CVA Paramount Update

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seeing upgrades for the paramount. ready to pull the trigger on purchasing one. would like to see more replies from owners who have actually sighted their paramounts in and what their accuracy is so far, thanx

I
seeing upgrades for the paramount. ready to pull the trigger on purchasing one. would like to see more replies from owners who have actually sighted their paramounts in and what their accuracy is so far, thanx
I was talking with Mike Deming from Sportsmanship Warehouse this wk on his YouTube page. He has the Paramount. I've been on the fence about buying one myself. He had the best Paramount video out. The only negative issues I've heard/read were - it's really heavy 10lb alone & the Variflame's leak. They don't all leak, but some surely do, & you can see it in the shooting video by CVA. Mike said he spoke with CVA ppl & the issue is not with the Variflame itself, but with the substandard springs used in the bolt head being too weak to completely seal. They sent him new/better spring ( I'm sure at no charge but he did not state that) I haven't been back in contact with Mike to see how the new spring did. I'm sure prob solved though.
If you get a Paramount & want a new perhaps better breach plug ASG made a new & improved one - LRPM for 250.00 with a 75.00 discount for MML members. Http://www.instagram.com/p/Bu5-LzCHmx1TyTWQCFSy6u1omWKQnx9_zNASQA0/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1sjw624cr9f2x

Sent from my iPad

I

I was talking with Mike Deming from Sportsmanship Warehouse this wk on his YouTube page. He has the Paramount. I've been on the fence about buying one myself. He had the best Paramount video out. The only negative issues I've heard/read were - it's really heavy 10lb alone & the Variflame's leak. They don't all leak, but some surely do, & you can see it in the shooting video by CVA. Mike said he spoke with CVA ppl & the issue is not with the Variflame itself, but with the substandard springs used in the bolt head being too weak to completely seal. They sent him new/better spring ( I'm sure at no charge but he did not state that) I haven't been back in contact with Mike to see how the new spring did. I'm sure prob solved though.
If you get a Paramount & want a new perhaps better breach plug ASG made a new & improved one - LRPM for 250.00 with a 75.00 discount for MML members. Http://www.instagram.com/p/Bu5-LzCHmx1TyTWQCFSy6u1omWKQnx9_zNASQA0/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1sjw624cr9f2x

Sent from my iPad
New stiffer spring didnt fix mine. Still leaked.

When your seal is just the flat faces of two surfaces pressing against each other, sealing becomes extremely difficult--especially when neither material has any give to it. Then add in a little carbon residue, and it become even harder. That's why you see guys using the o-ring in the break action with the veriflame. All of this is only exacerbated by the higher pressures you see with 45 sabotless.

I

Sent from my iPad
That didn't take long to go completely off the rails.

Is it just me, or does every thread about CVA end up becoming a Knight Commercial?
Thats funny right there Busta.LOL I can totally see why you said that. I've been educating myself & shopping for an affordable ( affordable to me ) for a good 3 months. I joined 2 muzzleloading forums to assist in this learning process & to meet new cool ppl that won't let out 2nd Amndt get eliminated from our constitution Nor our very way of life. I've been heavily leaning toward the Paramount ( as you & I have briefly touched on recently ) & I keep looking at the Knight 500 & Mountaineer .45. So, I've talked with Mike Deming after seeing his outstanding video on his Paramount ( I'm just blown away at the stats on it) & I called Knight ( Talked with Justin, he's a really good down to earth guy & pretty sharp as well. It was nice meeting him. He however tried to tell me that the Paramount was " apples to oranges " when compared to the Knight 500. That it is more of an apples to apples being compared to his .45 Mountaineer. He said one of his mountaineers set some long range record right out of the bow or off the shelf ( same same ) that it can extremely accurately shoot everything from 175gr to 400+gr out of it & the Paramount is specifically designed for only one particular bullet & weight. That is a known face though. But from what I saw in Mike Demings ( from Sportsmans Warehouse ) NOT >sportsmanship< auto correct effed me there lol the Paramount with the 280gr Powerbelt is putting out 2315fps & still 1000lbs KE @ 600yards.IDK if the mountaineer does that. I know it does not use as much powder & only is hitting in the 2200fps @ muzzle. The 500 can prob match that with it's 28" 1:18 twist bull barrel. But even if I could afford the 2180.00 for the 500 I would still want the breach plug changed to Hankins or Luke at ASG's new breachplugs to not have to constantly buy bags of those darn plastic 209 primer holders. NOT a fan of them or having to do that.I can't help but continuously ending up back at the Paramount as a big winner over everything else in remotely the same category. And for the price of where you hooked me up with, I just can't logically & realistically justify passing it up. I'm officially DONE! It's Paramount for the WIN. I have already ordered plenty of Powerbelt ELR's, my Shepherd 5-25x56 IR MOA FFP 34mm tube, DNZ Game Reaper one piece rings/base for it. I hope I have no probs with the Variflames, but if I do, I will be ordering ASG's LMPR upgrade for it. Kind regards

Quick report on stock swap - Got my 700 bottom metal in today so I was able to mount up the paramount in the Bell and Carlson Police/Sendero. Full rifle and vortex 3-15 Viper PST GII. With Bergara stock 11lbs 14.9oz
with the B&C it weighs in at 10lbs 10.8oz. a little over 1.1lbs lighter. That 1 lb will make a big difference when I am hiking 5 miles out in BLM land in NM next month.

New stiffer spring didnt fix mine. Still leaked.
Daggoneit that just ain't cool at all. Busta said an O ring in the variflame pocket works. Just getting the right size O ring & making sure you have the exact headspace you'll need for that. He is a very knowledgeable guy & willing to help & share his plethora of accrued knowledge with anyone who ask's. He was the first guy I had contact with in here & was a huge help to me right from the beginning. I've seen that are quite a few really smart down to earth guys in here & they all seem willing & eager to help the less experienced & knowledgeable of us. I'm really I came across this group & I joined immediately. Not goin anywhere either. Really a great bunch of men in here. I will have a Paramount too shortly & I'll share my experience & assessment with it in here. I'm 57, Got my 1st gun ( savage 410 breach loader ) at age 7. Spent a yr learning to shoot it ( as well as a 7-8 yr old is capable of ) & SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY before I got to hunt. I've never served in our military, but I've been shooting all kinds of guns in my life. I got into muzzleloaders in my mid 20's with a Thompson Hawkin .50 & round ball then maxiball. I've had 4 inlines 2 were Thompson Omega's .50. I used 3-50gr Pyrodex pellets & a Powerbelt 223gr projectile. I've made close to 300 yard shots on deer & pig no probs at all. Even blasted a groundhog at 200+ yards. This will be my 1st long range .45 muzzleloader. Im as excited as a 12 yr old with a new pony.

Quick report on stock swap - Got my 700 bottom metal in today so I was able to mount up the paramount in the Bell and Carlson Police/Sendero. Full rifle and vortex 3-15 Viper PST GII. With Bergara stock 11lbs 14.9oz
with the B&C it weighs in at 10lbs 10.8oz. a little over 1.1lbs lighter. That 1 lb will make a big difference when I am hiking 5 miles out in BLM land in NM next month.
I think the 1st thing I'm going to change on my Paramount when it gets here is the breach plug/ignition & I'm changing the stock to either a Boyds or Richards Micro ( I can't afford the other options avail ) hopefully lose a lb or two also. My scope is a Shepherd 5-25x56 34mm IRMOA weight is 37.9oz. 2Lbs 6oz so a lighter, less ugly stock is my plan.

not the place to reply, but all the paramount discussions that matter are here. just at jays this morning. put down payment on a paramount. now looking for weaver style picannty rail base mount for said gun. none in stock. on order. in case there is a delay, any options out there to find?

not the place to reply, but all the paramount discussions that matter are here. just at jays this morning. put down payment on a paramount. now looking for weaver style picannty rail base mount for said gun. none in stock. on order. in case there is a delay, any options out there to find?

Compatable with Remington 700 Short Action bases and rails. Shouldn't have any problem finding what you might like.

I think from the very short time I've been in MM that this is the place for your comment. just MHO though. This does appear to be the premiere Paramount forum on the web. Heres a chance to pay forward some of the help & info/insight thats been given to me in here. Talley has made a 2pc rings set for the Paramount/Rem.700 S/A that mounts to the receiver without the need for any rail. They are well made, light & look very clean/neat when mounted. They are less than 60.00 flat only, no moa offset avail. DNZ make THE BEST looking, cleanest ergonomic rings I've ever seen in a 1pc. Rings & base flat & 20moa ( also direct mount/no rail needed ) & a 2pc set of rings w/separate rail might be a cheaper way to go. But they are abit pricey. IMHO worth every penny if you can afford them. I have a 34mm scope so mine are more expensive than the 1" & 30mm are. I hope this info is of some guidance to you. Good luck & keep shooting. One thing I learned right from the beginning of joining MM. This IS the place to be & help is at your finger tips just a send away in here. Thats so cool ain't it.

I used the Warne 2 piece mounts. I like that the front mount has 2 slots to give me a little more variation on ring mount location on the scope. https://www.amazon.com/Warne-M902-P...1_3?keywords=scope+base&qid=1568668108&sr=8-3
They are not 20 MOA, but I have a high quality scope with a 25 MOA turret dial and I can get out over 600 yards on a single revolution with a whole second revolution to spare so I don't see that having a 20moa rail would pose any real benefit. One thing to note, the Warne rails are Weaver slots so dont try to mount a mil spec picatinny ring to it. The slots are not wide enough.

Finally got BH 209 powder. What a pleasure. Shot 7 shots in a row with no cleaning in between basically through the same hole at 50 yards. I arrived at the range at 330PM and they close at 4pm so all I could do. Less crud ring than triple 7 and I used the 209 shotgun primers. Everything worked well. Going to try the elr bullets next weekend. Currently shooting hornady SST sabots and they work really well at the 50 and 100 yard ranges. Will update next week.

Somewhere I ran across someone who was making threaded bore guides for cleaning precision bolt action MLs. (Basically just to keep solvent out of the action, BP threads, trigger etc) Anyone know who is doing that? It would be cool to have that option for the Paramount. Luke??

Somewhere I ran across someone who was making threaded bore guides for cleaning precision bolt action MLs. (Basically just to keep solvent out of the action, BP threads, trigger etc) Anyone know who is doing that? It would be cool to have that option for the Paramount. Luke??
It's been on my to do list for a while

I just ordered the Gen2 upgrade, in the description it says the modules use large magnum primers, is there an advantage to using the magnum primers over the BR2 i have been using with the variflames? I'm assuming from experience with cartridge rifles that the Magnum will produce a higher pressure charge?

Back