CVA Paramount Update

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swapping out the tactical bolt knob to the round Bergara knob. I'll post pics when finished

Attachments

• 20200106_090702.jpg
    20200106_090702.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 13
New here. This post is an awesome source of information. I bought my paramount before they went on sale and right before a deer hunting trip. Shot it 7 times had to no fires but the primer was dimpled. Learned it kicked like a mule and wasn’t fun at all to shoot.

I pretty quickly found the MZ-Rex brake and ordered one and sent my rifle to him for threading. Now waiting on the arrowhead gen2 system to convert the rifle.

I’d already made both those decisions prior to finding this post but it sure did help me feel better about it.

When I get it all done I’ll gladly share my results.

I got a paramount too ,I weight 150 lbs, me and those Magnum charges are just not happening, I shoot alot of heavy recoil rifles that gun with the Magnum charge knocks the you-know-what out of you, that rifle has spent the deer season in the closet, it sure looks cool though and it'll shoot a hole,,I hope they offer the gun with the more traditional open grip stock like the Remington ultimate,now that deer season is over I'll drag that thing out and shoot it some more but it's only going to be with a hundred or a hundred and ten grains of blackhorn,,, I'm just going to sneek this in I would sure love to see a bolt action rifle made in an ultra-light manner,, with the hankins or in Arrowhead system dedicated to a hundred grains of blackhorn I want that rifle to weigh 7.5 lb with a scope ready to hunt,I wanted to handle and weigh as much as a CVA Mr Acura and I want an open grip straight comb, 50 or 45 Cal I don't even care,, fast twist, I'll buy two or three no one's making the gun I want,,, and yes I'm going to get a muzzle brake for the Paramount,,,sometimes I wonder if gun designers actually have people that shoot their rifles before they start producing them

My paramount kicks like a girl compared to my old Optima at max charge. I have had some 20 round sessions with the paramount wearing a t-shirt with no extra padding and really didn't feel anything the next day, and I have stripped over 1lb of weight off of the paramount when I changed the stock so its even lighter than normal. Go shoot a 6 lb Optima with a 300 gr projectile over a 120G vol charge. 1. you will want to quit after the first shot. 2. you will be crying by the 5th shot 3. You will feel it for days afterward. I would say a 7 lb rifle with a 100gr vol charge would probably be similar in recoil to the Paramount.

Last edited:
I don't mind the recoil so much when I'm hunting, I'm sure like most hunters I don't even notice it,that 7 pound rifle I was referring to I'm looking for to be my day in day out hunting rifle ,sometimes I'll hunt all day long or for at least four to six hours I'll set for an hour and a half two hours get up maybe walk a half a mile and set another couple hours sometimes I hunt in a box stand and sometimes I'm up in a tree sometimes I'm in the bushes, the CVA Accura Mr has become the best handling muzzleloader I have,, again I would love to have a bolt gun about the same weight,, now sitting down on the bench I agree ,300 grain bullet in a optima with 120 grain charge that's no fun,,, I'll stick with the 250gr star tip and 100 grains or less,, and keep looking for that perfect rifle.

My paramount kicks like a girl compared to my old Optima at max charge. I have had some 20 round sessions with the paramount wearing a t-shirt with no extra padding and really didn't feel anything the next day, and I have stripped over 1lb of weight off of the paramount when I changed the stock so its even lighter than normal. Go shoot a 6 lb Optima with a 300 gr projectile over a 120G wt charge. 1. you will want to quit after the first shot. 2. you will be crying by the 5th shot 3. You will feel it for days afterward. I would say a 7 lb rifle with a 100gr wt charge would probably be similar in recoil to the Paramount.

I hope you meant 120 grains and 100 grains by VOLUME, not WEIGHT?

I assume you are addressing Blackhorn 209 powder?

Those would be gross overloads in an Optima, as well as other rifles, and the former also in the Paramount as well.

We just need to be careful what we post, whether it be Volume or Weight.

I hope you meant 120 grains and 100 grains by VOLUME, not WEIGHT?

I assume you are addressing Blackhorn 209 powder?

Those would be gross overloads in an Optima, as well as other rifles, and the former also in the Paramount as well.

We just need to be careful what we post, whether it be Volume or Weight.
Oh gees. Yes I meant vol not wt. I was careful to make sure I noted which one and then completely botched it. And yes 209. Good catch Busta.

My paramount kicks like a girl compared to my old Optima at max charge. I have had some 20 round sessions with the paramount wearing a t-shirt with no extra padding and really didn't feel anything the next day, and I have stripped over 1lb of weight off of the paramount when I changed the stock so its even lighter than normal. Go shoot a 6 lb Optima with a 300 gr projectile over a 120G vol charge. 1. you will want to quit after the first shot. 2. you will be crying by the 5th shot 3. You will feel it for days afterward. I would say a 7 lb rifle with a 100gr vol charge would probably be similar in recoil to the Paramount.
Edited my first post to correct wt/vol.

Here are some pics of the bolt with the small knob installed. It is much shorter and better to carry.

Attachments

• 2020-01-15 18.49.15.jpg
    2020-01-15 18.49.15.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 23
Here are some pics of the bolt with the small knob installed. It is much shorter and better to carry.

Was this a simple unscrew the tactical knob, and thread on the round knob? Or did they have some sort of thread locker on there?

I got a paramount too ,I weight 150 lbs, me and those Magnum charges are just not happening, I shoot alot of heavy recoil rifles that gun with the Magnum charge knocks the you-know-what out of you, that rifle has spent the deer season in the closet, it sure looks cool though and it'll shoot a hole,,I hope they offer the gun with the more traditional open grip stock like the Remington ultimate,now that deer season is over I'll drag that thing out and shoot it some more but it's only going to be with a hundred or a hundred and ten grains of blackhorn,,, I'm just going to sneek this in I would sure love to see a bolt action rifle made in an ultra-light manner,, with the hankins or in Arrowhead system dedicated to a hundred grains of blackhorn I want that rifle to weigh 7.5 lb with a scope ready to hunt,I wanted to handle and weigh as much as a CVA Mr Acura and I want an open grip straight comb, 50 or 45 Cal I don't even care,, fast twist, I'll buy two or three no one's making the gun I want,,, and yes I'm going to get a muzzle brake for the Paramount,,,sometimes I wonder if gun designers actually have people that shoot their rifles before they start producing them

Don't loose hope! All I can say is I know a gun designer, and he might have thought about this.

Good morning to everyone,, I just wanted to say this I think the Paramount is a great rifle,I've had two Remington ultimate muzzleloaders, i ended up pulling the barrels off them and building rimage smokeless guns out of them,, which I sure don't regret,the Paramount that I have is clean shooting there's absolutely zero leakage in the primers,, and is very accurate the most accurate factory muzzleloader I've had so far,,I've become a big fan of CVA I guess with all the issues 10 years ago not many people would have said that,, I had a CVA Hunter, there cheapest rifle in 45 70, 2 years ago , it shot half inch or less with every factory ammo .,,if I had friends coming over to shoot it was the first rifle I let them shoot just so I could back off and watch,, yes I have a mean streak

Good morning to everyone,, I just wanted to say this I think the Paramount is a great rifle,I've had two Remington ultimate muzzleloaders, i ended up pulling the barrels off them and building rimage smokeless guns out of them,, which I sure don't regret,the Paramount that I have is clean shooting there's absolutely zero leakage in the primers,, and is very accurate the most accurate factory muzzleloader I've had so far,,I've become a big fan of CVA I guess with all the issues 10 years ago not many people would have said that,, I had a CVA Hunter, there cheapest rifle in 45 70, 2 years ago , it shot half inch or less with every factory ammo .,,if I had friends coming over to shoot it was the first rifle I let them shoot just so I could back off and watch,, yes I have a mean streak
I've heard that those Hunters make great sml conversions, too.

I wish I hadn't gotten rid of it and it had a conversion done,,that other little single shot CVA the breakdown gun ,forgive me I forget the name of it, I had one of those in 450 Bushmaster it just rattled and it was a loose I just didn't like it, the hunter is the gun to have made into a smokeless I think,but again hypothetically that Taper and length of barrel for me would be perfect on a ultralight muzzleloader and again I'm not so much into the ultralight skeletonizing of things I just want something that's easy for me to carry and hunt with all day long not go sit in the stand for an hour with a 15 pound rifle,, now I'm not knocking that , there are those times when I go sit in the stand with my heavy rifle, but I have a lot of days when I hunt all day long or I'm going to take a break at lunch the heavy gun just doesn't cut it,,

Was this a simple unscrew the tactical knob, and thread on the round knob? Or did they have some sort of thread locker on there?
it had thread locker so I am guessing it took some heat to get it off. I needed Luke to make a tweak to my bolt so I asked him to remove it while he had it in his shop.

Back