CVA Paramount

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was 100 yards. My next trip will be a light BH209 load. Curious if fouling shot will be in similar spot as primer fouling method.
Also, before I went to range I loaded 20 variflame adapters. Ten were the ones that came with rifle and ten OEM ones I ordered from muzzleloader.com. So I fire of two primers and the adapters were blackened pretty much all over, the third one was clean, no soot. Obviously there’s a difference in the two batches. I’m going to take them to work and check all the pertinent length and diameters to see what the difference is. I’ll post what I learn.
Doggon it. 3 cutting at 100 yds.. I think you are OK for hunting. I would chart 50; 150; and 200 - then get into the field.

Doggon it. 3 cutting at 100 yds.. I think you are OK for hunting. I would chart 50; 150; and 200 - then get into the field.
No doubt, any one of those rounds are good enough for a deer kill. It’s just my nature to keep tinkering to make it better.

Does anyone fire a light fouling shot with BH209 and a lighter weight saboted bullet ? I bought some TC Super 45's to try using as a fouling round with a lighter load.

Does anyone fire a light fouling shot with BH209 and a lighter weight saboted bullet ? I bought some TC Super 45's to try using as a fouling round with a lighter load.
I don't, but its not a bad, cheap way to foul your barrel. I learned right off from shooting 1" grided targets off a benchrest where my foul shot hits @100yds & where it hits after that 1st shot. The difference is pretty consistent at 3"H & 3"R on a clean bore shot, so its not hard to shoot with either once you learn that & use holdover or adj your turret. That 1:22 Bergara barrel will shoot 200-250gr .40 in sabots pretty well. If ya wanted to go that way as a hunting load & not just as a fouling load. It's proving to be a pretty versatile barrel twist rate that many diff load combo's can be made to shoot very well out of it.

I bought a Paramount .45 back in November of 2020, non-threaded barrel. I shoot 100 grains of Blackhorn (by weight) and the Powerbelt ELR 280 gr bullet. I foul the barrel with a charge of 25 or 30 grains of Blackhorn and a sabot and one of many .40 cal pistol bullets I have laying around. I run a single dry patch down the barrel after fouling and then between shots, just for consistency.
It will shoot a 5 shot group of less than 2" at 200yds and will shoot an 8" group at 400yds, off a bench.

I went to Nebraska back in mid December for a deer hunt and the Saturday afternoon before I left Arkansas I shot a fouling shot through it and then ran a single dry patch down the barrel. I loaded it the following Monday morning in Nebraska before going hunting. I killed a deer that Friday with that load. Cleaned it when I got home and will foul the barrel again before shooting it again.

I've shot this rifle about 50 times since I got it and have tried shooting with a clean barrel. It shoots about a 4+ inch group at 100yds when cleaning the barrel between shots, with usually one flyer out of 5 shots that's 6" or more off.

I consider it's accuracy to be extremely good, with a fouled barrel.

I like the idea of primer only because I can do that in the garage, I don’t have to make a special trip to the gun club.

I bought a Paramount .45 back in November of 2020, non-threaded barrel. I shoot 100 grains of Blackhorn (by weight) and the Powerbelt ELR 280 gr bullet. I foul the barrel with a charge of 25 or 30 grains of Blackhorn and a sabot and one of many .40 cal pistol bullets I have laying around. I run a single dry patch down the barrel after fouling and then between shots, just for consistency.
It will shoot a 5 shot group of less than 2" at 200yds and will shoot an 8" group at 400yds, off a bench.

I went to Nebraska back in mid December for a deer hunt and the Saturday afternoon before I left Arkansas I shot a fouling shot through it and then ran a single dry patch down the barrel. I loaded it the following Monday morning in Nebraska before going hunting. I killed a deer that Friday with that load. Cleaned it when I got home and will foul the barrel again before shooting it again.

I've shot this rifle about 50 times since I got it and have tried shooting with a clean barrel. It shoots about a 4+ inch group at 100yds when cleaning the barrel between shots, with usually one flyer out of 5 shots that's 6" or more off.

I consider it's accuracy to be extremely good, with a fouled barrel.
Sounds like you are enjoying your Paramount. Cool! I really am too. That light charge with cheap .40 sabots is a good idea. The gun will shoot much better than what you stated, when I do my part & settle into my shooting I can stack bullets @200yds & though I just got 2 shots on target @400yds I'm sure when I get back to shooting that range it will get to 1/2 moa or better there too. I'll get a flyer too here n there. I can always attribute it to me, not the gun. I've got a cpl hundred shots thru mine in the last yr with a handfull of diff bullets besides the ELR's. The gun really is a versatile sub moa ML. I always enjoy reading what others are doing with their Paramounts & how well they have been able to make them perform. Dang glad I chose mine over the other choices avail.

Last edited:
I foul with a light load and bullet because it's easier than repriming 3 or 4 of the variflame primer adapters.

Back