CVA Paramount Update

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Older lots varied weight vs volume. Lot# 31 and newer are supposed to vary much less.

You may be on to something here!! My lot number ends in 30 and now it explains why i noticed the loads were a little short of the 140V on the tube.
I am going to load up some 150V loads, chrono loads and see if this helps to reduce the amount of drop i am seeing at 200 yards. Hopefully she still cuts holes at 100 yards like the 140V load.

Thank you for your help!!

Good Shooting
1HOLEADDICT

Just shot mine for the first time today. I shot the recommended load of 140 by volume / 98grains by weight. I gotta say that it will pack shots on top of each other at 100 yards!!

No leakage issue as of yet.

Sighted in 3" high at 100 yards as the book states. This is supposed to be a 200 yard zero. I moved over to 200 yards and every shot fell 3" low of the bull. I did not chrono loads yet but will my next range trip.

Should i be seeing 6" of drop at 200 yards?

I have a feeling they are advertising off a false BC of the ELR. From all the posts im reading its true BC is .330.

Anyone else have any experience with the Paramount??

Trajectory sounds about right compared to my smokeless conversion. I am 3.5" high to hit zero at 200.

EDIT to clarify I am NOT shooting BH and NOT shooting the PB bullet either; just comparing trajectories and that 3" high would be about 3" low sounds reasonable with the setup 1HA is using.

I think you are reading the chart horizontally instead of vertically.

This is how i am interpreting the chart.
1.5" high at 100 yards
0 at 150 yards
-3.9 at 200 yards

I am going to Chrono it the next time out and also try the 150 V load.
Yep that matches mine for the most part.

If you get a Swinglock adjustable sizing die there are numerous bullets you can shoot sabotless. Its about $160 for the sizing die from Arrowhead Sporting Goods. Fury Star Tip IIs are about $75/50. The BC is about .295 for the 300gr.

GetImage

I finally got to chrono the Paramount.
280 Gr ELR
140grV Blackhorn 209

1st shot was with an older lot of powder that some say dont meter properly 2292FPS

Next 10 shots were with a new lot of powder

7 of them were between 2330-2338FPS

1-2310
1-2322
1-2348

These numbers are higher than CVA'S advertised velocities.
Consistency in velocity was pretty impressive. Not sure what caused the deviation in 3 of the shots.
Accuracy was exceptional at 100 yards.

Are these velocities on par with others who are shooting the Paramount?

I finally got to chrono the Paramount.
280 Gr ELR
140grV Blackhorn 209

1st shot was with an older lot of powder that some say dont meter properly 2292FPS

Next 10 shots were with a new lot of powder

7 of them were between 2330-2338FPS

1-2310
1-2322
1-2348

These numbers are higher than CVA'S advertised velocities.
Consistency in velocity was pretty impressive. Not sure what caused the deviation in 3 of the shots.
Accuracy was exceptional at 100 yards.

Are these velocities on par with others who are shooting the Paramount?

Assuming you measured your charges on a scale? I would say you are right in the ballpark. I got anywhere between 2345 and 2360 fps with 150Gr (Vol) charges over my magnetospeed.

I considered a Paramount but with my 45 fast twist Mountaineer, 84 grains weighed BH209 and a 225 Fury I’m getting about the same velocities. Yes it’s 55 grains lighter than the power belt but it will kill a deer just fine at 300 yards.
And yes I know I’m 7 grains heavy on the load but that’s where this gun shines.
I’m not dissing the Paramount just wondering why anyone would want more recoil& a lot faster use of expensive BH209?

I think there’s a lot of marketing hype behind this gun that may have been rushed a bit rather than taking the time to become what it could’ve been...the best ml out there.

Greg

To me the best feature of the Paramount are the Rem700 upgrade options and it already comes with a pretty nice stock for those that want that kind of thing.

The biggest negative is the shorter barrel and its heavy for a short barrel rig. A barrel upgrade at this point would still be a high dollar endeavor. Lighter stock swap is somewhat simple and more affordable too. Other options for me are more appealing but i favor reduced weight more than a 150grV load of BH209.

The Paramount...………. I think if the rifle used Luke's ignition system right from the get go, it would be a really hard to beat LONG RANGE hunting rifle.

SAID BY A SHOOTER WHO HAS NEVER LIKED CVA/BPI PRODUCTS.

More and more hunting reports are being posted and even with the OEM ignition system, there's an awful lot of large game falling to the rifle, some at very long range. Even that darn ELR bullet appears to be doing its job.

Luke/ASG is around $1250 ready to go and i think he still has a $75 off deal for forum members too.

Sure makes it easier.

It’s definitely a better system but it’s a shame that CVA didn’t do something like that with the production gun

Greg

I considered a Paramount but with my 45 fast twist Mountaineer, 84 grains weighed BH209 and a 225 Fury I’m getting about the same velocities. Yes it’s 55 grains lighter than the power belt but it will kill a deer just fine at 300 yards.
And yes I know I’m 7 grains heavy on the load but that’s where this gun shines.
I’m not dissing the Paramount just wondering why anyone would want more recoil& a lot faster use of expensive BH209?

I think there’s a lot of marketing hype behind this gun that may have been rushed a bit rather than taking the time to become what it could’ve been...the best ml out there.

Greg
I agree with the hype

It’s definitely a better system but it’s a shame that CVA didn’t do something like that with the production gun

Greg

Or Knight, Remington, T/C, and Traditions with their rifles?

I don't care for the Variflame either, but do you honestly think the Red Full Plastic Jacket is a better system? That is the only way the $2000+ Knight 500 comes. You have no choice from the Factory.

CVA offers a bare 209 primer option as well, just like all the other manufacturers except Remington. Just a matter of screwing in a $20 breech plug.

I just find it odd that all the other manufacturers always get a pass around here. One even uses an expensive, leaky, plastic, one-and-done, proprietary part, and never a peep. They have been fleecing their customers for 20+ years with that orange and red garbage. The platform is also 20+ years old, yet they haven't done anything to address the headspace issue on any of the models.

This rifle has only been out for 6 months, and they at least tried to address the headspace issue with the bolt. I don't think we will have to give them another 20+ years to improve on the design? At least they acknowledge that headspace exists and is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Let's call a spade a spade, and hope their contract with PRB is a short one. They'll learn soon enough, once more reports on the ASG Gen II come in after this first hunting season. Hopefully we won't have to wait for over 20 years for them to still not figure it out?

Last edited:
Or Knight, Remington, T/C, and Traditions with their rifles?

I don't care for the Variflame either, but do you honestly think the Red Full Plastic Jacket is a better system? That is the only way the $2000+ Knight 500 comes. You have no choice from the Factory.

CVA offers a bare 209 primer option as well, just like all the other manufacturers except Remington. Just a matter of screwing in a $20 breech plug.

I just find it odd that all the other manufacturers always get a pass around here. One even uses an expensive, leaky, plastic, one-and-done, proprietary part, and never a peep. They have been fleecing their customers for 20+ years with that orange and red garbage. The platform is also 20+ years old, yet they haven't done anything to address the headspace issue on any of the models.

This rifle has only been out for 6 months, and they at least tried to address the headspace issue with the bolt. I don't think we will have to give them another 20+ years to improve on the design? At least they acknowledge that headspace exists and is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Let's call a spade a spade, and hope their contract with PRB is a short one. They'll learn soon enough, once more reports on the ASG Gen II come in after this first hunting season. Hopefully we won't have to wait for over 20 years for them to still not figure it out?

Most likely it will end up like all the rest as a customer problem , Knight has been told and proved to they need to fix , they are all that way and we keep buying them

Ive seen very few rifles that come right of of the factory not needing something to get them to shoot like we want. Plugs for most of them can be had for under $30 and conversions going for $200+. I dropped a Lehigh plug in mine and its fine with nothing else added to the plug. Another one got a Bestill plug for $80 for a custom fit plug....I find that hard to beat just like its really hard to beat the ready to go Paramount from Luke for under $1200 with the discount.

Noone got a free pass here. Gordy took a ration on the boards for issues with the bare primer setup right after launch.

Latest posts

Back