CVA Paramount Update

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom, they work good. It is nice the rifle primer doesn't erode flash hole. However, for me they offer no real advantage; shot them over 1000 times in an Omega, but did quit using them. Shotgun primers work, unless heavy loads are used; then they leak soot through.
The rifle primer, and the adapter are a solution to the blow through. Here we are confined to iron sights, or 1X optic so our range is limited. There is no good reason for heavy loads.

One step taken to avoid blow by, is to make the primer socket deeper; making room for an o-ring under the adapter. This works good, and is perhaps necessary.

Thanks Ron. I appreciate the commentary. I think I'll stick with the CVA plugs I've converted to vent liners and use the o-ring if needed should I not be able to find Winchester 209 shot shell primers. CCI primers give some slight leakage in one of my guns but the o-ring cures that. Otherwise I have zero blowby issues. For as many primers as I drop in my haste in the field while reloading those adapters would get gosh awful pricey in a season. lol

Yes, agree, they are easy to drop into the snow whilst hunting, and each one lost is painful.

If the adapters with rifle primers, turned out to be more accurate than shotgun primers, one would certainly use them. They do work good, however they are not more reliable, nor more accurate, and do require one to clean them; prime them; deal with them.

That's awesome. It looks like the projectile pretty much stayed intact. Assuming the blue we see is the plastic tip smashed flat?
I think the blue we see in the bottom pic is the tail piece on the ELR. I have them too. I think the top pic is the nose of it. It does look darn good as far as shape & expansion & held together well. Great post

I thought the tail piece was suppose to fall off as well but I think it's the tail piece cause I recovered the tip last night cleaning the meat to freeze. Yes we have Axis deer in Hawaii. Most were through shots like in the pic but that expanded one caught a shoulder on the way out so I was able to recover. I'm encouraged the elr bullet is a winner.

I thought the tail piece was suppose to fall off as well but I think it's the tail piece cause I recovered the tip last night cleaning the meat to freeze. Yes we have Axis deer in Hawaii. Most were through shots like in the pic but that expanded one caught a shoulder on the way out so I was able to recover. I'm encouraged the elr bullet is a winner.
as far as the tails falling off the PB's, I've yet to shoot the ELR's ( just ordered my new Paramount 10 min ago I'm gonna post in the right topic in a few ) but I've shot all kinds of the other PB's down to the 223gr hollowpoint w/ballistic tip's to 348gr hp's & everything in between since they came out & ALMOST all the time the tailpiece DOES come off in flight or upon exiting the barrel ( not exactly sure which there, but nonetheless) it was a rare thing to find the tailpiece still attached to or inside the dead game it killed. I've never chronyed any of them, but I've never had a single prob nor complaint about any of them in accuracy or performance. I'm excited ( obviously ) to get some ELR's downrange very soon. kind regards, Tom P

Well guys after about 40 shots out of my paramount i am getting a lot of blow black!! Vari flames are all black with residue. I changed the spring out that CVA sent me but it has not solved the problem.
Unfortunately for me i am leaving to hunt illinois in 3 days and need a quick dependable fix.
What are your suggestions?
What should i try?

Help please..

Ty in advance

Ryan

Ive used the new spring. Same issue some leakand some don't. I'd say 4 out of the 10 don't leak. Also it seems the 1st shot never leaks, so maybe the breach plug getting dirty contributes to it.

This is the exact same thing i am going through>>>

Well guys after about 40 shots out of my paramount i am getting a lot of blow black!! Vari flames are all black with residue. I changed the spring out that CVA sent me but it has not solved the problem.
Unfortunately for me i am leaving to hunt illinois in 3 days and need a quick dependable fix.
What are your suggestions?
What should i try?

Help please..

Ty in advance

Ryan

O-Ring!

Last edited:
Well I think it's fair to say that the cat is way outta the bag on that BS. I've not heard or read a single pos experience w/that heavier spring. Notta! It's pretty cruddy IMO that CVA/BPI don't already include the heavy spring with the kit or do something to fix that issue plaguing the Paramount. I hope they don't follow in Knights foot steps in knowing full well for decades & have changed nothing with the probs with their plugs & those damn plastic things they still use in new guns. I'll try the O rings 1st . I can buy & slightly alter if need be a hell of a lot of O rings before it adds up to what a replacement BP costs. My new Paramount arrives TODAY. 852.14 to my door. Unfortunately my Shepherd scope is on back order till Dec 9-20th at one retailer & Shepherd told me it's not expected in until sometime AROUND March.
Whatta kick in the Jimmy's. Optics Planet offered a 1000.00 Vortex Viper 5-25x50 30mm IRMOA but I don't want it. The shepherd is a better scope & 34mm tube w/56mm lense. I already have a DNZ Game Reaper 1pc 34mm mount/rings. I don't wanna pay return shipping then wait to have the funds credited back to my card, then re order a new one. Hunting season is here & will be gone in a flash & I'm really chasin my tail as to what to do about my scope. Also not sure what brake I'm gonna put on it, either a AGS out the sides brake or a Hankins or get the the MZ Rex Brake with the whole kit needed for 235.00. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for your posts & updates. Kind regards & keep shooting. Tom P
BUT, BUT, BUT...…………. BPI says the heavier spring completely fixes any leaks ;)[/QUOTE

Well I think it's fair to say that the cat is way outta the bag on that BS. I've not heard or read a single pos experience w/that heavier spring. Notta! It's pretty cruddy IMO that CVA/BPI don't already include the heavy spring with the kit or do something to fix that issue plaguing the Paramount. I hope they don't follow in Knights foot steps in knowing full well for decades & have changed nothing with the probs with their plugs & those damn plastic things they still use in new guns. I'll try the O rings 1st . I can buy & slightly alter if need be a hell of a lot of O rings before it adds up to what a replacement BP costs. My new Paramount arrives TODAY. 852.14 to my door. Unfortunately my Shepherd scope is on back order till Dec 9-20th at one retailer & Shepherd told me it's not expected in until sometime AROUND March.
Whatta kick in the Jimmy's. Optics Planet offered a 1000.00 Vortex Viper 5-25x50 30mm IRMOA but I don't want it. The shepherd is a better scope & 34mm tube w/56mm lense. I already have a DNZ Game Reaper 1pc 34mm mount/rings. I don't wanna pay return shipping then wait to have the funds credited back to my card, then re order a new one. Hunting season is here & will be gone in a flash & I'm really chasin my tail as to what to do about my scope. Also not sure what brake I'm gonna put on it, either a AGS out the sides brake or a Hankins or get the the MZ Rex Brake with the whole kit needed for 235.00. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for your posts & updates. Kind regards & keep shooting. Tom P

Unfortunately BPI is still turning a blind eye to the leaking problems, claiming that the heavier spring FIXES all the issues. Just ask Dudley McGarity, manager at BPI Outdoors.
Dudley is so adamant that it completely FIXES ALL LEAKS, he'll argue or delete people or posts from the CVA Paramount page. Mention a permanent fix with an Gen2 breech plug, and you're trolling and/or banned. BPI isn't going to admit they made a mistake, nor concede that even with the stiffer springs people still have leaks. They have a great rifle, just admit it needs tweeking and correct ALL the leaks once and for all.
Fortunately, other sites for the Paramount are showing up. They are not places where a member gets banned just because his problem wasn't corrected.

As for a brake...……. I'm not taking a single thing away from the quality of all the builders but...…… you'll never regret one of the LR Customs brakes. Levi and put a brake on a pencil that works!

Tell me more please.

Do i have to relieve the hole in the plug?

You said a "quick", dependable fix, because you had a hunt in 3 days. I don't have a Paramount, but if the bolt head is headspaced by a compressible spring, it may be possible to get a thin o-ring that lets you put a primer into battery without further modification. I don't know if the spring only compresses so far then hits a solid wall, or compresses beyond any useful tolerance? You may have to go to a shorter Remington STS primer with a wide radius on the nose, or one of the much shorter European primers?

Personally, if you already have a load worked up, I would hunt with it as is for this hunt, then find a more blowback free alternative in the off season.

The rifle works as designed, and it's crunch time for your hunt. You don't want to open a can of worms with only a day or two to figure it out. We can discuss this further after your hunt, or this winter.

Good luck on your hunt!

Latest posts

Back