CVA Scout 444 Marlin

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gents,

I have a coworker who has a CVA Scout V2 in 444 Marlin that he is trying to sell one of us at work. He had the barrel cut to 21" and made some other mods, including a Kick EEZE mag recoil pad, filling the stock to make the rifle heavier, and putting a shell carrier on it. All said and done, it weighs in at about 10 pounds.

Anyway, I was thinking about it, but I am not a fan of shooting recreational rifles that beat me up. However, the weight and recoil pad have me thinking about it. I haven't shot it, but before I shot it and potentially fell in love with it, or rattled my teeth, I thought I'd consult you all to see what thoughts you have.

Fire away!

Now this is not apples to apples but I have the CVA Scout V2 in 45-70. Just as it comes from the factory except it has a scope and I screwed off the muzzlebrake because it was too loud. Now 4 of took deer with it this year, two by my daughters and they are a bit recoil conscious but they never had any complaints with recoil. Now the 45-70 may not be a .444 but it is in the "ballpark" and we had no recoil problems.
Perhaps off the bench it might feel differently.

A second thought, maybe he will let you shoot if first and you will know.

Now this is not apples to apples but I have the CVA Scout V2 in 45-70. Just as it comes from the factory except it has a scope and I screwed off the muzzlebrake because it was too loud. Now 4 of took deer with it this year, two by my daughters and they are a bit recoil conscious but they never had any complaints with recoil. Now the 45-70 may not be a .444 but it is in the "ballpark" and we had no recoil problems.
Perhaps off the bench it might feel differently.

Thank you for your reply sir. I appreciate it. I went ahead and bought it...I couldn't help myself. :drool:

I would think with his modifications recoil would be tolerable but unsure of the balance with a shorter barrel and more weight out back but a handy size to carry for sure. I really am surprised how good the accuracy is and quite a decent trigger, under 3 pounds and no creep but not adjustable.

Once I get some time to spend some dedicated time shooting it, I will definitely follow up here on my impressions for those who may Google the same things I did in trying to find an answer.

I definitely agree to you, and some other members here, that the CVA Scout shoots far better, has a better trigger, and has better build quality (with the exception of the butt stock, of course) than its low price would ever suggest. I feel the same way about my beloved Glocks, although they do require a tweak or two, just as the CVA does.

Anyway, I love my current Accura and 445 SuperMag Scout; they both have amazing triggers. That said, I do prefer the trigger on the Scout, even though it is not adjustable like the one on the Accura.

From a professional perspective, I love semi and full autos. From a hunting/recreational perspective, I love my muzzleloader and single shot rifles. I personally appreciate a rugged, dependable, accurate, single shot, all weather rifle that can stand up to whatever I throw at it to anything else. It's gravy when that rifle can be had for right at $300 or less, so I can spend more money on quality optics, good ammo, and practice. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate aesthetically pleasing firearms, and they are likely just as dependable, I just prefer not to own any.

Latest posts

Back