CVA Paramount Update

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 5263 I am using the 209 primers full time now. They still leak, but not even close to as bad as the variflame. I also ran into a problem with powder as I ran out of 777 and got a new bottle from a different store and different lot #. It was so inaccurate I was missing the target at 50 yards. I decided to go to the same store I originally got my powder from and found the same lot # powder I was originally using and that cured it. I will try the o ring next weekend. I wasnt trying to introduce anything new while having issues. Here is a pic of my last three shots after getting it dialed in again. 100 grains 777 by volume and a hornady SST 200 grain sabot. This is all at 100 yards.

Did you notice any change in impact when switching to the 209 primers? (lower velocity/lower impact)? Or did they seem to ignite about the same?

Did you notice any change in impact when switching to the 209 primers? (lower velocity/lower impact)? Or did they seem to ignite about the same?
No change that I can see. They are consistent. I never had a misfire and they are still just as accurate. I wish it came with the 209 plug from the factory.

Yeah I noticed that too. I re ran the numbers to verify they used 6k ft when they calculated their BC. It came out pretty spot on. The good news is my tag this year is for Queen NM which just happens to be 6k ft +/- 200 or so.

No change that I can see. They are consistent. I never had a misfire and they are still just as accurate. I wish it came with the 209 plug from the factory.
Good to know. I'll take my 209 plug next trip to the range then.

It's got a self-timing feature. Can easily be timed by the user. I won't be back to the shop until Thursday. Up in Iowa for the Midwest Muzzleloader Classic and visiting family. But it looks like everything is going to work as expected. Here's picture installed in bolt. If all goes as planned, will be up for sale on the website next Friday or Saturday.

Attachments

• installed_bolthead.jpg
    installed_bolthead.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 43
It's got a self-timing feature. Can easily be timed by the user. I won't be back to the shop until Thursday. Up in Iowa for the Midwest Muzzleloader Classic and visiting family. But it looks like everything is going to work as expected. Here's picture installed in bolt. If all goes as planned, will be up for sale on the website next Friday or Saturday.
Luke, I was looking at your improved bolt face again this morning and it appears to be smooth all the way around so obviously it doesnt tighten to the bolt with a wrench like the factory bolt face. How do you tighten the bolt face assembly to the bolt?

If you don't use a wrench it's gotta be channel locks. Or vise grips if you need it real tight.

If you don't use a wrench it's gotta be channel locks. Or vise grips if you need it real tight.
Or a hammer. LOL. I was guessing there was something under the two piece head assembly that allowed you to tighten with a socket wrench before you install and time the primer holder.

For now it's just going to be used hand tight. That's part of testing that's going to happen when I'm back from Iowa. Will add flats as needed, but the head needs to go on before the base is installed, so will be challenging to utilize flats even if there were some. Will more likely be a case of pad it with leather and use vice grips if more than hand tight is needed.

If the primer module holder is secured well to the threaded head, then is it feasible to just slide a small flat piece of metal the width of the holder channel in the holder and give it a light snug? Or would it potentially spin the holder? (Unsure how your holder was secured) As long as it is snug enough that it doesn't twist loose when backing out the bolt, it should be fine.

If the primer module holder is secured well to the threaded head, then is it feasible to just slide a small flat piece of metal the width of the holder channel in the holder and give it a light snug? Or would it potentially spin the holder? (Unsure how your holder was secured) As long as it is snug enough that it doesn't twist loose when backing out the bolt, it should be fine.

Yeah, that method had crossed my mind as well. It will probably work.

im pretty much ready to buy as soon as you put them up as long as pricing is in line with the other plug/head kits. Assuming you are going to be shipping the head space gauge "kit" with this like described earlier in the thread?

Back