CVA Paramount Update

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was very excited about the new HTR in 45 and got one last week. Turns out it's not tapped for sights and CVA won't recommend anything as tapping the barell will violate the warranty. What options should I explore for open sights? I would like to have a setup without glass - welcome to PNW!

I finally got mine and not a minute too soon. Lapped the rings and mounted the scope tonight. Took a personal day to go shoot Thursday. Meetings all day tomorrow😤.

First impression is good, trigger is decent, light but with a bit of creep. may get replaced with a triggertech. The anarchy radial brake mounted up smoothly, barrel is floated and centered in the channel. The amount of accessories it came with was also a pleasant surprise.
My experience with muzzle-loaders.com however definitely left something to be desired. I won’t be patronizing them for future endeavors. I ended up getting this one from reeds sporting goods and got it shipped 2 day and it was still $100 cheaper.

I won’t turn this into a rant about them though I’m just happy to have my gun with enough time to get dialed in before my hunt.

Attachments

• C2953A4A-BB4F-4394-9E6B-59C6A779D2BF.jpeg
    C2953A4A-BB4F-4394-9E6B-59C6A779D2BF.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 1B90FCA5-A182-416A-B8F2-53B1663F6461.jpeg
    1B90FCA5-A182-416A-B8F2-53B1663F6461.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 35
9D0A7D41-15F8-4801-8D1D-D3D86C8897AC.jpeg9F5A282E-5E6D-490D-936D-E494359B223B.jpeg5DC36557-5B6F-4D72-BAAA-7643B30B8D27.jpeg
539AD477-63F1-4999-84D6-EEF9A03B0928.jpeg
I’m shooting the paramount and loving it. I’m shooting 105 grains by weight of BH209. I did get the arrowhead breech system installed and had Luke install a brake for me as well. I shot my coues last year at 410 yards, my bull at 356 yards, and my buddy shot his mule deer with my gun this year at 223 yards. All one shot kills with the powerbelt ELR.

Not if you had to send it back to China you wouldn't...but if you'd have bought a Knight, they're made right here in the USA...and before you think I'm bashing you, know that I own 2 CVA's...an Accura V2 and a Paramount...but they are the last CVA's I'll buy...from here on out it's Knight on not at all.
This is not completely true. They are assembled in the USA and some parts are made here but obviously quite a few parts are made overseas causing delays on Knights orders also.

This is not completely true. They are assembled in the USA and some parts are made here but obviously quite a few parts are made overseas causing delays on Knights orders also.
What parts are they shipping in from other countries?...Im not aware of any.
Timney makes the triggers in the USA
B&C makes some of the stocks in the USA. (Not sure who makes the wood stocks.)
Green Mountain Barrel makes the barreled actions in the USA
Williams makes the sights in the USA
Lehigh is/was making the breech plugs and bolt bodies in the USA. (Not sure who makes the bolt internals.)
Easton makes the ram rods in the USA.

I was very excited about the new HTR in 45 and got one last week. Turns out it's not tapped for sights and CVA won't recommend anything as tapping the barrel will violate the warranty. What options should I explore for open sights? I would like to have a setup without glass - welcome to PNW!
You can search for a clamp-on front sight and probably use the scope base holes for the rear sight. Might take some doing to chase it all down.
Or find a smith that would silver solder a front sight on, but THAT may void your warranty too.

The raw materials for some Knight parts are possibly made overseas - but the parts built from those materials are made here.

Iron, steel, copper, tin ect are quite often imported and then refined into stuff here. Our federal regulations have made it quite expensive or impossible to produce many raw materials here. Do you think Leupold makes lenses...guess again. How about Nightforce?....nope at least 2 lines are assembled here from imported parts.

While many others assemble with imported parts, Knight makes a huge effort to use only parts Made in the USA. Not just Assembled in the USA.

Ohk , Need some information…. Meat and potatoes please. Don’t need to much of the technical info.

What’s the deal if I want a Paramount?

Is the .50 ok to get, not over sized bore?
Is the .45 ok to get, yet over sized bore?
Is the .40 ok to get, yet over sized bore?

I cast and powder coat, size and reload. I’m knowledgeable enough about details……

Yet I do not want to ONLY use the Power belts! They seem very expensive- I’d rather give the money to Dennis at Fury bullets- which I’ve read are excellent built billets anyway.

From what I’ve read the power belts are eveexpensive and don’t have to best reviews

I have 2 good Leupolds I can use, a 6.5-20 and a 3.5-10. Both are custom mil dot drop comp reticles…with drop set for 375 Weatherby and 300 Win mag… so I’m sure I can make either scope work well enough after I learn drop of my most accurate load thats developed.

So clue me in here gents, I’m looking for a 300yard whitetail rifle, that I may use foff rv other hunting. Nothing particular game wise and not worried about state laws as .40 is allowed in my state.

Whats the best of the best of the 3 cals with least problems? If the .40 worth the trouble?

Oh and what’s with the bore issues and CVA, does the .50 have that also?

What caliber? Power Belt Elr seems to be more that capable!
View attachment 16857View attachment 16858View attachment 16859
View attachment 16860
I’m shooting the paramount and loving it. I’m shooting 105 grains by weight of BH209. I did get the arrowhead breech system installed and had Luke install a brake for me as well. I shot my coues last year at 410 yards, my bull at 356 yards, and my buddy shot his mule deer with my gun this year at 223 yards. All one shot kills with the powerbelt ELR.

Ohk , Need some information…. Meat and potatoes please. Don’t need to much of the technical info.

What’s the deal if I want a Paramount?

Is the .50 ok to get, not over sized bore?
Is the .45 ok to get, yet over sized bore?
Is the .40 ok to get, yet over sized bore?

I cast and powder coat, size and reload. I’m knowledgeable enough about details……

Yet I do not want to ONLY use the Power belts! They seem very expensive- I’d rather give the money to Dennis at Fury bullets- which I’ve read are excellent built billets anyway.

From what I’ve read the power belts are eveexpensive and don’t have to best reviews

I have 2 good Leupolds I can use, a 6.5-20 and a 3.5-10. Both are custom mil dot drop comp reticles…with drop set for 375 Weatherby and 300 Win mag… so I’m sure I can make either scope work well enough after I learn drop of my most accurate load thats developed.

So clue me in here gents, I’m looking for a 300yard whitetail rifle, that I may use foff rv other hunting. Nothing particular game wise and not worried about state laws as .40 is allowed in my state.

Whats the best of the best of the 3 cals with least problems? If the .40 worth the trouble?

Oh and what’s with the bore issues and CVA, does the .50 have that also?

Do they make the Paramount in 50 caliber?

I would imagine the most versatile of the bunch would be the .50 Paramount. Since you can shoot 170gr of Black Horn and Heavy Bullets… plus Sabot lesser caliber for flatter trajectory.
From some information I’ve read- less problematic issues with bore size. I’m steering in this direction. Many projectile choices to get. Not to mention I’m sure 300 yards would be realistic, especially with a Drop comp 6.5-20 Leupold

I would imagine the most versatile of the bunch would be the .50 Paramount. Since you can shoot 170gr of Black Horn and Heavy Bullets… plus Sabot lesser caliber for flatter trajectory.
From some information I’ve read- less problematic issues with bore size. I’m steering in this direction. Many projectile choices to get. Not to mention I’m sure 300 yards would be realistic, especially with a Drop comp 6.5-20 Leupold
Personally and nothing against the rifle/s or CVA but, there' a ton of quality issues going on right now with CVA and barrels. I'd hold off until the QC is bettered. Just my 2¢.

Me too. Although their i havent heard anything about .40 or .50 bores, im primarily a .45 shooter and really wanted a new CVA but i am waiting til i believe their current issues are resolved before getting another. I was very close to selling my Accura, when the buyer backed out. Im so glad he did cuz this .45 is snug, consistent, and accurate. It's a 2019. I would buy an early model paramount if i was looking for one.

I wouldn't assume all early paramounts are ok either, I have a first year paramount and the bore is badly choked. It will shoot ELR's into about 1 3/4 - 2" at 100yds. I called CVA a while ago about it and they said I could send it in but probably not anything out of the ordinary..... I tried to get bullets to shoot bullet to bore but there is too much choke to make it work safely.

Ported 45 may not agree

Yet there are a few dead animals that strongly do… with one shot each. 96BF80C9-501B-4821-8315-F0C885CB3F71.jpeg

Latest posts

Back