CVA Paramount Update

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I hadn't gotten rid of it and it had a conversion done,,that other little single shot CVA the breakdown gun ,forgive me I forget the name of it, I had one of those in 450 Bushmaster it just rattled and it was a loose I just didn't like it, the hunter is the gun to have made into a smokeless I think,but again hypothetically that Taper and length of barrel for me would be perfect on a ultralight muzzleloader and again I'm not so much into the ultralight skeletonizing of things I just want something that's easy for me to carry and hunt with all day long not go sit in the stand for an hour with a 15 pound rifle,, now I'm not knocking that , there are those times when I go sit in the stand with my heavy rifle, but I have a lot of days when I hunt all day long or I'm going to take a break at lunch the heavy gun just doesn't cut it,,

I've got one of those CVA Scouts chambered in.450 Bushmaster, and one in .350 Legend. Is that the rifle you are talking about?

Sounds like you needed to tweak the Quick Take Down forend. They are adjustable for standoff and lockup. Real simple to adjust. This is my .350 that needed a little tweaking.

Forend Quick Take Down lever on bottom of forend.
IMG_20191224_122506198~2.jpg

Adjustment Screws for standoff and lockup.
IMG_20191224_122856250~2.jpg

Stainless steel pins in forend mechanism are what mate up with the adjustment screws.
IMG_20191224_122732667~2.jpg

This shows where the forend locks itself onto the other side of the hinge pin.
IMG_20191224_122701609~2.jpg

Shown with forend attached to barrel without receiver and hinge pin.
IMG_20191224_123101556.jpg

If all else fails, read the instructions.
IMG_20191224_133425833.jpg

My .450 shoots one ragged hole groups all day long.

First 100 yard group with brake.
20170902_173102-1.jpg

First 100 yard group without brake, using braked zero.
20170902_185701.jpeg

2017 pre-season zero check.
20171111_203207.jpeg

2018 pre-season zero check.
20181112_175258.jpeg

The CVA Scout .45-70's have a 1:20 twist, can be threaded for a few different breech plugs, and can even shoot them exotic powders.

The CVA Hunter was discontinued for 2020. They were upgraded to the blued Scout with the breeching lever built into the rear of the trigger guard like the Stainless Steel Scout TD. They still offer the blued 25" barrel in the .45-70's. The Stainless Steel Scout TD .45-70 has a 23-3/16" barrel with brake removed.

Last edited:
I had the blued 25 inch barrel 45 70 , I sold it it was amazing how accurate it was absolutely incredible, but brutal on the bench, only shot 300 grain and 325 I didn't go up to those 400gr-plus loads it would have made a great smokeless muzzleloader, I might buy another one if I get brave I think I've still got a busted shoulder or nerve damage from that one

My scout 450 Bushmaster did not shoot as well as yours ,it's shot good but not that good ,but my Hunter 45 70 shot like that, great rifle for the money

Mind if I ask how your 350 shoots? I suspect it's not in the same category as that 450

Mind if I ask how your 350 shoots? I suspect it's not in the same category as that 450

It only averaged 1.5 MOA for the first and only range session so far with factory ammo. I have tweaked my forend since, and have not shot it since. Still looking for the 3 different Federal 180 grain loads, and the the Hornady 165 FTX. Not in a big hurry to shoot it again, until I can pick up them loads.

Here is a half azzed thread that I posted on it.

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/cva-scout-td-350-legend.34837/

I'm expecting some sub MOA groups now that I adjusted the forend, and the 4 other loads, when I find them. I'm sure the Hornady 170 grain and Winchester 150 grain will also shoot MOA, as they were just a hair over. I'll update that thread after the next range session, but it might be a while before I find all the other loadings.

Got to shoot it today with the LRMP gen 2 and MZ-Rex brake. It’s a night and day difference. I love it. The gun is actually enjoyable to shoot now and I can’t wait for a real range day. When it warms up

Those brakes Levi makes are just outstanding and WORK. You'll love that Gen2 system Luke designed. Quite evident you like those already :)

what is strange is you can't find any pictures or video's of loading one with the brake installed.

what is strange is you can't find any pictures or video's of loading one with the brake installed.

Jason did one at the SHOT. Not very pretty. Just a powder funnel, not bullet.

They want $29 for that funnel. Hankins just started selling some for $25....Might be worth looking into.
https://hanksprecisiongunparts.com/p/load-through-funnels
These funnels are machined on CNC equipment. The outside diameter is .498 and the inside diameter is .452. These funnels are for use with the 45 caliber bullets that have been sized to fit in a .450-458 barrel. The bullets must be sized smaller than .452 or they will not pass through the stem.

Back