CVA Paramount Update

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is some impressive shooting.
7 to 10 mph wind will drift bullet 55 to 75 inches appx at that long range shot he definitely called the wind well
A little off topic but I remember coming off the 1000 yard line at camp Grayling Mi. with 18 minutes of left windage on my rear sight. [iron sights, 45-90 black powder ctg. 535 grain bullet] 18 minutes is 15 feet at 1000 yds. Yeah, it was windy.

You need to find a stock-fitter . Kinda hard to locate at times not far away . Should make a tremendous difference in your ability to hit what you see . Like throwing a baseball . ALL SHOTGUNS need this . Its an intimate weapon . Get it fitted " for you" . Ya wont be sorry !!! :thumb:

Try trap and skeet ranges to locate nearby talent if its around . Youll find them........ OR -- Weinig Gunstocks for reccomendations/appointments
This can be expensive if your not carefull . But youll also NEVER shoot better !!! SHOP !!!!
Thank ya kindly for the tips Sideshow. Always enjoyed & appreciated right down to the sentiment behind them. I USE 2 be at the semi local trap range every Thur night with a small group of guys I enjoyed shooting, hunting, fishing, riding our Harleys together. It was more of a social thing & more time spent in the parking lot than on the firing line though. Nearly every Tues after work I'd hit the Skeet/Sporting clay range that was a cpl mi away for 2 rounds of Skeet & 1 round of SC's. I met some amazing ppl at both that were very helpful improving my shooting skills. Both of those places would have been outstanding for the resources like you mentioned. BUT here in nowheresville N Fl. theres NUTHIN!!! & I don't know anyone around here, not even 1 single neighbor in 6 yrs. Not a connected/social area & loudly & proudly not being another sheep in their flock makes me an outcast right down to the fam I have here. TRUTH! I will look into gettin fitted for the Pedersoil when & if I can afford it. That may be never in reality. The learning & journey continues nonetheless. Fortunately I tend to adapt & overcome most things I'm confronted with pretty rapidly. So I'm optimistic & excited to pursue shooting & hunting with my 1st BP shotgun.

A little off topic but I remember coming off the 1000 yard line at camp Grayling Mi. with 18 minutes of left windage on my rear sight. [iron sights, 45-90 black powder ctg. 535 grain bullet] 18 minutes is 15 feet at 1000 yds. Yeah, it was windy.
Off Topic - not for me to decide. But I will say thank you for posting that. It's a heck of an eye opener for guys like myself that have a literal lifetime of shooting & hunting, but have never had the op to shoot longrange or compete LR, or had the op to be trained by military or pro shooters. Hence even after all those yrs of exp, still lacking the understanding of the wind & elements on ballistics & trajectory at extended ranges. These are exactly the things I'm trying to learn about to understand & apply to my shooting ability in hopes of being a competent longrange ML & SML shooter myself. Kind regards

:thumb:
Thank ya kindly for the tips Sideshow. Always enjoyed & appreciated right down to the sentiment behind them. I USE 2 be at the semi local trap range every Thur night with a small group of guys I enjoyed shooting, hunting, fishing, riding our Harleys together. It was more of a social thing & more time spent in the parking lot than on the firing line though. Nearly every Tues after work I'd hit the Skeet/Sporting clay range that was a cpl mi away for 2 rounds of Skeet & 1 round of SC's. I met some amazing ppl at both that were very helpful improving my shooting skills. Both of those places would have been outstanding for the resources like you mentioned. BUT here in nowheresville N Fl. theres NUTHIN!!! & I don't know anyone around here, not even 1 single neighbor in 6 yrs. Not a connected/social area & loudly & proudly not being another sheep in their flock makes me an outcast right down to the fam I have here. TRUTH! I will look into gettin fitted for the Pedersoil when & if I can afford it. That may be never in reality. The learning & journey continues nonetheless. Fortunately I tend to adapt & overcome most things I'm confronted with pretty rapidly. So I'm optimistic & excited to pursue shooting & hunting with my 1st BP shotgun.
There is another way but its Far from the best my friend . There are a few books written on the subject and 1 by an English guy stands out . Cant remember the book or his name . Anyway ya get a copied buttstock to shape yourself and following the books directions and a MIRROR ya do it yourself !!! Crazy i know , maybe not as good but i also know its not all bad for a guy on a budget . Dam box , it just dont fit.......:thumb:

:topic:

If you guys want to start another topic about shotguns, ranges, shooting books, etc., please do. This topic is about CVA Paramount.
Sorry Halloflin, I know bud, I did it again. I understand, I get it & why ya need to keep on our/my butts & deleting stuff off topic & its all good. No flack from me. Kind regards always

it is similar to a star tip you might have to ask Dennis for a more complete description at fury bullets , I will post a picture of the bullet later today when I can catch Wi-Fi, anyway just to remind everyone interested in more bullets for the Paramount the 250 star tip, 275 * tip and the new 265 prototype all shot better than the blue spaceship in my Paramount,I know those that want to shoot other bullets are probably going to have to buy sizing die but that doesn't really cost that much.
what sizing die do you recomend?

No MI 8
Toby doesn't even have one. He posted some first thoughts about it back in mid February, after the SHOT Show. It appears he's still waiting on a production model to wring out (review).

Unless I missed it, this is all I've seen?

CVA-LR-45-Paramount

One thing I forgot to mention about CVA's Customer Service.

Sure is nice to have a real person answer the phone immediately, and not have to wait in a queue for up to a half hour or so, or worse yet nobody answer the phone after several attempts.
Oh yes I like that bullet.
it is similar to a star tip you might have to ask Dennis for a more complete description at fury bullets , I will post a picture of the bullet later today when I can catch Wi-Fi, anyway just to remind everyone interested in more bullets for the Paramount the 250 star tip, 275 * tip and the new 265 prototype all shot better than the blue spaceship in my Paramount,I know those that want to shoot other bullets are probably going to have to buy sizing die but that doesn't really cost that much.

Also been trying to find bullets other than ELR's to shoot and agree the 84 gr 209 range charge is sufficient for my purposes. Have used ELR'S, Fury 275 at .452 and Fury 265 STB at .453. Problem is my barrel diameter is such that the only one that loads with consistent pressure is the ELR. In clean barrel a .452 even knurled basically falls through except for slight resistance at a rough section about quarter distance from muzzle, after which no resistance. Its slightly better with knurled 453 but again very little resistance after tight spot. Worried about bullet not maintaining proper seat against powder. After three or 4 shots the knurled .453's do have some resistance while seating bullet. First, any suggestions on how to slug barrel to see actual dimensions, and second, what would you consider to be an excessive bore? All three bullets appear to shoot accurately.

No mi 8,,the 265 stb do not need sizing in my Paramount when weather is hot,,if I had to knurl .453 bullets then I would just stick with the ELRs,, or make sure my barrel had enough fouling to make bullet tension more secure,,my bore sounds just like yours!!!452 bullets shoot accurately but fit loose,, guess if I choose to hunt with Paramount,I will be careful with bullet seating,,,I do think when temps are below 50 degree the .453 will be fine in my gun,,, have you tried any 40 cal in sabot,,like the fury .402. 250 gr or Pittman??might give you other options

No mi 8,,the 265 stb do not need sizing in my Paramount when weather is hot,,if I had to knurl .453 bullets then I would just stick with the ELRs,, or make sure my barrel had enough fouling to make bullet tension more secure,,my bore sounds just like yours!!!452 bullets shoot accurately but fit loose,, guess if I choose to hunt with Paramount,I will be careful with bullet seating,,,I do think when temps are below 50 degree the .453 will be fine in my gun,,, have you tried any 40 cal in sabot,,like the fury .402. 250 gr or Pittman??might give you other options
Thanks for the information. Would really like to shoot full bore. As you suggested may just use ELR's. Will have to conduct some water jug or other expansion testing at 2200 fps to get more information before deciding. Do you recall any test results being posted on the boards for ELR's at close to that velocity? Appreciate your helpful information.

There's a lot of paramount shooters out there I think you'll be able to find that information,,,I like my gun I've raved about it a lot it's got it's imperfections but out of the box it's one of the most accurate muzzleloaders I've ever had as far as factory gun is concerned,,, I know Dennis at fury bullets has a new 50 cal bullet with a solid plastic back,,,I think a lot of guys with Remington ultimate muzzleloaders are having great success with them,, wouldn't it be nice to have that 453 bullet with a plastic seal on the bottom of it that didn't come off , like his new 50 cal bullets check them out on his website,,or here,,, they are 50 cal not 452,,my paramount has for the most part become only a target rifle I have a lot lighter weight more traditional open grip rifles that I deer hunt with,,,I am going to shoot some deer with that .453 just in a different barrel,, not the paramount this year,, I have a little mini- howa that loves that bullet

There's a lot of paramount shooters out there I think you'll be able to find that information,,,I like my gun I've raved about it a lot it's got it's imperfections but out of the box it's one of the most accurate muzzleloaders I've ever had as far as factory gun is concerned,,, I know Dennis at fury bullets has a new 50 cal bullet with a solid plastic back,,,I think a lot of guys with Remington ultimate muzzleloaders are having great success with them,, wouldn't it be nice to have that 453 bullet with a plastic seal on the bottom of it that didn't come off , like his new 50 cal bullets check them out on his website,,or here,,, they are 50 cal not 452,,my paramount has for the most part become only a target rifle I have a lot lighter weight more traditional open grip rifles that I deer hunt with,,,I am going to shoot some deer with that .453 just in a different barrel,, not the paramount this year,, I have a little mini- howa that loves that bullet

Shoot him an email. It's been my experience with him that he just might accomodate, especially if there's a couple peoples interested.

Shoot him an email. It's been my experience with him that he just might accomodate, especially if there's a couple peoples interested.
I will email him about my interest in 45 cal version. Perhaps I'm trying to make the original Paramount into something it wasn't meant to be, but would like it to be under 10# total weight with scope and everything. Have ordered Boyds 2.5# stock I believe will fit and swapped to lighter scope and rings. If recoil with loads of 209 in the 84 grain range is more than I want than possibly a brake.. I know it's never going to be a light woods rifle just don't like its present weight and balance. Win or lose, like so many ideas discussed on here, the satisfaction is in the effort to achieve it.

You think a lot like I do,, I love my paramount,but I can't stand the tactical stock to deer hunt with, it's okay if I'm target shooting,, there our other stock options I see that you've investigated that,,and I'm not shooting over 84 grains without a muzzle break , I would hope we see a paramount lightweight in a few years if not sooner,, now if I was 25 years old maybe that rifle weight wouldn't bother me but it sure does at 60,, I like the stock much better that they have on the 50 cal paramount,, when you get your Paramount rebuilt you're going to have to post some pics!!

Awesome post, nice buck. The Paramount is easily a 300yd ML all day long. The ELR's do great out to those ranges as well. I had a Titanium 1pc 5 port brake only 3oz put on my Paramount. I just got the call yesterday from the gunsmith that its finally done ( only after about 6wks of having it ) but I cant pay for it until 5/1. Watch the Youtube video of Mike Deming from Sportsmans Warehouse ( I've seen him on TV too on one of the hunting/outdoor channels. He is shooting the Paramount with 98gr BH 209 BW & the ELR's out to 730yds & drops em in at 1/2 moa at 600yds. Very cool! Mike's a great guy too & helped me decide on getting a Paramount along with a cpl awesome guys in here.
I use to hunt with a cpl young guys & their dads in Pa & Wva & western Md & they took notice of how much thought I put into where I placed myself with my 26lb orig model Sumit Viper self climber, my rifle, utility belt with 3 pouches full of gear & food, and my canteen, GPS & everything I needed to spend dark to dark hunting if necessary & what I thought I needed for any emergency. I was loaded down & still at times went 1-2 miles into nowhere to hunt deer or black bear. I'd always place myself where theoretically would be the easiest to drag my kill out. I did get a shoulder strap drag & some rope at first. Then I wised up a lil bit & bought the drag harness which was much easier. I use to be healthy & strong enough to just throw the deer over my shoulder & carry it out. NO More. lol I need one of them lil carts with the wheels on it to get my deer out now.

I hear ya. Turned 62 this year and had a mild heart attack. Had to get 4 stents installed in my ticker. Where I hunt in Pa.its walk in only, which means if you get a deer, it's drag out only. I got one of those carts with wheels but haven't had the chance to use it yet.

mrhunterken, you should try boning out your deer. Getted, skinned and boned, a deer doesn't weigh that much. I've got an Accura LR .45, so I'm very interested in what shoots well in the Paramount. I had to send it back for a new barrel, because the first one was junk. They sent it back with a 2-1/4" 3 shot group (at 100 yards). Not that impressive.

I hear ya. Turned 62 this year and had a mild heart attack. Had to get 4 stents installed in my ticker. Where I hunt in Pa.its walk in only, which means if you get a deer, it's drag out only. I got one of those carts with wheels but haven't had the chance to use it yet.
Yes sir, I've hunted the same in Pa pub land. Sorry to hear about your heart attack. I hope thats fixed & ya have many more yrs of shooting & hunting ahead of ya. I just ordered that deer cart ( 300lb cap. ) yesterday & I got a new Summit Viper Mini ( 18lbs instead of the 26lbs of the older one ) my health aint gonna let me carry that on my back & drag a deer out. Even draggin the deer out a few hundred yds is too much now. So this yr I'll be hunting back up in the air again, I'll be able to hunt a lil farther away if needed & deer & stand & everything else will be goin on that new lil hand cart. Until I cant pull that either, then perhaps an E Bike

Back