CVA Powder Drum Replacement Drill & Tap Help/advice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently replaced the old powder drum on my CVA .54 caliber 1:24 ROT St Louis Hawken. I bought a drum blank and the alignment jig from The Track of the wolf.

The directions are simple you install the new drum get your nipple angle and mark the on the face of the drum. Followed by removing the barrel tighten the jig onto the powder drum making sure the flat of the alignment jig is again the flat of the barrel and angle correctly, install drill guide.... You get the picture it's a pretty simple process.

The issue I encountered is though the jig flat was firmly against the the barrel flat. alignment jig drilled the hole center with the hammer in the North to south direction to simplify the picture

But the hole was drilled 5/64" to far outwards to the right (east) in the east to West direction.

Yes I know I can bend the hammer but this was a two barrel Hawken set with the second drum still having original powder drum so that's not an option.

I know I could mill the drum body down but I'm just installing another drum without using the TOW alignment jig

Any advice or tips on marking the drill point alignment of the nipple prior to drilling without the the use of the jig? I've thought about drawing two lines one being around the drum the other being across the drum intersecting directly under the hammer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Can't help but wonder if something was amiss, not lined up right when you used the jig.
I've never attempted a job like that but I would think the jig would be the best way to line up the drum.

Can't help but wonder if something was amiss, not lined up right when you used the jig.
I've never attempted a job like that but I would think the jig would be the best way to line up the drum.
I contacted TOTW they said 0.0781 removed from the flat should correct it for CVA drums

Back