CVA Shooters - Have you seen this!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
For 2010 and newer CVA Breech Plug with removable Vent Liner

CVA-Breech-Plug.jpg

Follow this link

https://www.lehighdefense.com/index...f7-sub-category-for-muzzleloader,breech-plugs

We were talking about those last week, wasn’t sure if they had removable vent liners?

We were talking about those last week, wasn’t sure if they had removable vent liners?

Their description doesn't mention a vent liner, but neither does the one for the Knight that has a vent liner. Seems like it would be beneficial to mention that, or at least show the vent liner in the pics?

I sent them an e-mail earlier today asking about the vent liner and if one was included, but only got the automated response so far. Maybe tomorrow?

I would also like to see the primer pocket, and if they have a slot for the one time seating wrench? Diameter and length of the flame channel?

Last edited:
Isn't that the same modification Ron has been doing for years by adding a vent liner. His plugs sure are a lot easier to clean and shoot BH just fine!

Isn't that the same modification Ron has been doing for years by adding a vent liner. His plugs sure are a lot easier to clean and shoot BH just fine!

I got a similar question on another forum and wrote this response.

So if I already have the BH209 breech plug for my Accura, this isn't something I need (want)?

This is a replacement plug for a factory (CVA) breech plug. If you have already purchased an aftermarket plug for shooting BH-209 - you are kinda good to go.

With out the description, which should be coming on the Web Site soon, I can only speculate this plug is made from 17-4 Stainless Steel which is a much harder, longer wearing steel, than 416 stainless - IF that is what CVA is using.

And additional feature is the replaceable vent liner. So theoretically you would never have a need to replace the whole breech plug - just the vent liner as the flash hole erodes from being shot.

This is a pic of the new style Lehigh Vent Liner. These new Vent Liners are made of 17-4 and heat treated for an extended life. These vent liners were originally built to be replacement vent liners for Savage smokeless ML's. The new vent liners are now suppose to be even more durable than the original liners and far more durable than the 416 vent liners contracted by Knight.

Lehigh_New_Vent_Liners.jpg

I am using one of the new ones in my Knight Super DISC, but only have 114 shots through it. The flash hole still measures 0.031 - doesn't seem to be any movement at all. I am shooting 120 grs. of BH (volume) and a 260 grain 45x260 grain bullet.

So... back to your original question - if you have a BH plug and it doing it's job - you probably do not need one of these plugs at this time. But somewhere in the future as your 'flash hole' erodes out it could be a consideration.

I probably should mention that the plug has been tested by Western Powders at their facility.

When the description gets posted I am sure you will see some differences between factory plugs and the Lehigh.

17-4 is a better SS for plugs than any others ive seen used. There may be better CM steels for plugs but not if you need corrosion resistance.

Thats a great price considering the price of the CVA or Western Powders BH209 plugs. Even with the extra cost of a vent and shipping its still very fair.

Got a reply this afternoon. It is a vent liner plug, and it comes with a vent liner.

"....., yes the CVA Plug does come with a vent liner. Once we open up the SSK Website we will have all of the descriptions entered."

This will be a far better choice than the CVA Blackhorn breech plug, especially when you consider the price and functionality.

This will be a very nice breech plug for all the CVA Tip-Up rifles, but especially so for the new fast twist .45 caliber Accura.

Very much like the conversion I do to my CVA plugs and use the Badger Ridge liners. I haven't shot out a liner yet using BH209 nor have I seen a hang-fire or a mis-fire in any weather or temperature. I converted a couple plugs for my .45 Kodiac to use the liners for 209 use and the gun loves the combination of powder and liner. For the money this Lehigh plug is just plain affordable and a package of 4 liners should put anyone into shootin-fool mode for a long, long time.

Does the vent liner mod eliminate the need for the firing pin shim and/or o-ring in the primer pocket for those shooters dealing with primer blowby? If so, I hope Lehigh is prepared for the sales volume that is surely to come...:thumb:

Does the vent liner mod eliminate the need for the firing pin shim and/or o-ring in the primer pocket for those shooters dealing with primer blowby? If so, I hope Lehigh is prepared for the sales volume that is surely to come...:thumb:
. NO.

As mentioned, no. What it does do is make spending the price of a new plug every couple hundred shots using the 209 powder, obsolete. A $5.00 liner and you're back in the game. The liners will last way longer than the 209 compatible plugs. I've run maybe 300 rounds thru one of my plugs with a liner and the hole is still the same as the day it went in the plug. You can't do that using 209 powder and a simple replacement plug. Its all in the liner.

Do the O-rings or better yet the shim kit to get rid of leaking primers in addition to this new plug and you should be one smiling dude.

Thanks, I was just curious. Fortunately, I don’t have the blow by problems with the Western plug and Winchester blue box primers. That said, I ordered the Lehigh plug, and the vent liners, a few minutes before posting that question. I was sold the minute I read that the plug was made by Lehigh and it was confirmed it used vent liners. I’m a big fan of Lehigh products.

I received the breech plug and the four additional vent liners I ordered from Lehigh. The vent liner that came installed in the breech plug obviously fits, but the other four vent liners do not. I emailed Mr. Vogel to let him know the four vent liners did not fit. I will post his response here. That said, the vent liner that came installed in the breech plug looks polished while the other four do not, so maybe I am missing something. Any thoughts?

Sounds like the older Ventliners that sort of looked gray? I would think they still should work.:think: Did they just not start in the threads?

They do appear to be gray ones. One of the four will not start in the threads. Two of the remaining three will start, and I get a few turns, they will just not tighten down completely (meaning the vent liner will not let me screw it in far enough for the head to seat properly). The final vent liner will tighten down further, but it will also not fully seat. For frame of reference, the liner that came in the breech plug gives me about nine half turns while the best I can get with any of the four other vent liners is around four half turns.

By the way, the plug DOES have the slot for breech plug wrench from Western/CVA.

Mr. Vogel is going to get back to me later, but he immediately responded to my original email to let me know he was going to do some research and get back to me. If any company makes it right, I know Lehigh will.

By the way, I hope I didn’t buy the last four and keep any of you from buying any.

Last edited:
Below is the response from Lehigh:

BEGIN:

We only produce one vent liner for all the plugs.

We had a problem with one lot of vent liners where the carburizing built up on the surface. They were gas beaded and then we were supposed to have run them all in a plug to smooth out the threads. It looks like we missed a batch.

Gordy, please pull the bagged vent liners. I wonder if we forgot to check these?

Please send me your address or order number and I will send out replacements. The ones you have will probably be fine if you run them in and out a few times so keep them as spares.

END

Again, Lehigh made it right. I am still going to send the old vent liners back, so maybe they can resell them after running them in a plug. I don't want to force anything when it comes to threads.

As Ron mentioned you could just run them in and out of a #10 x 32 nut to clean them up, or even a Die. The Nut (if you don't have one) would be cheaper than the cost of shipping.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the advice on using the nut to clean the threads. I ultimately decided to send them back, and they arrived today in Quakertown, PA, today. I will be receiving replacements soon, and will post the additional information here.

Anyway, Mr. Fricke is also sending me some free 240 grain controlled fracturing bullets with the vent liners. That said, I am going to post them in the "Give It Away" section. I feel guilty about him sending them to me, but it will give someone else the opportunity to experience the effectiveness and confidence that comes along with using and seeing the Lehigh Defense/Knight Bloodline at work. I only want to give them to someone who has never used them before so they can try them out. Maybe I can recruit another controlled fracturing convert :dance:I can't say enough good about Lehigh Defense.

Back