CVA Paramount Update

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And they got a new fancy HTR in 40cal now too right? Plus Bergara has a shooting team? :think:
Its not that they don't know about the shoots, as I publish them there as soon as they come out. Their issue shooting at the NMLRA grounds was because "Our rifles shoot the best with a full charge." The rules were changed so that they could shoot with their best charges.
IMO it would really benefit them if they just showed up.

I for one would really like to see a 40cal HTR shoot against other rifles. Its not a crazy expensive bench rifle and looks ok on paper although im not crazy about the twist they chose. CVA claimed available in April and we still are not seeing them in the hands of actual buyers/owners or even "in house" shooting teams at events.

Didnt NMLRA change the BH209 rules to allow rifle manufactures max load to be used? So in a Paramount they can now use them super duper loads and not be limited to the max Western publishes?
yes, but during Nationals no breaks on Muzzle. The Match shot over weekend you can use break and charge by manufacture

I for one would really like to see a 40cal HTR shoot against other rifles. Its not a crazy expensive bench rifle and looks ok on paper although im not crazy about the twist they chose. CVA claimed available in April and we still are not seeing them in the hands of actual buyers/owners or even "in house" shooting teams at events.

Toby Bridges has one, I pulled in his Driveway a couple weeks ago, Nobody home, Left him a note on his Door. I was hoping to see, and handle the New .40 Cal HTR

http://www.namlhunt.com/cva-paramount-40.html

Last edited:
Its a seriously cool rifle. Just need to see if it can shoot other heavier and CHEAPER bullets well. Just 84gr by weight of BH209 in a 40cal makes some great speed. Doug posted some speeds he got with bullets from 225gr to i think 300gr and it was really cool the fps gain you got. JBM says a 1-20 will shoot these new Fury 240s no problem at 2300fps. Imagine 2500fps and a .36 BC.

WHERE"S THE BEEF?????

Howdy, new member here.

I joined after reading all the great info about the paramount on here. I’ve been scouring the web for insights on this rifle since I preordered the paramount htr .45 back in February from Muzzle-loaders.com. I am very anxiously awaiting its arrival, hopefully it will be shipping in the next few weeks! I will post some pics and a review when I get it.

Side note: encore, thanks for the heads up on the blackhorn at Natchez, that was the last piece of the puzzle I needed and I secured enough to do lots of testing this summer

Question for the guys that own paramounts or other “super magnum” muzzleloaders already: what scope rings are you running? I am concerned that I will run into scope slipping issues with standard ring/mount set ups using full power loads. Did anyone run into issues? Scope is 19 or 20oz for reference.

I got TPS XTR rings for my fast twist 45. Double recoil lugs and machined from 7075 billet. They ONLY fit true picatinny though. Seekins are also highly recommended by several guys shooting da big boomers. The 1" Seekins fit Weaver or Picatinny. I think Seekins has 1 30mm that fits Weaver also but most are picatinny rings. NightForce and Loopie Mark 4s are also popular.

I've got Leupold bases and rings holding my Burris Fullfield on my Paramount. I've used 'em for decades on several rifles and never heard of slippage.
Are you talking the dovetail style rings or mk4s?
I’m from PA so I was considering going with EGW rings and their HD steel 20 moa pic base but they don’t seem to be highly regarded across the interwebs

I would not use standard Leupold bases and rings. Heavy recoil will tear them up.

Now the Mark 4 20moa base and Mark 4 rings are a different story. They are the strongest Leupold offers.

Standard bases and heavy recoil............

IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0267.JPG

Darktimber: I've always used the standard rings and bases.
I've never used MK4 aluminum rings or bases.

I find these photos of Encore's to be amazing. I've never seen or heard of such damage. I've always know Leupold to be the highest quality. It sure would seem to me that something had to be assembled/mounted incorrectly, but I don't know how to mount them incorrectly. I suppose someone could leave them loose and not tighten the threads or not turn the dovetail in to a correct 90 degrees, but, well that's just plain the wrong way to do it. What moved to create such friction and wear? It had to be either the ring or the base, or both. What makes a dovetail ring move if it's attached properly to both scope and base? The only thing I can think of would be improper fit. I've never seen improper fit on any I've owned. All have been very tight and I've always used a 1 inch dowel (broomhandle) to turn them; they're way to snug to turn by hand. I suppose if a base was mounted loosely it could move. With the wear shown, wouldn't the zero change as the wear progresses? With a loose base, how you the rifle/scope ever hold a zero from one day to the next. Yet the damage in the photos is irrefutable. Did the post on the front ring bend under the force of recoil? How many shots would that take? Can you explain what happened? I'm missing something. (Please don't say 2 screws or a bunch of marbles).

Howdy, new member here.

I joined after reading all the great info about the paramount on here. I’ve been scouring the web for insights on this rifle since I preordered the paramount htr .45 back in February from Muzzle-loaders.com. I am very anxiously awaiting its arrival, hopefully it will be shipping in the next few weeks! I will post some pics and a review when I get it.

Side note: encore, thanks for the heads up on the blackhorn at Natchez, that was the last piece of the puzzle I needed and I secured enough to do lots of testing this summer
Welcome & congrats on your Paramount

Question for the guys that own paramounts or other “super magnum” muzzleloaders already: what scope rings are you running? I am concerned that I will run into scope slipping issues with standard ring/mount set ups using full power loads. Did anyone run into issues? Scope is 19 or 20oz for reference.
Zero issues. I used DNZ Game Reaper 1 piece 30mm. I like it a lot. I put a big scope on mine - Vortex Viper PST gen2 5-25x50 30mm IRMOA No probs at all in 1.5yrs

Thank you, it’s cool to see a 46 page thread [mostly]about the paramount.

On the subject of the rings and mount, I ordered the leupold prw2 steel rings and mk4 steel one piece base.
lol yes its ( mostly ) about our Paramounts & seeing 46 pages makes me smile too. I came in this group not long after this thread was created. I'm unfamiliar with your set up, but I hope it serves you well & you enjoy your gun

Darktimber: I've always used the standard rings and bases.
I've never used MK4 aluminum rings or bases.

I find these photos of Encore's to be amazing. I've never seen or heard of such damage. I've always know Leupold to be the highest quality. It sure would seem to me that something had to be assembled/mounted incorrectly, but I don't know how to mount them incorrectly. I suppose someone could leave them loose and not tighten the threads or not turn the dovetail in to a correct 90 degrees, but, well that's just plain the wrong way to do it. What moved to create such friction and wear? It had to be either the ring or the base, or both. What makes a dovetail ring move if it's attached properly to both scope and base? The only thing I can think of would be improper fit. I've never seen improper fit on any I've owned. All have been very tight and I've always used a 1 inch dowel (broomhandle) to turn them; they're way to snug to turn by hand. I suppose if a base was mounted loosely it could move. With the wear shown, wouldn't the zero change as the wear progresses? With a loose base, how you the rifle/scope ever hold a zero from one day to the next. Yet the damage in the photos is irrefutable. Did the post on the front ring bend under the force of recoil? How many shots would that take? Can you explain what happened? I'm missing something. (Please don't say 2 screws or a bunch of marbles).

:) I'm pretty sure I know how to properly secure mounts and rings ;) I've been at this a long time. I use the Wheeler mounting kit for all scope mounts and I can assure you everything is mounted correctly and torqued exact to specifications. Those bases had the standard 30mm rings and with a Leupold VX6 scope. Heavy recoil from my BP Xpress did that damage. Three T7M pellets and a 300gr bullets. The QC folks at Leupold and I became good friends.............. LOL When I contacted Leupold, they immediately sent me out an overnight replacement and asked that I send these in, which I did.

Instead of remounting those bases and rings, I bought the Leupold Mark 4 20moa Pic base and the Mark 4 STEEL rings. Leupold states that these are the strongest that they manufacturer. To date, they have not moved. They were removed from the action when the rifle was customized, then the base was bedded to the action and secured with 8-40 screws. The Mark 4 STEEL rings have worked 100% correctly. I'm using a 32oz Nightforce NXS scope and it remains rock solid with no change in POI.

As for the number of rounds sent for that to happen, I'd have no clue. What I can say is that it was less than a year of shooting by the date of the photo. I sometimes have a tendency to shoot a lot :) and yes, it screwed up accuracy which is how I found out what went wrong. I'm not the first that has had this issue with these mounts and rings on either a UF or RUM.

mmm I have used these mounts on a 416 taylor and a 375 RUM with no issues, 1 inch scopes and rings. What scope are you mounting? Maybe Leupold cheapened up the steel they use, which would not surprise me.

When recoil tries to move a 32oz scope vs a 19oz scope, funny things happen. Steel on steel picatinny cant be beat for strength. 7075 billet on 7075 billet is also really tough and more than adequate for most appications. But if on off on off is the norm for your application....Steel is king.

Pretty sure though ive seen Bestill recommend Seekins and those are 7075 billet. He shoots/builds plenty of the big boomers with heavy scopes. I would like to see the rifle that can trash my TPS XRTs on a Murphy base.
125340.jpg

Back