a bergara barrel is a bad barrel, but a Brux, Bartlein, and a Preferred are in a different class.

Don't forget about the replacement encore barrels I sell too. I wouldn't hesitate to put them up against a paramount, and they're smokeless rated as well.

I intend to offer the pros already upgraded.
Hmm well my buddy is a smith himself so I have shot a LOT of competitions with custom rifles using a variety of barrels and Bergara has always been up there in accuracy. I have had some clean harder than other but never had one not shoot 1/2MOA or better with handloads. I cant say the same for one of my Bartlein barrels. Every Brux I have purchased has been amazing. Same with PacNor, Shilen, Hart and amongst others. people assume Bergara is an over the counter rifle but they make custom barrels for competition's over seas. Just my two cents.

I am not seeing your prices either. Even with your prices, let's say $500 dollars for action, Remage tools (I do own them already but most people wont), still need a trigger upgrade because Remington's SUCK and that is fact. Still need to do stock work which most people wont do themselves so still need to pay a gunsmith. Still need to buy a good muzzlebrake. So that price will still exceed the cost of a Paramount by several hundred dollars if not more. As far as your 800$ quote...that is for used gear. Show me 800$ for a brand new muzzleloader as you described. FYI, the Paramounts use Bergara barrels which are right up there with custom barrels. that all being said...yes custom Muzzleloaders are certainly better but this is definitely a step in the right direction for over the counter muzzleloaders as far as I am concerned.

I've got 1850 in my RUM/Bestill build. Found a RUM used for 450 sold the barrel for 150. Shopped my a$$ off for the rest of the parts. I can shoot whatever I want in it.
This next one is not a ML but another example of a custom build.
Had a .450 Bushmaster built on a 700 action. Blueprinted, bolt lapped, HS Precision stock, Jewel trigger, Lothar Walther 1-24 twist match heavy conture barrel 1800. If you shop for parts, you can save a lot of money.
This new Paramount from Arrowhead with a LRMP plug and modules will be about the same cost.

I have been blessed to shoot many expensive barrels the last 20 years, I do agree that a custom barrel in a custom rifle it's going to be more accurate than most bergara barrels,but the most accurate factory rifle that I've had maybe the last 10 years has been a $250 45-70 CVA Hunter, quarter inch rifle with every factory load shot in it and that's five different loads, I have Brux, Krieger and Wilson barrels ,, on the smokeless muzzleloaders I shoot, I'm very impressed with bergara barrels myself,, I know all of us have different ideas of an accurate barrel, I'll just State mine if my barrels and rifles won't shoot in the teens not a half inch, not a quarter inch but in the teens I will not have them, I guess that sounds egotistical doesn't it, yet every rifle I own will do that,you can get just an okay barrel from any of the high-end barrel makers it just happens sometimes,those high-end barrel makers sometimes have a bad day to sometimes their tooling gets worn out,I'm sure y'all are like me if you're going to pay three or four hundred dollars for a custom barrel you want it shooting a hole not a 1/2 inch,, I personally consider a half inch custom barrel to be a failure,if it's a factory rifle and won't shoot in the teens I'm pulling the barrel off or I'm getting rid of the gun,,, I can get over a barrel not cleaning up well, it has to put bullets in a hole, most consistent for me over the years has been Krieger

In response to Mnt monkey. I have a CVA Scout V2 that I bought used in 45-70. The fellow told me the groups he was getting with his handloads. Under 1/2 inch at 100 yards. Now I took that with a large grain of salt, I thought if that shot that well why would he ever get rid of it and at the lower price he was asking. I am not enough of a marksman to shoot that way anyways but with factory loads it is 5 for 5 with four different shooters on deer at varying ranges under 100 yards. On the bench it is indeed accurate, especially for a break action. I cannot say it is much under an inch however with factory loads.
My best custom barrel is a Brux, my worst after two times is a Krieger. Maybe the .375 caliber made a difference.

Well I've got some marginal barrels from everybody,, I don't get real upset about it I just moved to the next barrel, one of the most accurate barrels I've ever shot was a $80 Adams and Bennett 6.5 barrel when I was younger man I used to flirt with building bolt-action rifles I had a gun smith friend of mine that let me work in the shop worked on Mauser 98 and my own Remington's he taught me how to rebarrel, chamber and thread , all I could afford was Adams and Bennett barrels I had one that I put on a 98 Mauser the rifling look like you cut it with a screwdriver and a hammer,, and you could never get it clean I don't care how hard you tried,, that gun shot a hole with every factory 140 grain ammo I put in it,,my favorite barrel is the one that shoots a hole I don't care who made it or what kind of fancy 5r rifling it's got in it,I trust all the major barrel makers in this country to produce one hole barrels and sometimes to produce barrels that don't do that and that's just the way that is

Put the scope back on my 18 twist Arrowhead Howa model 1500 muzzleloader I bet none of you have seen one,just trying to get the Scope dialed back in I got it at 25 yards and went ahead and threw a Target out there at 102 yards shot a group of three 325 grain fury it's terrible isn't it?

Attachments

• IMG_20200206_173706762.jpg
    IMG_20200206_173706762.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited by a moderator:
I like them but I hate finishing one of them, you'll be sanding forever, I do like wood though

I have some persimmon and some bodark blanks in another room just waiting to be cut, I've made several mesquite and marble wood laminates that are beautiful, I sold them but I still have some pictures I'll have to post sometime

Its a pity they are so HEAVY . I can do without that........easily

Latest posts

Back